Replies

• RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Go on a hike that is alot
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I burn 800 calroies doing zumba and then I add power yoga for another 300 . then again im 6 ft tall and 211 lbs....so i will burn more energy than someone who thinner.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    People who are burning 1,000 calories per day with exercise are usually overestimating their burn. Most likely they're using a database and inputting an intensity level that they're not really at...they just think they are because they're out of shape. It's really, really, really hard to burn more than about 10 calories per minute...and that's working it and not really sustainable with long sessions of steady state cardio.

I have a fit bit....so i am pretty accurate with my caloric burn. Even with your 10 calories a minute , I work out at Full intensity every time, I work out for 120 minutes + a day...so by your calculations I would be over 1000 calories.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Here the thing. people have been hooked up to machines and I have yet to find 1000/hour calorie burns from any of them. This includes elite athletes. Tour de France riders top out at around 800 and marathon pace at about 820. Looking at the claims of 99% of the people in this thread in comparison to this and you realize just how full of either horse **** or pure denial they are.
    Great thinking.....If I can't burn 1000 calories then nobody can.

There is absolutely no proof of how many calories are burned for each person unless they are hooked up to a machine. When I weighed over 200 pounds and ran, well almost jogged for an hour, I would burn just over 1200 calories. It was hard and my breathing was heavy but I did it to burn calories. Now that I'm 157 pounds, I only burn about 700 calories running at 6.2 mph for an hour. My RHR has dropped to 46 over this past year due to all the running. I have to work harder and harder now to get my heart rate up.

I use a Suunto Ambit2, up from a Polar RCX5 w/GPS. I burn about 200 calories less than my Polar gave me but with the Polars, most have a fit test and if you just agree to all changes after, it will alter your max heart rate. Do not change your max heart rate or it will give you very inflated calorie burns.

I went walking today, was walking at 4.5 mph pushing jogging buggy and carrying groceries on my back on the way back home. I was walking fast to keep up with my child on a scooter. My heart rate never went over 110 and I got a calorie burn of 413 for 129 mins. About 20 mins of that was constant moving in the store and about 10mins checkout. For that same walk with my Polar, I would have been given over 600!

We are all different and nobody here can say how many calories one is burning. I get its all an estimation but I don't eat most of my exercise calories back anyway.

And one thing to remember, your body gets efficient at doing the same exercise and will burn less so burning low calories for a runner is common. I bet if you upped your pace, you would burn more.
  • phjorg1
    Options
    Now I'm curious. I've seen 16 as a high before. I've never seen 18 ever. Specially not at below elite speeds.. Can you expand on this and give info of testing procedures and maybe other test results of other people?? Ie: any other high results?
    People who are burning 1,000 calories per day with exercise are usually overestimating their burn. Most likely they're using a database and inputting an intensity level that they're not really at...they just think they are because they're out of shape. It's really, really, really hard to burn more than about 10 calories per minute...and that's working it and not really sustainable with long sessions of steady state cardio.

I'm not really super fit anymore (compared to my 20s), and I have been metabolically tested at 16-18 cals/min--at running speeds that I could easily sustain for an hour. I am reasonably fit aerobically for my age, but hardly anything special.
  • Spresto2
    Spresto2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo most of these replies I betcha...I would guess that aaaalot of the people who put themselves down for 1000 cal. burns truly believe this is their burn because either the MFP says so, their HR monitor says so or their cardio machine display said so. I can only speak from my personal experience, some common sense and from reading random fitness blogging and forums from all varieties of sources---but when I used to log in 1000+ burns (even if I did work out for 1.5 hours at mod.-intense levels) and THEN...ate back most or all of those calories...I never lost weight. And to work out that hard and that long and to not lose weight is absolutely horrible and frustrating. I have had several HR monitors and they all seemed a bit high to me. I got a bodymedia and it calculates about 200 cal. less per hour of exercise than my HR monitor did. Whether the bodymedia is right...I don't know, but like I said, I wasn't losing any weight using my Polar to input cal. burn into MFP. I am now finally slowly losing weight with bodymedia undercutting my burn rates because I am eating less as I don't have as many "exercise cal" to eat back. I think the eat back the calories thing can be a real hindrance due to this overestimation of cal. burned problem. I agree with eating back SOME cal...especially if you can tell you are running out of steam during workouts or feel mentally foggy and lethargic during work, but I don't think it's a good habit if you are seriously trying to cut weight. Others will disagree. According to my bodymedia...I burn roughly 500ish-600 calories/hour during a kickbox aerobics/plyometric workout...this means heartrate up to 70-80% most of the time with spurts of 80-90% max. HR and dripping sweat with hardly anything left to give at the end. Definitely not 1000/hr. I could burn 1000 if I kill myself twice in a day...which I have and do sometimes. I think it's possible to get 1000 if you've slaved on cardio and various other exercise for 1.5-2 hours. But a typical 30-45 workout or run...no. 300 -400 is more likely. :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Now I'm curious. I've seen 16 as a high before. I've never seen 18 ever. Specially not at below elite speeds.. Can you expand on this and give info of testing procedures and maybe other test results of other people?? Ie: any other high results?

I'm not really super fit anymore (compared to my 20s), and I have been metabolically tested at 16-18 cals/min--at running speeds that I could easily sustain for an hour. I am reasonably fit aerobically for my age, but hardly anything special.

It was a submax test using a metabolic cart. I was at about 75% of VO2max, at a speed that I had recently averaged for a 90 minute run. The calorie burn was similar to measurements I achieved in graduate school 30 years ago--while I was much faster then, my weight was also 20+ kg lower ;-(
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    1,600 to 1,800 calories on days when I do:

BodyCombat
    BodyPump
    BodyAttack

By BodyAttack the effort is sloppy but I can still pull mid 500s vs high 600s. The peak tracks in BodyCombat and BodyAttack are way too much fun and I wind up pushing myself to do the "high options" (tuck jumps, jacks, high knee runs, "bouncy" knee repeaters) regardless of how tired I am. I weigh 170lbs and I'm female

The choice of activity does matter. One day:

Spin: ~350 calories (45 minutes)
    Yoga: 100 (50 minutes)
    Row: 300 (45 minutes)

I've done ~740 in a particularly enthusiastic 60 minute BodyCombat session :|. I still love my yoga and BodyFlow so I can stretch things out, especially since they get beat up all week.

What happened to exercising being about fitness and cardiovascular health? Fatness, I think :-)
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Here the thing. people have been hooked up to machines and I have yet to find 1000/hour calorie burns from any of them. This includes elite athletes. Tour de France riders top out at around 800 and marathon pace at about 820. Looking at the claims of 99% of the people in this thread in comparison to this and you realize just how full of either horse **** or pure denial they are.

There is absolutely no proof of how many calories are burned for each person unless they are hooked up to a machine. When I weighed over 200 pounds and ran, well almost jogged for an hour, I would burn just over 1200 calories. It was hard and my breathing was heavy but I did it to burn calories. Now that I'm 157 pounds, I only burn about 700 calories running at 6.2 mph for an hour. My RHR has dropped to 46 over this past year due to all the running. I have to work harder and harder now to get my heart rate up.

I use a Suunto Ambit2, up from a Polar RCX5 w/GPS. I burn about 200 calories less than my Polar gave me but with the Polars, most have a fit test and if you just agree to all changes after, it will alter your max heart rate. Do not change your max heart rate or it will give you very inflated calorie burns.

I went walking today, was walking at 4.5 mph pushing jogging buggy and carrying groceries on my back on the way back home. I was walking fast to keep up with my child on a scooter. My heart rate never went over 110 and I got a calorie burn of 413 for 129 mins. About 20 mins of that was constant moving in the store and about 10mins checkout. For that same walk with my Polar, I would have been given over 600!

We are all different and nobody here can say how many calories one is burning. I get its all an estimation but I don't eat most of my exercise calories back anyway.

And one thing to remember, your body gets efficient at doing the same exercise and will burn less so burning low calories for a runner is common. I bet if you upped your pace, you would burn more.
    I eat horse **** as my afternoon snack...that's how I've lost 100 pounds in less than a year. I'm not saying 1000 in an hour but certainly in a day.

Blessings to you
  • mrloserpunk
    mrloserpunk Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I eat horse **** as my afternoon snack...that's how I've lost 100 pounds in less than a year. I'm not saying 1000 in an hour but certainly in a day.

Blessings to you

Oh!! I've got an amazing pumpkin and spice horse**** smoothie recipe if your interested ;-)

My HRM seems to put me around 300 calories 1/2 hour doing a jog with the stroller. I kinda interval between like mailboxes and stuff, but nothing crazy. i do this everyday for an hour. I'm fat 235, 5'9, a dude, and dedicated to losing weight. I try to hit the gym 2/week for 1 1/2 hour sessions. I split between 4 activities and on these days i try to keep my heart rate average above 135.

Polar ft7 says I burn more than 1k on these days. I'm comfortable with that. Losing weight, losing inches... Wifey says ma butt looks nicer. So, if its all in my head and I'm not really burning 1k... I can live with that. I have been eating back my calories... Not all but most. I'm thinking ill prolly start dumping 25% of them soon. Just to be safe. But... For now... It's working fine.

Maybe that's the thing. Sure people could be over compensating and eating back too many calories causing stalls.... But, it sounds like at least in this thread that is not the most common situation. Instead, it sounds like people saying they hit 1k are really working out past the hour mark, and all seem to be seeing results. IDK.... I could be wrong there. As always in life ymmv.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I burned well over 1000 cal in single workouts three times this week. A 14 mile run on Sun. A 12 mile run on Wed. And a 15 mile run today where I burned over 1600 cal.

If my calorie counts were as inflated as some here think then I would probably weigh 300 lbs instead df 180 given how much I eat.
  • phjorg1
    Options
    I burned well over 1000 cal in single workouts three times this week. A 14 mile run on Sun. A 12 mile run on Wed. And a 15 mile run today where I burned over 1600 cal.

If my calorie counts were as inflated as some here think then I would probably weigh 300 lbs instead df 180 given how much I eat.
    1000 total is not the same as 1000/hour.

given that distance that burn is indeed plausible.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I basically burn an average of this amount from exercise every day. I rest one day a week, burn less on some days and more on others. Running burns a lot of calories. I also lift weights and do some swimming and cycling for cross training.

Work your way up gradually. Last year I was lucky to burn an average of 300 calories a day from exercise. Now I average about three times that amount.

As others have pointed out, caloric burn is related to your size. As you lose weight you will have to exercise more to burn the same amount of calories. Good luck!
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I basically burn an average of this amount from exercise every day. I rest one day a week, burn less on some days and more on others. Running burns a lot of calories. I also lift weights and do some swimming and cycling for cross training.

Work your way up gradually. Last year I was lucky to burn an average of 300 calories a day from exercise. Now I average about three times that amount.

As others have pointed out, caloric burn is related to your size. As you lose weight you will have to exercise more to burn the same amount of calories. Good luck!

I totally agree with this, and do similar numbers. It took years of training, patience and focus to build up to the 10,400 burned in one day (at Ironman NZ).
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    my best is 2300 in one session, but that was nearly a marathon
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

1000 total is not the same as 1000/hour.

given that distance that burn is indeed plausible.

Crunch the numbers bro

8 miles @ 7:30 pace = 1,000+ an hour (for 180 lb runner) - I try to do that workout (long tempo run) once a week

there's nothing magical about it, but it's a tough workout

125 - 130 calories a mile is not odd for 180 lb guy

a 150 lb runner would burn ~ 900 for that workout
    a 200 lb runner would be ~ 1,200
    a 120 runner would burn ~ 700

It's simple math, unless you choose not to be bound by the laws of physics

Once you are outside the realm of steady state cardio, I'll be first to tell you that HRM, MFP and gym machine estimates can often be totally inflated.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    200-700 to sometimes 900 but only once or twice 1,000. but im talking pure exercise though, not things like I normally do like cleaning the rats out XD

I guess it might be.. what 400/500 calories x 7 days a week as a year slandered?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I try to do that workout (long tempo run) once a week
    Overachiever :wink:
    a 120 runner would burn ~ 700
    Yep, that's me. Takes about 100 minutes for me to burn 1000 calories and I do that 2 to 3 times a week.