Women in their 40s!

Options

Replies

• girlspartan
    girlspartan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    daisyf717 wrote: »

I’d add weight lifting, but that’s just from my experience with turning 40 (so it may not be the same for you). I just felt like I couldn’t get the weight off and my weight was fluctuating a lot. I added weight lifting and it’s taken some trial and error (I’m 42)... and I’ve lost interest/motivation and then gotten it back a time or two... but it’s definitely better than it was.
    I’d add the “use a scale for everything you eat advice too” really does work for me. I like to eat and I’m not good hungry so I’ve really had to clean up my diet and weigh everything. And balancing eating with lifting can be hard, but it’s doable. Just a slow process (for me personally).

Thanks! I will try and add some weight lifting as well. My muscle tone and strength have decreased over the past few years so this is a great recommendation. The weight doesn’t seem to come off as easy anymore , but staying motivated !
  • girlspartan
    girlspartan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey! 47 here. Been athletic my whole life, and got derailed by a back Injury last spring. Went from daily exercise (boxing, Jiu Jitsu, Weight training, hiking, running) to barely being able to bend over. 24 monthes later I am weak, 30 pounds heavier (I was used to being able to eat whatever I want because of my activity level), and finally pain free. Weighed in at 175, goal 145. Want to lost it by sept 23 (my 48th birthday). Not sure how active this group is, but here I am!

Glad you are pain free now and getting back into it ! Good luck on your journey !
  • jennylea70
    jennylea70 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    First name: Jen
    Where are you from: Massachusetts
    Any pets: Dog (Mikey)
    Work: Nurse
    Hobbies: Camping, reading, walking. I'm boring, lol
    Kids: I have 2 - 12 and 9.

SW:232.4
    CW: 184.5
    GW: 150

I've been stuck in the 180's for about 6 months. My birthday is in June and I am determined to give myself the gift of seeing the 170's!

My biggest problem is at night, it's so hard not to snack!!!! What do you do to keep yourself from snacking at night? (Besides go to bed which I have done, lol)!
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Grammytryingtogetfit Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    vibj84la99k6.png
    Happy Little Friday Lovely Ladies!!!!! Let's get out there and kick some booty today :):)
  • kenkel4
    kenkel4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hey! 47 here. Been athletic my whole life, and got derailed by a back Injury last spring. Went from daily exercise (boxing, Jiu Jitsu, Weight training, hiking, running) to barely being able to bend over. 24 monthes later I am weak, 30 pounds heavier (I was used to being able to eat whatever I want because of my activity level), and finally pain free. Weighed in at 175, goal 145. Want to lost it by sept 23 (my 48th birthday). Not sure how active this group is, but here I am!

Welcome. I am 47 too, but I have t been active since high school. I started at 175 as well and I am at about 155 now. I’m only 5’1 so my ideal weight is closer to 140.
  • abbyjack2
    abbyjack2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    With the long holiday weekend, my healthy eating is going to take a hit. Will try to sneak in some exercise when I can. We'll see what happens on Monday:)
  • MJsStory
    MJsStory Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I just turned 40 and am trying to lose 96 lbs. looking for motivated healthy friends
  • daisyf717
    daisyf717 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    jennylea70 wrote: »
    First name: Jen
    Where are you from: Massachusetts
    Any pets: Dog (Mikey)
    Work: Nurse
    Hobbies: Camping, reading, walking. I'm boring, lol
    Kids: I have 2 - 12 and 9.

SW:232.4
    CW: 184.5
    GW: 150

I've been stuck in the 180's for about 6 months. My birthday is in June and I am determined to give myself the gift of seeing the 170's!

My biggest problem is at night, it's so hard not to snack!!!! What do you do to keep yourself from snacking at night? (Besides go to bed which I have done, lol)!

I used to have too much wine and then snacks... so now mainly I have tea. But I had to find one I really liked. I love bengal spice tea by celestial seasons.
    I also keep a stash of dark chocolate (highly suggest the Lindt dark caramel with sea salt, it’s really yummy and it’s a nice hit of salt without being salty — which I love bc I love chips, etc too).
    Good luck!
  • kenkel4
    kenkel4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    We made it through the holiday weekend. I have some ground to make up this week, but I am determined to do it. Have a great week, everyone!
  • abbyjack2
    abbyjack2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    First name: Lisa
    Where are you from: Wisconsin
    Any pets: No
    Work: Quality Assurance Manager
    Hobbies: Walking, reading, fishing, gardening
    Kids: I have 2 - 8 and 9

SW:161
    CW: 156
    GW: 140

I have been stuck in the 150's for the past year. My birthday at the end of June and it would be great if I could break below 150.

Lately, I have been eating greek yogurt with my lunch, and eating eggs and sweet potatoes for breakfast which has helped me snack less in between meals. Snacking at night is an issue at times, though I am trying harder not to do that.

I did not gain any weight over the holiday weekend which was a nice surprise with the amount of alcohol I was drinking. But it probably helped that I went for walks everyday and was outside doing work.

If I could break below 150, I would be pretty happy.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Name: Melissa
    Pets: 2 kitties
    Job: hairdresser
    Hobbies: cooking and working out, going to concerts
    Kids: unfortunately not.

SW- 254.6
    CW- 157.2
    GW- I'm past my original goal weight and lowering it 5 pounds at a time until I'm happy. Thinking 150 right now.

I would love to be at 155 for my birthday but it's not looking good. 2.2 pounds in ten days. Lol... I'm close though, so I'm happy with that. Maybe I'll be at 156 by then

As for snacking at night, I moved all my meals back. I drink a protein coffee all morning, then I start eating at 2:30 and eat until 10:30. That solved the night tme problem for me.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Name: Melissa
    Pets: 2 kitties
    Job: hairdresser
    Hobbies: cooking and work in our, going to concerts
    Kids: unfortunately not.

SW- 254.6
    CW- 157.2
    GW- I'm past my original goal weight and lowering it 5 pounds at a time until I'm happy. Thinking 150 right now.

I would love to be at 155 for my birthday but it's not looking good. 2.2 pounds in ten days. Lol... I'm close though, so I'm happy with that. Maybe I'll be at 156 by then

As for snacking at night, I moved all my meals back. I drink a protein coffee all morning, then I start eating at 2:30 and eat until 10:30. That solved the night tme problem for me.

What's the best concert you've been to Melissa?
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    @mom23mangos that's a tough one! I've seen so many awesome bands/performers! It's my favorite thing to do.

Def Leppard, journey, foreigner, Elton John, Billy Joel, Janet Jackson, madonna, tesla, Styx, Sade, Barbara Streisand, Bette midler, Luther vandross, the eagles, ozzy, bon jovi, the scorpions, Diana Ross, heart, Alicia keys, Mariah Carey, bad company, deep purple, Celine dion, Neil diamond, rush, and many many more. How can I pick? I love them all! Lol

What about you?

Def Leppard is my favorite band, I see them every time they come, and I shook all their hands when I sat in the second row, and cried a little...lmao... to be fair I had been drinking.
  • suzysunshine6901
    suzysunshine6901 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    First Name: Michelle
    Pets: George, my very spoiled cat
    Kids: 2 - ages 22 & 19
    Job: Office Manager
    Hobbies: Reading, movies, baking, & spoiling my cat

I’m at my goal weight. I actually like working out. It’s my way of coping with the craziness in my life. Now if I can just get a better handle on my stress eating.

• mom23mangos
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Haha! I've seen Def Leppard many, many times as they are one of my husband's favorites too. And then I've heard their music wayyyy too many times as he had a Def Leppard tribute band for a while.

The Mavericks is hands down my favorite live band. They are just unbeatable on stage. They get the whole place dancing and have so much fun doing it. Stevie Wonder was pretty amazing. My husband I both agreed that John Fogerty was surprisingly one of the best performances we've seen. Oh, and I always catch Lyle Lovett any time he plays in town. He's from Houston and his mom is always there in the front row. It's so sweet. Oh, New Politics is great, they have a lot of energy. I'm like you, it's hard to narrow down!

Edit - you know who else was one of my favorite concerts? Disturbed!
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    First Name: Michelle
    Pets: George, my very spoiled cat
    Kids: 2 - ages 22 & 19
    Job: Office Manager
    Hobbies: Reading, movies, baking, & spoiling my cat

I’m at my goal weight. I actually like working out. It’s my way of coping with the craziness in my life. Now if I can just get a better handle on my stress eating.

OK, question for you @suzysunshine6901....what's your favorite book and what are you ready now?
  • suzysunshine6901
    suzysunshine6901 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @mom23mangos My favorite book is The Help. I’m currently reading Dead Air.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    @mom23mangos My favorite book is The Help. I’m currently reading Dead Air.

Oooh, I just looked Dead Air up and it looks gooood! How is it so far?
  • momma97015
    momma97015 Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    turning 44 in June - goal is 20 pounds, I'd love to be down 10 by birthday