New JAMA Weight Loss Study

Options
124»

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    GregNoblin wrote: »
    Greg, you're not losing fat in a caloric surplus - if that's what someone is telling you they're not a good source of information. If you haven't yet, joining the low carber daily group is worthwhile - lots of good resources and keto friendly people.

My source of information is me actually doing it. I don't need their help.

Do you track your intake?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    GregNoblin wrote: »
    Ok. You're the expert. I'll just keep doing what I'm succeeding at.

I didn't say you couldn't succeed at it, or even that it is not right for you. If you like it, and are losing, then great, I have nothing against OMAD or keto. What I don't get is this reaction where if someone says (correctly) that OMAD is not magically trumping calories and letting you lose in a surplus (or not believing that you'd gain at 1800 -- likely a huge deficit -- if you ate 3 meals a day) that that person is anti-OMAD or anti-keto or whatever.

I think it's a perfectly fine way to achieve a deficit for those who enjoy it. (Just as the study indicates both low fat and low carb can be.)
    Other than avocados I eat 0 servings of fruit.... Oh, and about 5000mg sodium.

Um, cool? I knew you were keto so I'm hardly shocked. Not sure why you are telling me this. If it's in response to my comment about how I couldn't (that's me personally, I dislike feeling super stuffed) get adequate vegetables or protein on OMAD, I guess I don't get how it's responsive.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Fynnlagh wrote: »

Low carbohydrates doesn't equal keto. You can successfully lose weight on a low carbohydrate plan without ever going into keto assuming one is in a deficit (the same thing that creates weight loss when one is doing keto).

Nothing in the construction of the study leads one to believe that those running it wanted or expected the low carbohydrate group to be on keto.

Sure, as long as you eat less than your body uses everything works somehow, but you don't make a study around that. As said before: There is no reason to cut on carbohydrates if you don't want to go keto.
    If you want a diet with low carbs, you cut the sugar, check your basal metabolic rate and eat enough that you have a low deficit - that isn't necessarily low on carbs depending on how much vegetables and nuts you eat.
    A scientific study shouldn't use a completely undefined term like "low carb diet" without even checking how many carbs every person has.
    If your range from low goes from 20g of carbs per day to 45% of your daily carbohydrates intake, that's all, but not "low" carb.

Reasons to cut carbohydrates without going keto: an individual finds it makes it easier for them to stay in a calorie deficit, an individual has health conditions that are easier to manage when carbohydrates are lower, an individual finds they prefer to eat more fat and/or protein.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    This comic is getting quite a workout this week:

This is a fantastic cartoon - and right on the mark.

Those getting bent out of shape by the article should note this paragraph:
    ...Dr. Gardner said it is not that calories don’t matter. After all, both groups ultimately ended up consuming fewer calories on average by the end of the study, even though they were not conscious of it. The point is that they did this by focusing on nutritious whole foods that satisfied their hunger...