How often do you weight yourself?

Options

Replies

• WestCoastCyclist
    WestCoastCyclist Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Daily, but I record only on Tuesday. Informally in my head I keep track of the highs and lows. I can easily have a two to five pound change from day to day, but the lows and highs are fairly consistent. Weighing weekly wouldn't work for me, as with only one data point, I wouldn't know if I was looking at a high or a low.
  • BitofaState
    BitofaState Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Most mornings, but I have an "official" recording day on Sunday mornings.

The day to day fluctuations help me accept the trend better and within a week I can get a +/-2kg range. As long as the overall trend is downwards I'm OK.

Best not to look at week to week comparisons though, but where you were 4/5 weeks ago.

I spend more time logging intake and output, recording them on a spreadsheet and running a calculation to estimate where I should be. That helps identify if I'm getting logging errors, and also allows me to look at days where I've done better, or worse and ask why.

I prefer to focus on the things I can can control, rather than the outcome.
  • ClaireDenise30
    ClaireDenise30 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but only record once a week. I find it keeps me focused and on track.
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    1x/week maximum, mostly 1x/3months , it really changes
  • Kirstenmonicaflood
    Options
    Monthly(ish). I prefer to go off measurements and how my clothes are fitting. If I do it weekly for instance, and I've not lost weight, it disheartens me, even though i know I've built and constantly building muscle I still think "I'm doing all this for nothing!". So I leave a good few weeks before I weigh myself now.
  • hannaftw
    hannaftw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately have the bad habit of weighing myself several times a day. I've gotten over it now but before I was so scared that the scales would be wrong that I used three scales and stepped on each of them three times, added it all up and divided by nine to get what I considered a reliable number... I really wish I could stop weighing myself so much, once a week or maybe every other week would be nice. It's not pleasant having your life ruled by the number on the scale each day :/.
  • rickdkitson
    rickdkitson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use a body composition scale that gives me weight % fat and %muscle. I use it daily first thing in the AM after voiding my bladder and before eating or drinking anything. I turn the % values into fat mass and muscle mass.

I calculate 7 day and 30 day moving averages and this is what I consider not the daily readings.

A 7 or 30 day moving average is simply the last 7 or 30 days readings averaged out.

I have been doing this for a long time and the graphs clearly show that almost all my weight fluctuation is due to changes in fat mass with only a little additional muscle gain. There is virtually no change in the mass of the balance ( i.e. bones, skin, guts and gastric contents) over the time I have been using the system. On a daily basis the majority of the fluctuation is in the balance up and down but that disappears when I look at the moving averages.
  • MoreFitLessFat
    MoreFitLessFat Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I weigh daily and track it in a trend app. It allows me to see past the fluctuations to make sure the overall trend is down.

That's quite clever... A trend app would be just so you can see it in a chart and analyse the process?
  • MoreFitLessFat
    Options
    Every day or second day. If i miss going to the toilet first thing in the morning i don't bother weighing in that day.

I hardly ever go to the toilet
  • theknitpicker
    theknitpicker Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I take a daily measure in the morning using Happy Scale to get moving averages for an overall picture, but I do one "official" weigh in a week, in the evenings, that I record in MFP.

That way, I get a good moving picture with the Happy Scale measures, and having my official weigh in at a heavier time of day, I get a dose of realism too, so I can see how close I really am to my goals.
  • MoreFitLessFat
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    Whenever I feel like it, but I only "officially" weigh myself for the record once a week.

I kinda do that too! So sad when you weight in less in a "non official day" than on the other one haha
  • MoreFitLessFat
    Options
    I take a daily measure in the morning using Happy Scale to get moving averages for an overall picture, but I do one "official" weigh in a week, in the evenings, that I record in MFP.

That way, I get a good moving picture with the Happy Scale measures, and having my official weigh in at a heavier time of day, I get a dose of realism too, so I can see how close I really am to my goals.

I found interesting that you do your weighting in the evening! But you do have a point there though :)
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Usually it's every so often. I do it once a week but sometimes I just forget or don't really want to and sometimes go about 3-4 weeks without weighing myself. I do it when I feel like something has changed
  • MadisonJay64
    MadisonJay64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I used to do weekly but found it discouraged me seeing small changes so now I do every 2 weeks and take measurements and progress photos too, sometimes the scale doesn't change by much but I see the difference! Scale doesn't take water and muscle into consideration :)
  • Finkelstien
    Finkelstien Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    daily. It motivates me more to keep eating healthily and i am no longer scared of fluctuations.
    And i love the graph that my daily logging makes. I think it is awesome to see the line going down
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Daily weigher here despite being in maintenance. When I was losing had I weighed only once a week I might have thought I wasn't losing because weight fluctuates a lot. During TOM I can bounce up 3lbs for several days for one thing. I use a trending weight app and that shows me my weight trend is where it should be.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Once a week when I was losing weight. About once a month during maintenance.

I'm more focused on my body composition so I continue to take my measurements regularly.
  • mlauster
    mlauster Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but only track on Saturday Morning. I’m totally over stressing the fluctuations so weighing everyday isn’t a big deal for me.

I did change my weigh in day to Saturday morning because we tend to eat out more durning the weekend, even though I’m within my calorie goal, the higher sodium content made me retain water so Monday & Tuesdays weight is always higher. I’m at my lowest weight on Saturdays.
  • jimdevarie
    jimdevarie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. One thing to note is to take into account that the number of the scale is a combination of your weight including what is in your gut, so if you are say regular, it should be fine but if not, take that into account so you dont feel discouraged.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Every day! Weight fluctuates a lot. Something you could do is weigh every day and then compare weekly averages. I would be afraid of weighing once a week and the day I weigh just happening to be one of my “high” days. I use the app happy scale and that’s more-so just for fun.