Less Alcohol - March 2018- One day at a Time

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    wigi41 wrote: »
    JulieAL1969- I completely understand the anxiety you are feeling. I am on holiday this week, and although I planned to have two drinks while I was away, after 73 days AF I just really did not know if I wanted to drink or not, and end that streak. I ended up having one of the planned drinks, today- a beer. I think it was helpful for me because I really realized how much I don't miss it at all. I think I needed to have that drink though to really know, because all week, I struggled with this feeling of missing out, even though I have had sooo many benefits from going AF. Whatever you decide to do, as others have said, it's not win or lose! It's all learning and experience that can inform us as we continue making decisions along this journey.

We are in the same boat! I probably will drink a beer tomorrow. One reason is that I dont really love beer like I like vodka or wine. So, I wont go overboard. It is a struggle because I fear that I will feel awful , headache, nausea, and have the change that I'll wipe out my great record. Mind games.
    I love your words that it's all learning and we can use these life experiences to grow. xo

Same here with beer not being my first choice - even before I started trying to cut back on drinking for minimizing alcohol, I found that beer fills me up too much and since I lost weight and now in maintenance a couple beers really makes me feel full and bloated, but wine doesn’t have the same effect. It’s a bit of a cop out but it’s a good way for me to self regulate my drinking to actively choose beer instead of going for wine which I can drink significantly more of without physical discomfort (till the following morning).

I’m thinking of using that strategy this weekend since I have a March madness party tonight which is with friends I don’t see regularly, and then walking to the local st Pats parade tomorrow morning. I’ve been thinking a lot about whether I will drink tomorrow morning following what will likely be a little higher consumption tonight than I’ve been having for the last few months. I think a baileys in my coffee for the walk and then a beer at the parade would be manageable and wouldn’t lead to all day drinking like in the past. We’ll see...

Good luck with your weekend plans Julie I know you’ve been thinking about it quite a bit as well. And good luck to everyone who is “Irish for a Day”!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Can I join late? I haven't had a drop of alcohol since March 3rd, which is saying alot coming from me lol...

Bravo! How do you feel? Sure, join us. All we do on this thread is make comments; let us know how you're doing.
    Also, tell us what has worked for you. xo
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Can I join late? I haven't had a drop of alcohol since March 3rd, which is saying alot coming from me lol...

No such thing as late. We are just a supportive group. Everyone with their own individual goals.
    Welcome aboard!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    JulieAL1969- I completely understand the anxiety you are feeling. I am on holiday this week, and although I planned to have two drinks while I was away, after 73 days AF I just really did not know if I wanted to drink or not, and end that streak. I ended up having one of the planned drinks, today- a beer. I think it was helpful for me because I really realized how much I don't miss it at all. I think I needed to have that drink though to really know, because all week, I struggled with this feeling of missing out, even though I have had sooo many benefits from going AF. Whatever you decide to do, as others have said, it's not win or lose! It's all learning and experience that can inform us as we continue making decisions along this journey.

We are in the same boat! I probably will drink a beer tomorrow. One reason is that I dont really love beer like I like vodka or wine. So, I wont go overboard. It is a struggle because I fear that I will feel awful , headache, nausea, and have the change that I'll wipe out my great record. Mind games.
    I love your words that it's all learning and we can use these life experiences to grow. xo

Same here with beer not being my first choice - even before I started trying to cut back on drinking for minimizing alcohol, I found that beer fills me up too much and since I lost weight and now in maintenance a couple beers really makes me feel full and bloated, but wine doesn’t have the same effect. It’s a bit of a cop out but it’s a good way for me to self regulate my drinking to actively choose beer instead of going for wine which I can drink significantly more of without physical discomfort (till the following morning).

I’m thinking of using that strategy this weekend since I have a March madness party tonight which is with friends I don’t see regularly, and then walking to the local st Pats parade tomorrow morning. I’ve been thinking a lot about whether I will drink tomorrow morning following what will likely be a little higher consumption tonight than I’ve been having for the last few months. I think a baileys in my coffee for the walk and then a beer at the parade would be manageable and wouldn’t lead to all day drinking like in the past. We’ll see...

Good luck with your weekend plans Julie I know you’ve been thinking about it quite a bit as well. And good luck to everyone who is “Irish for a Day”!

Good luck- I am laughing because I do have an "Irish for the Day" t-shirt. Like Erik said, I think, he doesn't want to see anyone on the floor!
    I don't plan to be vomiting on the floor but maybe do an Irish jig.
    I think if we are just sensible and mindful. We can moderate and still enjoy the holiday.
    Also, my buddy has already said that we will keep each other on track. Drink lots of water and make sure to eat a good meal.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    @suerlewis2 If you want to read good stuff, go back to January 1st (thread of same name but January instead of March) when Julie started this thread and read through til now. There are tons of tips, suggestions, stories etc. It will make you feel like you are not on this journey alone. It has helped so many of us tremendously. Good luck!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member

I’m the same! I will also do beer because it takes me a long time to drink it - thus I drink way less. Wine goes down way too easy :) I also don’t love beer. I like it for sure! Especially a floral/ fruitier IPA but would choose wine given the choice.
  • ali3boys
    ali3boys Posts: 84 Member
    suerlewis2 wrote: »
    Hiya! Would some help me please? I drink most every night after work and i know it's not good. Please help.
    READ READ READ ... reading these pages everyday; you will find topics that fit with your life and get tons of ideas and thoughts of things you could do or try. The best part is the feeling that your not alone <3 we are all trying to find our path.
  • ali3boys
    ali3boys Posts: 84 Member
    Smilin40 wrote: »
    I’m Irish living in Ireland and it’s st Patrick’s day on Saturday so I’m out but good luck to the rest of you.and please take a moment on Saturday in memory of my liver .

Dang :D We were suppose to be there vacationing right now... Looks amazing over there. Maybe next year ;)
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,304 Member
    I haven't chimed in too much, this week has been super busy! I have been 99% AF successful... however one night for reasons beyond my comprehension... I guzzled a glass of wine, an impulse took over and my brain didn't listen to my "NO"... luckily I came quickly to my senses and stopped at the one!

League bowling tonight, and I am sure everyone will be "Irish" for the tonight and tomorrow! Wearing my green t-shirt from last year, "Go Green - Conserve Water - Drink Beer". So in honor of conserving water, I will try an O'douls tonight! I don't think I have ever had one before, anyone know if these are worth the $6 to try tonight?

This is such a great thread, so happy to have found you all. I need you all more than I thought I did.

Top of the Day to you All!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    This weekend will be a big test for me. I am going away with my friends to party and go out to bars and dance. They are big drinkers but always under control. We have great laughs and love the holiday. And we Uber or walk everywhere. I will probably have a few drinks. Maybe not. I really won't know until I'm with them how I'll feel.

On one hand, I don't even want to take one sip; it has lost its appeal after 70+ days of AF.
    On the other hand, I may need this weekend to sign and seal the deal that my drinking days are over. I may indulge one last time and probably regret it.

What's strange is the anxiety I am feeling now just thinking about it. The reason I was able to be AF since Jan.1st was that I made an absolute rule within myself not to take a sip.

Just my 2 cents: That is HUGE and is the one thing I have not been able to do with myself that keeps leading me back to drinking. You have done an AMAZING job so far. I completely understand your concern and anxiety about this upcoming weekend. I think that you have to ask yourself what it is that you stand to gain by drinking this weekend. Is it really to prove to yourself that your drinking days are over or is it to prove to yourself that you can have the very occasional indulgence and then go back to being alcohol free? Either answer is fine, whatever it is that you are looking for. Just know that, from somebody that has been unable to make that commitment to myself, what you have accomplished is something to be very proud of and it might not be as easy if you have to start over.

Please know that I am by no means preaching here. I completely respect and support whatever you decide to do. I just wanted to offer a perspective from someone who continues to struggle with what you have accomplished and also let you know how much I admire you for it.

Thank you! I know you're not preaching. You have been so sensible and candid on this thread, and we love you for it. I think what I stand to gain is a headache! But also perhaps a little time to let my hair down.
    By no means will I go back to regular drinking or even drinking occasionally. I think I'll be the person who may drink once in a blue moon.
    But I do agree that it is not easy to start all over. You are so right.

You've made a ton of progress. You've learned your limitations and strengths. And you've exercised that willpower muscle ! So proud of your accomplishments.

Thank you for this Julie. You are right, I have made progress. I have to be proud of that, even though I still struggle with what it is I am hoping to get out of this challenge. I tend to beat myself up a bit because I see all of the fantastic comments from those of you who have given up alcohol and how good you feel and part of me wants that to be me too. But, on the other hand, I have not been able to do that and I know deep down inside the reason is that I am just not sure that I WANT to do it. I know that is the reason that I have not read any of the books or watched any of the videos that you all have posted or recommended. I enjoy having a glass of wine while I cook or relaxing with a cocktail with my husband and it's hard for me to imagine giving that up.

However, towards the end of last year, I began to realize that these nightly "indulgences" were becoming more of a habit and they were starting to really affect my life. That is when I found this group. If I look back to then, I realize that I have come a long, long way. I don't drink nightly anymore and when I do drink I rarely drink more than one or two drinks. I still have the occasional night where I may have gone overboard a bit, but not nearly as often as before or to the same extent. So in a way, I guess I have accomplished what I was hoping to with the help of this group. Maybe at times I have set unrealistic expectations for myself and then felt disappointed with myself when I came up short. That is probably what I need to work on the most.

As has been said over and over before, it is all a journey. I feel like my goals are constantly changing and that's okay. Where I am right now is actually a pretty good place and I owe a ton of gratitude to the members of this group for candidly sharing their experiences. It has helped so much!

This is exactly me. I mean almost word for word what's been in my head. I know I'm doing SO MUCH better than I was before - but I don't necessarily want to go all in the way that some people have. Then I start to question, is that because I really do have a problem and I'm afraid to admit it?

I really do think that for some of us, we needed to check ourselves before we wrecked ourselves - and this group is invaluable for that. I'm still cautiously optimistic that mindful moderation is a long term, viable solution for me, but I know that daily check ins here will help remind me if I need to tighten things up even further.

Mindful Moderation is a great way of putting it. As long as I am mindful, I can moderate. It's when I stop being mindful that I run into trouble. That is why I will continue to follow along with this group. It definitely helps keep me mindful.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    I haven't chimed in too much, this week has been super busy! I have been 99% AF successful... however one night for reasons beyond my comprehension... I guzzled a glass of wine, an impulse took over and my brain didn't listen to my "NO"... luckily I came quickly to my senses and stopped at the one!

League bowling tonight, and I am sure everyone will be "Irish" for the tonight and tomorrow! Wearing my green t-shirt from last year, "Go Green - Conserve Water - Drink Beer". So in honor of conserving water, I will try an O'douls tonight! I don't think I have ever had one before, anyone know if these are worth the $6 to try tonight?

This is such a great thread, so happy to have found you all. I need you all more than I thought I did.

Top of the Day to you All!

And the rest of the day to you! I had O'Douls a long time ago. It was pretty good. I'm assuming it hasn't changed much.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    This weekend will be a big test for me. I am going away with my friends to party and go out to bars and dance. They are big drinkers but always under control. We have great laughs and love the holiday. And we Uber or walk everywhere. I will probably have a few drinks. Maybe not. I really won't know until I'm with them how I'll feel.

On one hand, I don't even want to take one sip; it has lost its appeal after 70+ days of AF.
    On the other hand, I may need this weekend to sign and seal the deal that my drinking days are over. I may indulge one last time and probably regret it.

What's strange is the anxiety I am feeling now just thinking about it. The reason I was able to be AF since Jan.1st was that I made an absolute rule within myself not to take a sip.

Just my 2 cents: That is HUGE and is the one thing I have not been able to do with myself that keeps leading me back to drinking. You have done an AMAZING job so far. I completely understand your concern and anxiety about this upcoming weekend. I think that you have to ask yourself what it is that you stand to gain by drinking this weekend. Is it really to prove to yourself that your drinking days are over or is it to prove to yourself that you can have the very occasional indulgence and then go back to being alcohol free? Either answer is fine, whatever it is that you are looking for. Just know that, from somebody that has been unable to make that commitment to myself, what you have accomplished is something to be very proud of and it might not be as easy if you have to start over.

Please know that I am by no means preaching here. I completely respect and support whatever you decide to do. I just wanted to offer a perspective from someone who continues to struggle with what you have accomplished and also let you know how much I admire you for it.

Thank you! I know you're not preaching. You have been so sensible and candid on this thread, and we love you for it. I think what I stand to gain is a headache! But also perhaps a little time to let my hair down.
    By no means will I go back to regular drinking or even drinking occasionally. I think I'll be the person who may drink once in a blue moon.
    But I do agree that it is not easy to start all over. You are so right.

You've made a ton of progress. You've learned your limitations and strengths. And you've exercised that willpower muscle ! So proud of your accomplishments.

Thank you for this Julie. You are right, I have made progress. I have to be proud of that, even though I still struggle with what it is I am hoping to get out of this challenge. I tend to beat myself up a bit because I see all of the fantastic comments from those of you who have given up alcohol and how good you feel and part of me wants that to be me too. But, on the other hand, I have not been able to do that and I know deep down inside the reason is that I am just not sure that I WANT to do it. I know that is the reason that I have not read any of the books or watched any of the videos that you all have posted or recommended. I enjoy having a glass of wine while I cook or relaxing with a cocktail with my husband and it's hard for me to imagine giving that up.

However, towards the end of last year, I began to realize that these nightly "indulgences" were becoming more of a habit and they were starting to really affect my life. That is when I found this group. If I look back to then, I realize that I have come a long, long way. I don't drink nightly anymore and when I do drink I rarely drink more than one or two drinks. I still have the occasional night where I may have gone overboard a bit, but not nearly as often as before or to the same extent. So in a way, I guess I have accomplished what I was hoping to with the help of this group. Maybe at times I have set unrealistic expectations for myself and then felt disappointed with myself when I came up short. That is probably what I need to work on the most.

As has been said over and over before, it is all a journey. I feel like my goals are constantly changing and that's okay. Where I am right now is actually a pretty good place and I owe a ton of gratitude to the members of this group for candidly sharing their experiences. It has helped so much!

This is exactly me. I mean almost word for word what's been in my head. I know I'm doing SO MUCH better than I was before - but I don't necessarily want to go all in the way that some people have. Then I start to question, is that because I really do have a problem and I'm afraid to admit it?

I really do think that for some of us, we needed to check ourselves before we wrecked ourselves - and this group is invaluable for that. I'm still cautiously optimistic that mindful moderation is a long term, viable solution for me, but I know that daily check ins here will help remind me if I need to tighten things up even further.

You articulated my thoughts perfectly.
  • Stepping18
    Stepping18 Posts: 25 Member
    missanne11 wrote: »
    Well I'm mad 9 days AF and been exercising crazy and logging everything and weighed myself. Up a pound. I ended up drinking. I'm on 3 white rum and club sodas watching tv. Still going to gym tomorrow but
    Pissed. Very frustrated. Doing lots of cardio and weightlifting. More than I've done in past 5? Years consistently. Anyone else experiencing this. I could cry

It's ok to feel frustrated. Trust me, I've been there before. You are doing the right things, just keep going. Exercise and eating healthy will be worth it.
    Sending positive thoughts your way !!

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member

NormInv wrote: »
    that is most incredible....my longest streak been 37 days

Thank you. Tiny baby steps.

• missanne11
    missanne11 Posts: 79 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    missanne11 wrote: »
    Well I'm mad 9 days AF and been exercising crazy and logging everything and weighed myself. Up a pound. I ended up drinking. I'm on 3 white rum and club sodas watching tv. Still going to gym tomorrow but
    Pissed. Very frustrated. Doing lots of cardio and weightlifting. More than I've done in past 5? Years consistently. Anyone else experiencing this. I could cry

STOP @missanne11!
    Muscle weighs more than fat...Girl you are more than likely getting fit right before your eyes. It is only one pound, NOT 10. Take a deep breath. I wish I could send you my inspirational CD from Chalene Johnson of Beachbody workout. She would reasure you that you are on the right path.
    Please don't cry. That would start a chain reaction on here and we would all be crying. :)

I guess but I was hoping to see weight loss. Ugh. This is hard battle. This group and the gym friends r keeping me going. I just want to see weight loss. Soo hard!!