Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Which is more important: eating when hungry or stopping when full?

Options
aniracace
aniracace Posts: 39 Member
I've been contemplating using intuitive eating for a bit now; or at least lose weight without counting calories. Why am I here? Good question. Anyways moving on. Which is more important: only eating when hungry or stopping when you're full? I would think only eating when hungry because if you overeat it'll take longer for you to become hungry, ya feel?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends. If you eat when you are hungry but you are always hungry then it's not so great. If it takes a lot of food for you to be full then that may not be so great. You could also undereat with either option too. I am an intuitive eater and I would say being calorie aware and knowing how your hunger works is the best key for success.
  • blueheartrisen
    blueheartrisen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    "Hungry" is a vague thing that can be influenced by a lot of things that aren't actually hunger. I can waaaaaay overeat and then feel "hungry" a couple of hours later. I also tend to feel a lot of other things (spacy, irritable, headache, etc.) before I feel true hunger.

So, I'm going to vote for stopping when full.

Having planned meal/snack times (which would not be necessarily be waiting for "hunger") and eating to slightly less than full at those times can work for me if I am in the right frame of mind.
  • aniracace
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Why does it have to be one or the other??

Oh it doesn't! I just thought it was a fun thing to think about.
  • aniracace
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    And I don't think it's that black and white.

Personally, I find it easier to avoid overeating if I eat before I get (very) hungry. A well-timed, well-chosen snack can be kind of magical, even if impromptu.

On the flip side, I've read sources that suggest stopping eating when only partly full, because fullness takes time to register.

Don't get me wrong, I know that many people are successful at intuitive eating . . . but I suspect that they're more, y'know, intuitive about it, not so much analytically think-y. ;)

Yeah ... I love the idea of intuitive eating, but it's just a little TOO intuitive, you understand? The entire point is to move away from rigid eating structures, so trying to fit it into a neat little box isn't working so well.
  • aniracace
    Options
    "Hungry" is a vague thing that can be influenced by a lot of things that aren't actually hunger. I can waaaaaay overeat and then feel "hungry" a couple of hours later. I also tend to feel a lot of other things (spacy, irritable, headache, etc.) before I feel true hunger.

So, I'm going to vote for stopping when full.

Having planned meal/snack times (which would not be necessarily be waiting for "hunger") and eating to slightly less than full at those times can work for me if I am in the right frame of mind.

That's a good point. I guess it all depends on the person. Like for myself, I can feel full off pretty much anything, so going off of hunger would make more sense for my tastes. But going off of hunger would require one to be able to recognize true hunger and not just a swing of the moment craving for a specific food (like those free doughnuts)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have gastroparesis so if i only ate when i was hungry and stopped when i was full I'd only be getting maybe 200 calories a day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think the question might be wrong, or irrelevant. If you need to lose weight, and this question is on your mind, you'll need another strategy for your eating. Logging and weighing food can teach you how much food is appropriate for you. If you have the discipline to eat regularly and stick to appropriate portions, you'll be able to manage your weight without counting calories. Regular weigh-ins is a good insurance.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I've been contemplating using intuitive eating for a bit now; or at least lose weight without counting calories. Why am I here? Good question. Anyways moving on. Which is more important: only eating when hungry or stopping when you're full? I would think only eating when hungry because if you overeat it'll take longer for you to become hungry, ya feel?

Walk me through how intuitive spending would work. Then apply this to eating.

There is nothing intuitive about eating. If you want to manage anything you need to build a system of control around it or you will fail.

I always think about my checkbook in these situations too. It just seems to help them make sense to me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,036 Member
    Options

There is nothing intuitive about eating. If you want to manage anything you need to build a system of control around it or you will fail.

I always think about my checkbook in these situations too. It just seems to help them make sense to me.

Y'know, we're all different. I'm not in love with that analogy.

Even though I'm far (far! far!) from wealthy, I kind of do intuitive spending, and I think it works about the same way intuitive eating works in some who succeed at that. I had a budget and semi-tracked it for a few short months after first buying a house a zillion years back, to get readjusted; and sketched one out when contemplating retirement, as a reality check (but never tracked it). Other than that, I just perk along, with a decent intuition about how much I can spend. Not bankrupt yet! ;)

Can't do it with food, though.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I lost weight with intuitive eating because it became clear very quickly that measuring and logging food was not for me. For me, of the two I'd say only eating when hungry was more important.

But more specifically, not eating for the first time each day until I was really and properly hungry. Because for me, once I start eating I want to keep eating.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Y'know, we're all different. I'm not in love with that analogy.

Even though I'm far (far! far!) from wealthy, I kind of do intuitive spending, and I think it works about the same way intuitive eating works in some who succeed at that. I had a budget and semi-tracked it for a few short months after first buying a house a zillion years back, to get readjusted; and sketched one out when contemplating retirement, as a reality check (but never tracked it). Other than that, I just perk along, with a decent intuition about how much I can spend. Not bankrupt yet! ;)

Can't do it with food, though.

I'm the same. I've had a checking about for almost 40 years and I have never balanced my checkbook. Not once.

And who uses checks nowadays anyway? :p
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Some people can intuitively control their eating.