Cringe Worthy Sayings

Options

Replies

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    When a guy calls another guy Bud, Champ, Sport, Pal, etc. It sounds so condescending.

I think people addressing women as "dear" or "dearie" is pretty condescending and I have a visceral reaction every time someone addresses me using those terms.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    "White trash *kitten* pour"

Love/Hate

*kitten rhymes with 'pour'
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Not a phrase, but when people use "ur" instead of your or you're.
    Come on people, we have the luxury of full keyboards now.
  • Just_Mel_
    Options
    I love/like you as a Friend.
    #alwaysfriendzoned
    #hashtagsdontworkhere
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    empresssue wrote: »
    81Katz wrote: »
    A number of years ago a relative and her husband lost their child only a couple weeks after his birth and one of the biggest aholes I've ever met (family 'friend') told her "It just wasn't meant to be. God needed him more."

I heard this at least a hundred times when my daughter died. No he didn't need her more than we did. I also heard at least you can have more. You don't know that for sure and even I do have more, they will never replace the one lost.

Everything about this is horrible.

People never know what to say when tragedy strikes and I think more often than not just showing your support is worth more than stupid platitudes.

Agreed. I understand that people get uncomfortable and awkward during times of grief, especially a child and sometimes just blurt stuff out.

I make it a point every year on her death anniversary date to remind people that when someone is grieving from a tremendous loss that less really is more. Let them know you sympathize and you will be there if they need you. No need for "extra" comforting words that may not necessarily be a comfort to them.

It will be 19 years in April and some of the things people said to me still haunt me. I can usually let things go but there's a few things in this circumstance that I just can't, despite my efforts to try.

Because I have such a dark sense of humor: my oldest son lived only 3 weeks. He would be 24 this year. My 5 yr old niece at the time said the best thing to me: Aunt Sue, you’ll have to keep the next one alive. She said it so matter of factly & so practically that I had to laugh :smile:

Ok, that's funny. Kids are so honest and tactless at the same time.
  • empresssue
    empresssue Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    empresssue wrote: »
    A number of years ago a relative and her husband lost their child only a couple weeks after his birth and one of the biggest aholes I've ever met (family 'friend') told her "It just wasn't meant to be. God needed him more."

I heard this at least a hundred times when my daughter died. No he didn't need her more than we did. I also heard at least you can have more. You don't know that for sure and even I do have more, they will never replace the one lost.

Everything about this is horrible.

People never know what to say when tragedy strikes and I think more often than not just showing your support is worth more than stupid platitudes.

Agreed. I understand that people get uncomfortable and awkward during times of grief, especially a child and sometimes just blurt stuff out.

I make it a point every year on her death anniversary date to remind people that when someone is grieving from a tremendous loss that less really is more. Let them know you sympathize and you will be there if they need you. No need for "extra" comforting words that may not necessarily be a comfort to them.

It will be 19 years in April and some of the things people said to me still haunt me. I can usually let things go but there's a few things in this circumstance that I just can't, despite my efforts to try.

Because I have such a dark sense of humor: my oldest son lived only 3 weeks. He would be 24 this year. My 5 yr old niece at the time said the best thing to me: Aunt Sue, you’ll have to keep the next one alive. She said it so matter of factly & so practically that I had to laugh :smile:

Ok, that's funny. Kids are so honest and tactless at the same time.

It was just what I needed. She grabbed onto & held my hand right after she said it.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    " To Be Honest " so dose this mean you weren't honest before ?

I heard once that when someone says that, they are actually lying
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I hate when people do a spin on "lions, tigers, bears- oh my!" It's usually on a foodie blog article. Just stab me.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    "Adulting", not a phrase, but a stupid word in my opinion
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    A pregnant woman is "about to pop."
  • Just_Mel_
    Options
    I hate when someone uses "chunky" or "fluffy" to describe a bigger girl.
  • princess7955
    princess7955 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I hate when someone uses "chunky" or "fluffy" to describe a bigger girl.

Went to high school with this girl that wore a tshirt that read "I'm not fat, I'm fluffy". Poor girl got teased a lot, but she kept wearing the shirt!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    From a guy I don’t like hearing “bro”

From a girl I don’t like hearing “hun.” FINISH the word, lol. Say “honey.”

Bro or brother is obnoxious. Makes me think of roided out Hulk Hogan. Bye 80's.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    hapa11 wrote: »

Preggers, prego, bun in the oven .... :grimace:
  • princess7955
    princess7955 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options

Preggers, prego, bun in the oven .... :grimace:

Or also for a pregnant lady ..."in your condition"...
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options

"Preggers" "preggo" and "put a bun in this oven" should be slotted into this category as well.

Also, "food baby". No.. it's not cute and it's not funny.