Need advice from vegans: How much protein do I really need to be consuming.... REALLY??

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    About how many grams are you trying to get, and how short are you falling?

According to MFP I should have 78 grams of protein a day, and today I have 56 grams. That's including a scoop of vegan protein powder with a cup of almond milk. My average protein intake varies wildly. Some days I get pretty close.... but I go over on calories :(. Most days I'm on target with my calories but way under on protein. I eat a lot of vegetables and fruit, some whole grains, and then throw protein in there whenever I can. Maybe I need to start by figuring out how much protein-rich food I can eat to meet my goal and then adding veggies and grains around that?

Most of my vegetarian friends eat either dairy or fish. There is a group here called I think Happy Herbivores or something like that. Perhaps if you can find that group they'll be able to give you some ideas.

I wouldn't be afraid of the vegan protein powder either. Try to get protein into your regular meals, but if the farthest you get off track is some protein powder, I think your golden :smile:

FYI That's far from vegetarian. People of that nature are called pescatarian. Fish is an animal = meat.

Yes, I'm aware. They started out as vegetarian and then added one or the other to get a bit more protein, and they still call themselves vegetarian so that's what I call them.

And it's not "far from vegetarian". I'm far from vegetarian. They eat one other food a few times a week. Thanks though.

if someone is eating fish regularly- they aren't vegetarians.

that's like me saying I'm vegetarian because I have meatless meals occasionally.
  • dragthewaters1991
    dragthewaters1991 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    We don't -- but we know that focusing on clinical deficiency as the sole metric of vegan nutrition doesn't necessarily set people up for success. Your argument is that avoiding an outright diagnosis of clinical protein deficiency is sufficient. I disagree with that. My personal standard is to not just avoid that diagnosis, but to thrive. I would assume that is OP's goal as well.

What I originally said was that many people thrive as raw vegans getting less protein than OP is getting. Sure, some people quit due to feeling ill, but where is the evidence those cases are due to lack of protein rather than another reason? People also quit the paleo diet and every other type of diet due to feeling ill. OP has said nothing about experiencing any symptoms that indicate she may have a "protein deficiency."
    When you refer to "pretty much every nutrition guide" is that a statement that you don't have any evidence that protein powder is harmful to health? I have no idea what you mean when you say that whole foods are "healthier" than protein powder if you have no data showing that protein powder is harmful to health. What does this mean to you if you're not referring to actual outcomes in human health?

Show me where I ever said protein powder is harmful to health in my initial post. The OP was the one who said she had concerns about eating protein powder. I said it may not be as healthy as unprocessed foods but it's fine. Sorry you have problems with reading comprehension.
    That article is referring to contaminated protein powders that have lead or other harmful substances. Nobody is arguing that those are healthful. There have also been instances of food-borne illness related to whole foods like greens, but using those to argue that consuming greens is unhealthful overall wouldn't be reasonable, would it?

Not every bunch of greens is contaminated with bacteria. Every sample of protein powder they tested had heavy metals.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    We don't -- but we know that focusing on clinical deficiency as the sole metric of vegan nutrition doesn't necessarily set people up for success. Your argument is that avoiding an outright diagnosis of clinical protein deficiency is sufficient. I disagree with that. My personal standard is to not just avoid that diagnosis, but to thrive. I would assume that is OP's goal as well.

What I originally said was that many people thrive as raw vegans getting less protein than OP is getting. Sure, some people quit due to feeling ill, but where is the evidence those cases are due to lack of protein rather than another reason? People also quit the paleo diet and every other type of diet due to feeling ill. OP has said nothing about experiencing any symptoms that indicate she may have a "protein deficiency."
    When you refer to "pretty much every nutrition guide" is that a statement that you don't have any evidence that protein powder is harmful to health? I have no idea what you mean when you say that whole foods are "healthier" than protein powder if you have no data showing that protein powder is harmful to health. What does this mean to you if you're not referring to actual outcomes in human health?

Show me where I ever said protein powder is harmful to health in my initial post. The OP was the one who said she had concerns about eating protein powder. I said it may not be as healthy as unprocessed foods but it's fine. Sorry you have problems with reading comprehension.
    That article is referring to contaminated protein powders that have lead or other harmful substances. Nobody is arguing that those are healthful. There have also been instances of food-borne illness related to whole foods like greens, but using those to argue that consuming greens is unhealthful overall wouldn't be reasonable, would it?

Not every bunch of greens is contaminated with bacteria. Every sample of protein powder they tested had heavy metals.

Yes, and I said that many people *don't* thrive as raw vegans and protein could be part of the reason why. When you look at a group of people who have stuck with raw veganism and assume that means *any amount of protein* is sufficient for people to thrive or that protein guidelines don't apply to vegans, it's risky to ignore all the people who have tried raw veganism and abandoned the lifestyle because they didn't feel well. You need to look at the whole picture.

People who quit the paleo diet due to not feeling well may also represent a group not getting their nutritional needs met. If we were having this conversation about how paleo was healthful no matter how many of your nutritional needs were being met, I would bring up former paleo dieters who quit due to not feeling well/health concerns as well.

You said that protein powder wasn't as "healthy." I asked you how it could harm health. If you don't believe that protein powder can impair or harm health (in the context of non-contaiminated food, just as we would discuss greens or peanut butter or any other food), then please clarify what you mean by it not being as healthy.

For me, when someone says something isn't as healthy, there seems to be a claim that it is not good or harmful in some way.

I don't find a test sample of 15 to convince me that protein powder should totally be avoided. In any event, if heavy metal contamination was your primary concern, I don't understand why you didn't lead with that instead of vague claims that protein powder isn't as "healthy" as whole foods.
  • dragthewaters1991
    edited February 2018
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    how are you vegan if you eat two eggs a day?

I'm so effing confused.

I never said I was vegan, I said I eat a MOSTLY plant-based diet (ie. everything is vegan except for two eggs and one serving of dairy per day). Another person who has problems with reading comprehension.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I already said multiple times, it's not as healthy because it's a processed food. EVERY dietary expert out there agrees that non-processed foods are healthier than processed ones, for reasons which I already stated.

what reasons? Because processed foods retain less "nutrients"?
    that is not a good enough reason considering you can get your base line nutrients from a serving size of a cereal every day.
  • dragthewaters1991
    edited February 2018
    Options
    what reasons? Because processed foods retain less "nutrients"?
    that is not a good enough reason considering you can get your base line nutrients from a serving size of a cereal every day.

You're welcome to read about the reasons for these recommendations from experts if you don't believe what I'm saying. Also added vitamins are actually not as good for you as naturally occurring vitamins, and taking daily synthetic vitamins actually may raise the risk of death, for reasons which are not entirely clear.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/3339855/Vitamin-pills-increase-risk-of-early-death.html

• JoRocka
    Options
    You're going to die of something anyway- I fail to see the level of concern here.

secondly- that's not what the article says exactly.
    specifically it says long term impact hasn't been established.
    Their impact on long-term health may not have been fully established and they cannot be assumed to be without risk.

so- incorrect.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    side note Jane- I think I finally realized on Friday that you're avatar was a turtle eating what appears to be potatoes.

Don't ask me what I thought it was before- I'm not sure.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    side note Jane- I think I finally realized on Friday that you're avatar was a turtle eating what appears to be potatoes.

Don't ask me what I thought it was before- I'm not sure.

There was a thread a while ago where people were discussing what they saw . . . a lot of people thought it was steak and potatoes! It was almost like a personality test, all the different things that people see in the picture . . .
  • dragthewaters1991
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's also worth noting that the concern really seems to be "you don't need huge amounts of protein" (which is not what is being discussed here)

Literally the title of the original post is "how much protein do I really need to be consuming?" My answer was "not as much as the current obsession with protein would have you believe" and there were other answers along those lines before mine, so I'm not sure why everyone is picking a fight with me.
    You're going to die of something anyway- I fail to see the level of concern here.

secondly- that's not what the article says exactly.
    specifically it says long term impact hasn't been established.
    Their impact on long-term health may not have been fully established and they cannot be assumed to be without risk.

so- incorrect.

Now you're just arguing with me for the sake of arguing with me. If you don't care what you eat or how long you live then why are you even on MFP?