Can’t manage to hit intake goals, I’m not hungry

Options

Replies

• JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Apparently people can’t read when I say I have a food scale lol

I’m sure I can do more to try and figure out how to change 1/4 cup of broccoli to whatever that equates to on a scale and somehow figure out the calories macros that way based on a label that measures in cups, not grams/ounces, but I do weigh my turkey or chicken. Apparently I am wrong to think that a package that has 5 servings when split into 5 servings isn’t actually what is on the nutrition label.

Oh well I guess I’ll just wing it?

Yes, you are. Nutrition labels and servings/package aren't exact. A protein powder I have says that 1 scoop=30g, when actually 1 scoop=20g. Another supplement powder I have is the opposite, with each scoop being more than the supposed weight according to the package.

If you're buying and cooking just for yourself and know what you'll be eating, you can weigh out everything when you buy it (plop the whole package of bacon on the scale, the entire bunch of spinach, etc.) and distribute that amount over however many days it takes you to eat it. So if you bought 200 grams of spinach, and it will take you 5 days to eat it, you could pre-log 40g/day for five days. If you have 50g one day and 30g another, it won't matter, and you will have saved yourself some time.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    What works for everyone is eating fewer calories than their body uses. How many calories that is is very individual.

How many calories are you eating per day? Do you know what your maintenance calories are?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Apparently people can’t read when I say I have a food scale lol

I’m sure I can do more to try and figure out how to change 1/4 cup of broccoli to whatever that equates to on a scale and somehow figure out the calories macros that way based on a label that measures in cups, not grams/ounces, but I do weigh my turkey or chicken. Apparently I am wrong to think that a package that has 5 servings when split into 5 servings isn’t actually what is on the nutrition label.

Oh well I guess I’ll just wing it?

Most bags will say "serving size 1/3 cup (1 oz/28 grams) All you do is divide the number of calories per serving by the number of grams per serving and that gives you the calories per gram of the item. Then you weigh out how much broccoli you want to eat and multiply that by the calories per gram. Example: apples are 0.5 calories per gram, a 156 gram apple is 78 calories.

I have a sheet of paper with the weights per gram of all fruits, vegetables, and meats that I eat (I don't log on MPF; I use a paper diary).
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Well now that I’ve been told using measuring cups is wrong I really don’t know how many calories I’ve been consuming, I’ll have to get back to everyone. According to multiple calculators, Daily calorie target is 1600kcal

Sounds good, and BTW, you look great in your profile pic! Patience & consistency :)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Well now that I’ve been told using measuring cups is wrong I really don’t know how many calories I’ve been consuming, I’ll have to get back to everyone. According to multiple calculators, Daily calorie target is 1600kcal

To some extent, it doesn't matter what the number is. It's an estimate regardless, but obviously a more accurate estimate is easier to work with than a less accurate one. But ultimately, if you're not losing weight, you're not in a calorie deficit. So you could, in theory, continue with your current methods of weighing/measuring/estimating and simply eat less based on those estimates.
  • labridge71488
    labridge71488 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Is there a more accurate way to determine body fat when literally 80% of my body fat is below my waist(thighs) without using calipers? Lol
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, you are working out 4 X a week, what do you do with those calories? are they part of your 1600? How accurate is the amount burned number you are working from? No experience with this personally tbh but everyone has covered calories in weighing and logging etc so may be worth checking calories out, x
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Is there a more accurate way to determine body fat when literally 80% of my body fat is below my waist(thighs) without using calipers? Lol

Hydrostatic weighing, Bod Pod, or DEXA scan.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Not really. I've got a scale that shows BF% and while it has gone down, I don't the the number itself is accurate. Even calipers are only as good as the person using them. DEXA scan is the best, but pricey (I can't even find one for non-medical use where I live).

On the scale vs cup. My eye opener when I got a scale was my Granola. Serving size is 2/3 cup or 45 grams for 210 calories. So I was having 1 cup and adding 315 calories. Then got a scale and found 1 cup was over 90 grams or ~425 calories (if I remember correctly). So 100 calories pretty much everyday. On someone with not a lot to lose, that can be half their deficit before they get moving in the morning.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this -- do you put your food into MFP or into Fitbit's calorie logging system?

Bacon won't make you fall off the wagon. I eat 2 slices for 70 calories. I also eat pasta every. single. day.
    Definitely make sure that you're logging your sausages. I know it's been said but the 1/4 broccoli isn't going to have as much of a deviation as 1/4 cup sausage.
  • labridge71488
    labridge71488 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I know very little about cico. However I did the calculations for BMR, TDEE and other random calorie intake calculators and it says my TDEE is 2220, and BMR is 1539. I basically aim to eat 1200-1500 calories a day, but I have no idea how to determine how many calories I’m burning by weight training to factor that in.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Get a DEXA scan. A lot of major cities have places that offer them (at least here in the U.S.) and they usually run between $50-$150. I'm planning to get one this fall.