March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Long run today. Sidewalks were awful with snow so it felt more like a trail trudge than a run. I kept my pace to where I wasn't breathing too hard, and felt fine. Basically I went out with no route in mind, and ran around surveying where there were decent sidewalks (didn't find any). Got in 20k and was going to call it a day, but got home and couldn't figure out what to do about my training plan because I missed last week's long run and the past few weeks haven't been on target either. So I changed into dry clothing and went back out for another 10k and am now back on track.

I've got a lot of respect for you long distance winter trail runners. I am SO ready for Spring!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Long run today. Sidewalks were awful with snow so it felt more like a trail trudge than a run. I kept my pace to where I wasn't breathing too hard, and felt fine. Basically I went out with no route in mind, and ran around surveying where there were decent sidewalks (didn't find any). Got in 20k and was going to call it a day, but got home and couldn't figure out what to do about my training plan because I missed last week's long run and the past few weeks haven't been on target either. So I changed into dry clothing and went back out for another 10k and am now back on track.

I've got a lot of respect for you long distance winter trail runners. I am SO ready for Spring!

Great job getting in all the distance! I have a love/hate relationship with spring. The warmer temps are nice, but having trails that are less runnable than either winter or summer is hard.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 Well done!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Great job getting in all the distance! I have a love/hate relationship with spring. The warmer temps are nice, but having trails that are less runnable than either winter or summer is hard.

Ahh yes, mud. Let me rephrase that - I am SO ready for summer! Of course then you'll point out the heat and bugs. Hmm... Either way, I still want to try a trail half marathon this summer, to see if I like it.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @Pastorvincent -Congrats on finishing your first official half! Sorry it wasn't as planned though. Live and learn. And if you want a HM PR, pick a flatter course...that hill looks brutal!

@cburke8909 -Congrats!! I knew you could do it!

@MobyCarp- Well done! You aren't kidding about the tough field...wow!

@JulieS3103 and @zdyb23456 - Congrats on the PRs! Well done!

@sarahthes - Way to tough it out girl! I think the face of the woman behind you in the photo says it all!

@polskagirl101- I love the photo. Congrats on powering through and on the 5K PR!

@Honunui- Wow, sounds like a productive weekend!

@kgirlhart- Congrats on the distance PR...you deserved the donuts!

@abutcher2122 - Congrats on the PR and the AG placement...Well done!

@noblsheep- Sounds like quite a race! I love the medal. Great job on getting it done despite not feeling under prepared!

@Teresa502- Congrats!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

exercise.png

Ahh yes, mud. Let me rephrase that - I am SO ready for summer! Of course then you'll point out the heat and bugs. Hmm... Either way, I still want to try a trail half marathon this summer, to see if I like it.

hahahahahahahaha. Bugs don't bug me...LOL.... heat I can cope with. I just don't likt trashing trails that rean't really runnable, since it ruins it for everyone else.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

exercise.png

In SW Ohio, we get freeze and thaw all winter long, so that pretty much describes our trails in the winter. I just started getting my feet wet (pun intended) with the trail running last fall, so I am very much looking forward to hitting them again now that spring is kind of here (except for the 4 inches of snow that we are supposed to get this week).
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

exercise.png

hahahahahahahaha. Bugs don't bug me...LOL.... heat I can cope with. I just don't likt trashing trails that rean't really runnable, since it ruins it for everyone else.

I mostly outrun mosquitoes but we're already having to run through clouds of gnats, which I hate! As for the heat, in three months when it's 90% humidity and 110 degrees F, I will look back to these days with nostalgia. But the main thing is, our wetland trails are full of water moccasins!

The hazards are part of what makes trails fun! At least we don't have bears or cougars in Memphis, unlike some other runners on this thread. I have a running friend in Africa who has to worry about lions and hyaenas!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options

exercise.png

I mostly outrun mosquitoes but we're already having to run through clouds of gnats, which I hate! As for the heat, in three months when it's 90% humidity and 110 degrees F, I will look back to these days with nostalgia. But the main thing is, our wetland trails are full of water moccasins!

The hazards are part of what makes trails fun! At least we don't have bears or cougars in Memphis, unlike some other runners on this thread. I have a running friend in Africa who has to worry about lions and hyaenas!

The real danger in Edmonton is Canada Geese (in summer). So many aggressive geese... The nesting flocks can be 70-80 birds and they migrate from pond to pond so it's hard to know which one is safe on a given day.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Oh, and our mosquitoes are so big they have to file flight plans.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

The problem around here is wolves and the occasional cougar... and Moose, when they are around. They can be VERY cranky animals. A lot of the trails here are multi-use, and ripping them up wrecks it for the MTB guys, so we stay off until things dry out after the thaw.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I've yet to encounter an animal on trail, but it's bound to happen soon. Rattlesnakes and mountain lions are probably the scariest of things, and encountering a rattlesnake will be more likely than a mountain lion, simply due to the time I run on trail and the higher traffic (relatively speaking) nature of the areas where I run. I hear coyotes on my morning (road) runs, but never see them. I run near a cemetery and a golf course, so I suspect they are hanging out there.

Lots of mule deer, but they tend to be pretty hidey unless early in the AM or at dusk.

Rattlesnakes really wig me out because I'm afraid I simply won't see one in time to avoid it.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    exercise.png