March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent you need to PR your next Half marathon in Virginia Beach! It’s super flat!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Has anyone run the Wineglass Marathon in the Finger Lakes? That will be my first marathon, and I’m just curious for some feedback as I’m training.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent you need to PR your next Half marathon in Virginia Beach! It’s super flat!

My sights right now are on PR at the Full Marathon in May. The half attempt should me I have some work to do yet. Hopefully weather will be nicer, come May too...
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

My sights right now are on PR at the Full Marathon in May. The half attempt should me I have some work to do yet. Hopefully weather will be nicer, come May too...

you should have nicer weather, more training, and, I'm guessing a better course for it. You got it. Relax and run with confidence.
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Wow, it’s cold and snowy out there! Congratulations to everyone on surviving tough races this weekend @sarahthes @PastorVincent @polskagirl01 (back to back PW and PR is impressive!)

March goal: 60 miles

3/1/2018 5 mi
    3/2/2018 rest
    3/3/2018 6 mi
    3/4/2018 snowboarding w/kids
    3/5/2018 xtrain rowing machine
    3/6/2018 3.1 mi
    3/7/2018 rest
    3/8/2018 3.1 mi
    3/9/2018 3 mi
    3/10/2018 biked 11 mi w/my dad and kids
    3/11/2018 7 mi
    3/12/2018 bike commute day 1 (9 mi)
    3/13/2018 2.4 mi
    3/14/2018 3.1 mi + bike commute
    3/15/2018 rest
    3/16/2018 3.1 mi + bike commute
    3/17/2018 rest
    3/18/2018 8 mi

March total: 43.8 mi

Upcoming races:
    4/29/2018 5K Top Pot Donut Dash
    7/8/2018 See Jane Run! HM?
    8/12/2018 Lake Union 10K

I got my 8 miles in today, with my new hydration belt, which worked well. I had a few sips on the run, but where I was really happy with it was during my cool down still down on the bike trail, being hydrated made the mile steep uphill back home much more pleasant. I’m pretty beat now, though—the biking miles this week definitely added to my overall energy output, so tomorrow I’m thinking I’ll stick to the biking only again. Plus I got a new pull up bar yesterday, and we’re all having fun with that, so I’ll add some work towards pull ups too. I think I’m on track to goal, but I have some busy work travel right at the end of the month, so I need to get all the miles in early enough so any hotel treadmill work I can do will be gravy (unless there’s good, easy running to be had in downtown San Francisco!)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Has anyone run the Wineglass Marathon in the Finger Lakes? That will be my first marathon, and I’m just curious for some feedback as I’m training.

@marisap2010 I ran the Wineglass Half last year and know several people who have run the full. It's a nice race, very well organized. Pretty flat with a bit of rolling hills. It's point to point, so you have to bus on one end or the other, but it was easy enough I thought. I stayed on the Bath end, but would want to stay on the Corning side if possible next time (and definitely NOT in the super cheap hotel I stayed at). It's still under consideration for me for my first full this year, but I'd like to do a little later fall race. If you have any particular questions let me know.

Congrats again to all the racers, lots of tough people getting it done this weekend!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

@marisap2010 I ran the Wineglass Half last year and know several people who have run the full. It's a nice race, very well organized. Pretty flat with a bit of rolling hills. It's point to point, so you have to bus on one end or the other, but it was easy enough I thought. I stayed on the Bath end, but would want to stay on the Corning side if possible next time (and definitely NOT in the super cheap hotel I stayed at). It's still under consideration for me for my first full this year, but I'd like to do a little later fall race. If you have any particular questions let me know.

Congrats again to all the racers, lots of tough people getting it done this weekend!

Thanks for the info! My husband’s family lives in the area, which is one reason why I chose this race. I am just excited and nervous about it all!

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Skipped m run today to catch up on the weightlifting sessions I missed this weekend.

Glutes, Bis & Tris, and Abs. Tomorrow should be a workout day but I'm taking it as a rest because I have an 8 am appointment, 10:30 coffee, 1:30 lunch, dinner & hockey game. I never do anything on my day off but somehow everything fell on this Monday. Oi.
  • ttelmo
    ttelmo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have some new runner questions if anyone is able to cast her mind back to when she was new to running. Or he. You know what I mean.

1) I wanted to stretch before and after running so I just typed “running stretch” in YouTube and followed the first 2 videos I saw. One was a “pre-run” and the other was post. All of the recommended stretches were for legs, and I did them all. Then I thought, Am I weird if my core is a little tired after running? How do I stretch my core? Does this mean I’m running wrong? Can someone recommend a resource for post run stretching? Kind of embarrassed to be asking this.

2) Sometimes I do 2 treadmill sessions on consecutive days in c25k. I know I’m not supposed to based on the podcast I’m listening to, but I don’t feel sore or tired the next day and it’s when I have time. I don’t run, more like jog at 5.something mph. How bad is it for me not to take a day off in between as a new runner? Nothing bad has happened to me so far but “so far” is just a few weeks.

3) This is not a question but I’m thinking of signing up for a 5k on fivefiftyfifty.com. I guess this organization runs 50 5Ks in 50 states in as many days to raise awareness about mental illness. I thought I’d put it out there since anxiety disorders came up here the other day. I don’t know if I’ll sign up for the one in my state yet. 3 miles still seems pretty far to me.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    ttelmo wrote: »
    I have some new runner questions if anyone is able to cast her mind back to when she was new to running. Or he. You know what I mean.

I am a pretty new runner myself but here is what I've learned...
    1) I wanted to stretch before and after running so I just typed “running stretch” in YouTube and followed the first 2 videos I saw. One was a “pre-run” and the other was post. All of the recommended stretches were for legs, and I did them all. Then I thought, Am I weird if my core is a little tired after running? How do I stretch my core? Does this mean I’m running wrong? Can someone recommend a resource for post run stretching? Kind of embarrassed to be asking this.

Yoga with Adriene has some good running stretch videos. I've done one or two of them. If you're not having pain your form is probably okay, or as okay as it can be for a new runner ;)
    2) Sometimes I do 2 treadmill sessions on consecutive days in c25k. I know I’m not supposed to based on the podcast I’m listening to, but I don’t feel sore or tired the next day and it’s when I have time. I don’t run, more like jog at 5.something mph. How bad is it for me not to take a day off in between as a new runner? Nothing bad has happened to me so far but “so far” is just a few weeks.

As a new runner, it is really easy to overdo it and not realize it. Often your cardio fitness improves before your legs & feet do. Run back to back days with caution. I did it a couple of times during C25K myself when life conspired to have me miss a session and didn't have problems either, but I didn't do that every week nor multiple weeks in a row.
    3) This is not a question but I’m thinking of signing up for a 5k on fivefiftyfifty.com. I guess this organization runs 50 5Ks in 50 states in as many days to raise awareness about mental illness. I thought I’d put it out there since anxiety disorders came up here the other day. I don’t know if I’ll sign up for the one in my state yet. 3 miles still seems pretty far to me.

Signing up for a race sounds awesome! I ran my first 5K about 2 weeks after finishing C25K. I walked a fair bit of it but I still had a blast and was super stoked to finish as fast as I did (I was estimating 42 minutes ahead of time and finished in 38 and change). The race was the first time I finished 5K! Races are goals and a good way to keep yourself invested and committed. I use them to fight my natural tendency for laziness. I'm sure I would have stopped running months ago otherwise.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options

My warmup before running has always been just walking. But dynamic stretching before is usually recommended (hops, leg swings etc - runners world usually has a lot of info here). I have always done well with just a quarter mile walk. Running is kind of trial and error and finding what works for you.

As for after, I LOVE the runners world recovery yoga routine. It's about 20 minutes and I always try to do it after my long runs (shorter runs I usually just walk and do like 10 minutes of stretching - full body stuff but usually pulled from dance class or the runners world video - depends on what I feel I need).

Here's the link to the runners world yoga: https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-world-yoga-center/class-4-recovery-yoga

I hope that gives you some ideas! I will have to look up the 50 state thing. Sounds interesting.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    Oh, I missed the second question! Rest days are important! If you find a schedule that works for you with two days in a row, I think you are ok, as long as you take as many rest days as are in the plan. I've never done C25K but if they have you doing 3 days of running and 4 days of rest, just adjust your schedule to have all active and rest days included.

I've never been able to do anything as it's scheduled. We all have *kitten* going on and need to arrange our schedules accordingly.

There is a difference between sore and hurt. Sore, meh, you can run again. Hurt or pain? Take a break. And always go slower than you think because going fast can *kitten* you up and cause problems.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    By 13k I had abandoned all semblance of a pace. Goofed around with photographers, thanked volunteers, highfived little kids, chatted with one guy who had somehow lost his running shorts and was running with a bath towel around his waist.

Congrats on your race, but, seriously, how did you not get this guy's story?
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Personally? I have not stretched before a run since I left High School track. Static stretching like they teach in High School (or used to at least) is bad in general. Dynamic stretches are considered better, but I personally do not bother. If I have an hour to run, I spend it running. I do not do warm ups of any kind for training. I do walk for a bit for cool down, but no stretching there either. I do warm up before shorter races (5k, 10k, and the like) that I want to perform my best for, but I do that by running not by stretches.

YMMV, IME, and all that. :)

Everyone is different here, but it is easy to over train. Make sure you are getting rest days in each week. Running 2 days back to back is not necessarily bad. Pay attention to your body, and watch for signs of over training.

I do not know anything about the event you are speaking of, but in general: If you are new to 5k's you should make an effort to start with ones that are well organized locally. You do not want your first few race experiences to be bad ones just because they were poorly run. That can easily sap your will to run while well organized events can be fun, uplifting and encouraging.