Options

Replies

• empresssue
    empresssue Posts: 2,978 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »

who is the blonde lady sitting next to Pee-Wee Herman's Little Sister?

TIL:

They are Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir.

Tara Lipinski is the 1998 Olympic champion, the 1997 World champion, a two-time Champions Series Final champion (1997–1998), and the 1997 U.S. national champion.

Johnny Weir is a two-time Olympian, the 2008 World bronze medalist, a two-time Grand Prix Final bronze medalist, the 2001 World Junior Champion, and a three-time U.S. national champion (2004–2006).

Today you'll also learn that Tara was on Dancing with the Stars as well. :smiley:
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    True. I think most European countries have their own leagues as well, that feed into their depth pool. The number of kids in the other countries that skate compared to the US is much higher too. Not to say we aren't good, we just tend to do a lot of sports as a nation. The Netherlands doesn't do that many sports in the winter games and they're collected a ton of medals in the ones they focus on. Mainly speed skating, where their top male was compared to Lebron James & Steph Curry in terms of popularity, notoriety and endorsement potential.

I said it in another thread but you've just reminded me of this:

"NBC's Katie Couric was slammed across social media for saying Dutch successes in Olympic speed skating were because skating is an “important mode of transport” in their country.

“It’s probably not a news flash to tell you the Dutch are really, really good at speed skating… ‘Why are they so good?’ you may be asking yourself,” Couric mused during Friday’s opening ceremony. “Because skating is an important mode of transportation in a city like Amsterdam.”

She said Amsterdam “has lots of canals that can freeze in winter. So, for as long as the canals have existed, the Dutch have skated on them to get from place to place, to race each other and also to have fun.”"

I guess checking one's sources as a news anchor doesn't mean anything anymore..... to be fair, it hasn't in awhile.
  • cee134
    Options
    empresssue wrote: »

TIL:

Tara Lipinski is the 1998 Olympic champion, the 1997 World champion, a two-time Champions Series Final champion (1997–1998), and the 1997 U.S. national champion.

Johnny Weir is a two-time Olympian, the 2008 World bronze medalist, a two-time Grand Prix Final bronze medalist, the 2001 World Junior Champion, and a three-time U.S. national champion (2004–2006).

Today you'll also learn that Tara was on Dancing with the Stars as well. :smiley:

I would of lived the rest of my life happy not knowing this. :D
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Katie, it sounded like it doesn't get cold enough there for that to occur.
    During the 10,000 meters they said for the first time in a long time the area Jorrit Bergma grew up in is going to do a canal race because the ice is safe enough to skate on. That is in the northern part of Holland, so if they can't skate up there, wouldn't it seem the same would be true for most of Holland?
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options

TIL:

You might be thinking Meryl Davis, she was on dancing with the stars and won I think which considering she was an ice dancer she had a bit of an advantage
  • empresssue
    Options

TIL:

I would of lived the rest of my life happy not knowing this. :D

Dancing with the Stars is the only “reality” show I watch & is a complete guilty pleasure for me.
  • empresssue
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »

TIL:

You might be thinking Meryl Davis, she was on dancing with the stars and won I think which considering she was an ice dancer she had a bit of an advantage

Meryl was awesome on it, but Tara was on s previous season.
  • AliNouveau
    edited February 2018
    Options

TIL:

Meryl was awesome on it, but Tara was on s previous season.

I don't think she was ever a contestant. There was Kristi yamaguchi and Nancy Kerrigan. I don't think there's been other skaters I'm sadly a dwts junkie and skating junkie
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options

TIL:

Yes. And she was soooo awesome. I think Charlie White was also on the show. ;)
  • LittleLionHeart1
    Options
    Nancy Kerrigan, and Kristy Yamaguchi was on DWTS. They should ask Tonya Harding to be on the show. :D
  • AliNouveau
    Options

TIL:

Yes. And she was soooo awesome. I think Charlie White was also on the show. ;)

I'm amazed he didn't do better. He is still hands down one of the best twizzlers of all time
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i've been waiting all day for the womens hockey game canada and usa. i'm not a fan of the referee tonight they suck
  • cee134
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Canada Played The USA For Women’s Hockey Gold

The winner was...
    The US women's hockey team who finally gets a gold in a dramatic final against their rival Canada!
    This is the first time the USA has beat Canada for Gold in 20 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRmZUNO4Y5s
    vcc07ucmb3iz.jpg
    5f2isii6sso0.gif

• ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Good game but oh my Lanta, I hate shootouts to determine the winner
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    USA just whomped Canada in Curling. Sorry Canada
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    Good game but oh my Lanta, I hate shootouts to determine the winner

Yeah, but that goal by the US skater was a thing of beauty.

• LittleLionHeart1
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »

Whooh! Yes! Finally. :)
  • AliNouveau
    Options

The Canadian curlers sucked royally this Olympics except the mixed doubles. Why I figure #Beijing2022 is in my future! Can't do any worse is my team's motto
  • LittleLionHeart1
    Options

The Canadian curlers sucked royally this Olympics except the mixed doubles. Why I figure #Beijing2022 is in my future! Can't do any worse is my team's motto

That's 4 years from now. And I'm rooting for you! :D<3