Cringe Worthy Sayings

Options

Replies

• huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    A number of years ago a relative and her husband lost their child only a couple weeks after his birth and one of the biggest aholes I've ever met (family 'friend') told her "It just wasn't meant to be. God needed him more."

Crap like that infuriates me.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    becky10rp wrote: »
    When a family member/loved one dies and someone tells you 'they're in a better place'. Makes me want to tell this person I wish THEY were in that same 'better place'.

It's even worse for a parent whose lost a child.

Yes! I just had this convo with some friends this morning. As a parent that has lost a child, there's no better place for her but here with her family. Period. And don't tell me "he has a plan". His plan sucks.

I am so sorry for your loss. I can’t fathom the pain you must have felt or are still feeling. I wish I could offer more comfort than that.

Thank you.

It's been many years but the hole and pain are always there. I use her to advocate and help others when I can.
  • huntersvonnegut
    Options
    White girl wasted.
    Lol had to look that one up
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    White girl wasted.
    Lol had to look that one up

I still really don't understand what it means, anyone that gets that wasted looks stupid no matter what.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    "All guys do it." to explain away douchy behavior.
  • lujako
    lujako Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Seriously
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    When a family member/loved one dies and someone tells you 'they're in a better place'. Makes me want to tell this person I wish THEY were in that same 'better place'.

I've been guilty of that one... I just never know the right thing to say. :grimace:

“I’m so so for your loss. I’m here for you.”

Sometimes it just feels like such a generic thing to say. The "they're in a better place" Has been reserved for people who I know went through a lot of pain and suffering before their death. I guess in my mind, I find comfort knowing they are no longer suffering. But yes "I'm sorry for your loss, and I am here if you need me" has become my go to for the most part anymore. I just hope the people I say it to know I really mean it.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    "That's so adorbs." or "That's "adorkable!"

What's wrong with the word "adorable"?
  • Crafty_camper123
    edited February 2018
    Options
    That's ratchet! It's supposed to mean "trashy" but I just think of tools when I hear it.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    "You my boo" or "He's my boo" or "I got you, boo.". No. No. No. When you call someone "boo", I feel like you're calling them something you would call your dog, not someone you are seeing romantically.

"Beau" is okay, although I'd rather not hear anyone under the age of 50 using that term because it just seems.. awkward.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Ya know
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You know.

No, I don't know and I don't care to know, Ugh!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    "My baby daddy."
  • Crafty_camper123
    Options
    "There's no price on this, so it MUST be free, Right?"
  • huntersvonnegut
    Options

I've been guilty of that one... I just never know the right thing to say. :grimace:

“I’m so so for your loss. I’m here for you.”

Sometimes it just feels like such a generic thing to say. The "they're in a better place" Has been reserved for people who I know went through a lot of pain and suffering before their death. I guess in my mind, I find comfort knowing they are no longer suffering. But yes "I'm sorry for your loss, and I am here if you need me" has become my go to for the most part anymore. I just hope the people I say it to know I really mean it.

I hope we can agree to disagree. In my experience, "they're in a better place" has also been used for people who died suddenly. Everyone is entitled to their personal belief about an afterlife. I'll give some wiggle room for a loved one who wasted away from cancer, etc. but my personal belief is that this life is it so someone telling me my father is in a better place means [expletive deleted] all to me. A sincere expression of sympathy and offer of a shoulder to cry on means so much more. To me.
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    When someone quotes something from the urban dictionary......there is rarely anything urban about it.....pop culture, sure....urban, hardly.