Gym controversy- would you hire an unfit trainer?

Options
1235»

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Agree very much with the above. While I may take fitness tips from my riding coaches, I'm not going to them to set up a gym training program and vice versa. Two VERY different backgrounds needed for each, and unless your training specifically for bodybuilding, trainer and coach are probably two different people (shoot maybe even for that they are, I wouldn't know LOL).
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Maybe, maybe not. I'm not sure. An unfit physique wouldn't immediately rule someone out, but yes, it might work against them.

I would say, though, that I think this is a difficult legal question, regarding discrimination. I honestly don't know how to feel about that. As individuals, we have no obligation whatsoever to be "fair" in our choice of a trainer. But I can't quite put my finger on why I lean toward the gym's side in this, as an employment discrimination question. I keep thinking of Hooters - they certainly don't have an obligation to hire overweight waitresses who are otherwise qualified, do they? This isn't my area of expertise, but I think, in general, if a certain "look" is an actual element of the job, you can discriminate in order to hire people who meet that standard. Is physical fitness an actual element of the job of a trainer at a gym? I could see arguments go both ways on that.

Anti discrimination laws only apply to certain classes/groups of ppl under the law: age, gender, religion are examples...employers who pass on hiring ppl because they are overweight or unattractive etc. does not violate the law
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    If I had money, I would hire a really sexy trainer just for eye candy and the occasional touch when he had to correct my form. :Do:)

This is why I use pvc pipe call it my “Handsy Handle” for the clients that one the extra love all the time. And text you on the weekends haha.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think a gym has an image to sell customers so will hire people who look like that promised image and can do the actual job.

No, I would not hire an unfit or underqualified trainer. If she can not perform advanced exercises I don't see how she could be a trainer. Overweight does not necessarily mean very unfit or unqualified I suppose. I don't know how overweight the person is. 10 pounds or 100 lbs?
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I think the business owner had a right not to hire her. I mean you can't come right out and say it's because of your size and the owner gave valid reasons and what to work on. She would be representing his company and her image may not be the best way to bring in personal training money regardless of how great a job she may have done.

I have attended some zumba group classes in the last few months. There are 3 different zumba instructors at my gym. The one teacher is not the slimmest person I have seen but she blows the 2 others out of the water. I admit when I first saw her I was a little surprised but she is great. And who knows, perhaps she started the job 50 lbs heavier than she is now.

Would I hire an unfit personal trainer to train me? I would need to have some background on him or her before deciding. If I got some great references and we clicked, perhaps.
  • BitofaState
    BitofaState Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ohwhynot wrote: »
    If an overweight trainer can help me fix my squat form, then I'd hire them right away! (Seriously, my form sucks.)

As someone else who's form "sucks" it's worth getting into an understanding of your specific dimensions and how that effects your fold-ability and ability to squat. The truth is that there is no one right way as we are all built differently, but there are adjustments we can make with stance.

If you want to get into it there's a great series of you tube videos that are aimed at trainers and their understanding of segmental proportions and joint mobility. This one in particular goes through adjustments that help create a better squat position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGEKRjlZKf8