Need advice from vegans: How much protein do I really need to be consuming.... REALLY??

Options
So here's the deal.... I'm transitioning to vegan after being a vegetarian for about 9 years. I'm going vegan for ethical and environmental concerns primarily, but for health reasons as well.

I took a break from MFP and calorie tracking for a couple of months but now I"m getting back into the swing of things. I am shocked at how hard it is to match the suggested protein goal while consuming vegan "whole" foods. I do sometimes drink a scoop of vegan protein powder with cashew or almond milk, but that's generally not recommended by most food experts. I'm reading that the idea is to get your protein from "real" food, not powders. It's very challenging for me to meet my daily protein goal and still stay under my calorie intake. I eat quinoa, beans, nuts, tofu, seitan, protein rich greens.... but dang.... i feel like I need to down a couple of pounds or more of this stuff just to get up there and that's way too many calories for someone who is trying to lose 1 lb a week at a daily limit of 1500 calories a day.

Anybody (specifically vegans, or vegan -friendly MFPers) out there have any tips to share? I'm trying really hard to eat as close to the natural sources whenever possible and am trying to cut out all junk food so I've got as many calories as possible for protein sources.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The RDA for a sedentary individual is 0.8 grams per Kg of body weight...the RDA for protein is the amount recommended to meet basic nutritional requirements...so that's basically the minimum. For the average sedentary female, that amounts to around a very modest 46 grams.

If you're active you will be breaking down tissue and would require more. More is also recommended when cutting weight to help preserve muscle mass.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/how-much-protein-do-you-need-every-day-201506188096
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I usually aim for 25-30% of calories from protein which should get you in the right ballpark, which is in excess of the mfp default suggestion. It's pretty easy to reach in most days (a lot easier with things like seitan, admittedly).
  • mimsywhimsy
    mimsywhimsy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan who eats a whole food plant based diet with a caloric deficit (some days just over 1200 calories) and get about 53-76 grams a day. I'm totally fine with that! It's harder to get more when you eat less, definitely. Overall I think I'm doing pretty well although I do very little exercise.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    About how many grams are you trying to get, and how short are you falling?
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

According to MFP I should have 78 grams of protein a day, and today I have 56 grams. That's including a scoop of vegan protein powder with a cup of almond milk. My average protein intake varies wildly. Some days I get pretty close.... but I go over on calories :(. Most days I'm on target with my calories but way under on protein. I eat a lot of vegetables and fruit, some whole grains, and then throw protein in there whenever I can. Maybe I need to start by figuring out how much protein-rich food I can eat to meet my goal and then adding veggies and grains around that?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

According to MFP I should have 78 grams of protein a day, and today I have 56 grams. That's including a scoop of vegan protein powder with a cup of almond milk. My average protein intake varies wildly. Some days I get pretty close.... but I go over on calories :(. Most days I'm on target with my calories but way under on protein. I eat a lot of vegetables and fruit, some whole grains, and then throw protein in there whenever I can. Maybe I need to start by figuring out how much protein-rich food I can eat to meet my goal and then adding veggies and grains around that?

The daily protein struggle is generally real. So if you're making 2/3 of your goal- that's pretty good. I generally try to hit my protein goals and then work around them as well. Keep trying- you never really "arrive" it's just a keep trying situation. But don't beat yourself up for not hitting it every day- few people have perfect macro splits every day- it's not realistic.
  • missionprobable
    missionprobable Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There are some fake meats that are vegan friendly and are lower calorie. I would invest some time researching Morningstar and Boca etc to see which of their products are vegan because a lot of your fake meats are high in protein. Hope this helps!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Most of my vegetarian friends eat either dairy or fish. There is a group here called I think Happy Herbivores or something like that. Perhaps if you can find that group they'll be able to give you some ideas.

I wouldn't be afraid of the vegan protein powder either. Try to get protein into your regular meals, but if the farthest you get off track is some protein powder, I think your golden :smile:
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Here’s a blog article from Rich Roll, who is an ultra marathoner and vegan. You might find this helpful.

http://www.richroll.com/blog/slaying-the-protein-myth/
  • missionprobable
    missionprobable Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Most of my vegetarian friends eat either dairy or fish. There is a group here called I think Happy Herbivores or something like that. Perhaps if you can find that group they'll be able to give you some ideas.

I wouldn't be afraid of the vegan protein powder either. Try to get protein into your regular meals, but if the farthest you get off track is some protein powder, I think your golden :smile:

FYI That's far from vegetarian. People of that nature are called pescatarian. Fish is an animal = meat.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I think I'm vegan -friendly. Use the search tool to find the Protein%Food list and download it. Of course it lists many animal sources of protein, but it also lists the best plant sources of protein.

You can use the USDA database to search for protein sources. It's sufficiently complex that I don't depend upon it.
  • avagrace44
    avagrace44 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So here's the deal.... I'm transitioning to vegan after being a vegetarian for about 9 years. I'm going vegan for ethical and environmental concerns primarily, but for health reasons as well.

I took a break from MFP and calorie tracking for a couple of months but now I"m getting back into the swing of things. I am shocked at how hard it is to match the suggested protein goal while consuming vegan "whole" foods. I do sometimes drink a scoop of vegan protein powder with cashew or almond milk, but that's generally not recommended by most food experts. I'm reading that the idea is to get your protein from "real" food, not powders. It's very challenging for me to meet my daily protein goal and still stay under my calorie intake. I eat quinoa, beans, nuts, tofu, seitan, protein rich greens.... but dang.... i feel like I need to down a couple of pounds or more of this stuff just to get up there and that's way too many calories for someone who is trying to lose 1 lb a week at a daily limit of 1500 calories a day.

Anybody (specifically vegans, or vegan -friendly MFPers) out there have any tips to share? I'm trying really hard to eat as close to the natural sources whenever possible and am trying to cut out all junk food so I've got as many calories as possible for protein sources.

I feel your pain. I had changed my diet to raw vegan back in February 2016, I wasn't able to get enough protein at all. Things that had protein like quinoa, beans, nuts etc., would put me way over in my carbs/fats target macro numbers. My goal is to get healthy and part of that is losing weight. You need protein to lose weight and build lean muscle mass. So, I have had to stray from this for a moment in order to lose the weight. I was losing it very slowly, too slow. Now consuming at least 130 gr of protein, I have had great success and continue too. On average, 1.5-2 pds a week occasionally 3 pds. I really don't think you can get enough protein without supplementing. I still have to consume protein shakes to help maintain my protein macro number. I not into soy, so I use products like Vega and other plant based ones that supply complete protein. The highest and best form of protein is always going to be meat unfortunately or fish. I wish you well in finding an eating plan that will work for you in the long run. Right now, I'm sticking with short term and will worry about the long run when I get to my goal weight. Hopefully, my needs will be different then like being able to consume more carbs/fats and I won't have to worry so much about eating the aforementioned. :smiley: