Unable to lose weight with calorie deficit

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    thanks all for the comments
    I am using measuring cups mostly. and fruits i enter from the database based on size medium etc
    rice i measure in measuring cups and enter that. other packaged foods directly from the nutrition details on the labels, i enter that.

To add perspective, I used to do that when I first started, than I found out I was under counting my calories, what I thought were 80 calorie bananas, where actually 150.. something I thought was 200 calories of peanut butter, was actually over 300... So multiple that by all my foods, and it quickly added up.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is probably the worst. You've got to be super diligent with measuring for 2T to be 32g. It's usually more like 40-60g which is no longer 1 serving.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    Peanut butter is probably the worst. You've got to be super diligent with measuring for 2T to be 32g. It's usually more like 40-60g which is no longer 1 serving.

Nuts too.. what I thought was 30g of nuts, turned out to be 45 to 60g...
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »

This made me sad the first time I weighed out pb I love pb and used to smother my toast in it (I have been known to eat it straight from the jar) I've got used to 32g split between one toastie thin which are only 100cals
  • sknt_journey
    sknt_journey Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You lost 7 lbs, how is that 'unable to lose weight'?

Also 146 lbs isn't overweight for 5'4".

And you might be eating more than you think.

I mean after the initial 7lbs now im not seeing any result since past few weeks and its getting harder to eat the 1300 calorie limit

OP, sorry your thread has been hijacked! You are barely overweight, so progress is going to be slow. You can set your goal to 1 lb per week if you want, but it's not realistic to think you will see that 1 lb come off on the scale every week. You have very little margin for error and losses of less than 1 lb can easily hide behind water weight fluctuations.

Get a food scale, and commit to using it for as much as you possibly can (whole foods, packaged foods, fruit, peanut butter, snacks, nibbles, condiments) for at least 4-6 weeks. You will probably probably find calories that you were missing.

And understand that you will have weeks where you don't lose anything or maybe even temporarily gain a little weight. Water weight can fluctuate several lbs from one week to the next. Just have faith in the process and patience.

I started at 5'4" 145 lbs and I simply didn't want to eat under 1500 cals so I ended up losing around 1 lb per month. I'm not saying it will go that slow for you, but you might have a month here or there where that happens and it's perfectly normal. Hang in there and good luck!

thank you so much for the motivation.
    Didnt expect my first post to cause so much activity haha.
    Just to clarify i am 165lbs now. (down from 171lbs).
    146 lbs was my pre-pregnancy weight which is my goal. Seems like a long way ahead.
    Also calorie restriction is new to me , so im struggling with it.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I mean after the initial 7lbs now im not seeing any result since past few weeks and its getting harder to eat the 1300 calorie limit

OP, sorry your thread has been hijacked! You are barely overweight, so progress is going to be slow. You can set your goal to 1 lb per week if you want, but it's not realistic to think you will see that 1 lb come off on the scale every week. You have very little margin for error and losses of less than 1 lb can easily hide behind water weight fluctuations.

Get a food scale, and commit to using it for as much as you possibly can (whole foods, packaged foods, fruit, peanut butter, snacks, nibbles, condiments) for at least 4-6 weeks. You will probably probably find calories that you were missing.

And understand that you will have weeks where you don't lose anything or maybe even temporarily gain a little weight. Water weight can fluctuate several lbs from one week to the next. Just have faith in the process and patience.

I started at 5'4" 145 lbs and I simply didn't want to eat under 1500 cals so I ended up losing around 1 lb per month. I'm not saying it will go that slow for you, but you might have a month here or there where that happens and it's perfectly normal. Hang in there and good luck!

^ all of this.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

thank you so much for the motivation.
    Didnt expect my first post to cause so much activity haha.
    Just to clarify i am 165lbs now. (down from 171lbs).
    146 lbs was my pre-pregnancy weight which is my goal. Seems like a long way ahead.
    Also calorie restriction is new to me , so im struggling with it.

Oh, okay. So you're trying to lose 20 lbs, still 1 lb per week but more likely to see it a little more consistently on the scale. I know it might seem silly, but the food scale is such a big deal. I found I was eating 200-400 cals more daily than I thought I was when I wasn't using it. Just remember weight loss isn't linear, but you'll get there :smiley:
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    OP I hate to ask this TMI but are you constipated at all? Because not going means that you’re causing some inside body damage which can lead to bad things. One thing you can do is make sure you have pre- & pro-biotics like kefir, yogurt, filmjolk, & the pre & pro-biotic drinks out there to help you go. For me, the reason my scale gets stuck is because I’m not going. Hope this helps.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    janesmith1 wrote: »
    OP I hate to ask this TMI but are you constipated at all? Because not going means that you’re causing some inside body damage which can lead to bad things. One thing you can do is make sure you have pre- & pro-biotics like kefir, yogurt, filmjolk, & the pre & pro-biotic drinks out there to help you go. For me, the reason my scale gets stuck is because I’m not going. Hope this helps.

We’ve already determined the OP is eating more than she thinks
  • Hooliekom
    Hooliekom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    slossia wrote: »
    The people that have weight problems have been taking advice from the wrong people their whole lives!! Their diets have been flawed listening to people that have read an article or went to a weight management or weight loss clinic!! And their suffering always trying to loose weight by starving themselves!! An animal in the wild doesn’t do that and doesn’t count calories and doesn’t get fat!! They eat the diet they were meant to eat!! The meat and dairy industry has convinced you that you need to consume animals! You don’t!! But go ahead and worry about your weight ! You’ll always be fighting to keep from getting fat and sick!! Vegans that
    eat a whole food low fat diet ! Not a vegan who mock meats and processed oils ! Will not get fat!! I’ve never seen one!!

You've never seen a fat vegan... do you somehow know the chosen diet of all of the overweight people that you see?

And as said previously - what's with all the exclamation marks?
  • samantharmaggard
    samantharmaggard Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If your only eating 1300 and working out 3 - 4 times a week then....there is something wrong. Wow, 1300 seems so low to me... I’m 155 and weight train 4 - 5 times a week and eat about 1900 a day and slowly have been losing 1 lbs a week. I don’t know how you can eat so little and not feel hungry all the time....