March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Digging the battle scars. But aren't you supposed to get those on race courses and not training runs? Heal up buddy.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @kevaasen- Interesting! Thanks for taking the time to do the calculations. It's interesting to see the comparison between our cadence and strides at a similar pace. What do you think beats you up more, running a 10K race or a long training run? For me, it would definitely be the race, even compared to a 20 mile run.

@MobyCarp- Yikes! Be careful out there man. I hope you heal quickly!

@Stoshew71- Thanks for pulling those videos out. Looking forward to watching them during lunch.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Did 3.5 on the trail last night and 4.4 on the road this morning. Didn't know how the back-to-back would feel, but I'm fine. The key was a good night's sleep. I probably had time to do 4 on trail before heading back to pick up my son, so I'll keep that in mind for next week. I am so, so fortunate that I have such great access to trails!

My run last night has an enormous hill of around 700' elevation gain the first mile, and I *almost* ran the whole way up. I had to walk (power hike?) for about 20 yards. It was super muddy, too, so it was nice to have some practice contending with that. Also saw a nice herd of mule deer and stopped for a photo op (I'm on Instagram as im_juneaus_mom if anyone cares to follow because I'm awful at uploading my photos from phone > pc > MFP).
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    @katharmonic Congrats!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    So this month has been....frustrating and rough!

I had goals. Oh ya, big goals! I was bumping up the mileage, Feeling pretty darn good, too, farthest I have done in any of my previous attempts (half witted attempts, I might add, this was the 1st time with an actual structured plan) cranking out the miles on the CT10K, new running bra, shoes, clothes, life was great! Then......my body decided to kick back. I started having "broncho-spasms", asthma-like. Gasping for air-like. Started after my run on 3/3. Two doctor visits and an ER visit, waiting on a Pulmonologist visit next week, 2 daily inhalers, but I still haven't run since then. Still having issues.

I have started doing yoga daily until we can figure me out (ya, like THAT will start anytime soon!), but I really do want to get back to running. I did a work sponsored "at the desk mini 15 min work-out" and that left me gasping & coughing. Maybe someday soon......

3/1 - 3.62 miles
    3/3 - 3.77 miles - 7.39 miles total
    self care and making sure you are healthy are important parts of running/training. You are taking care of you, and that's important!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So this month has been....frustrating and rough!

I had goals. Oh ya, big goals! I was bumping up the mileage, Feeling pretty darn good, too, farthest I have done in any of my previous attempts (half witted attempts, I might add, this was the 1st time with an actual structured plan) cranking out the miles on the CT10K, new running bra, shoes, clothes, life was great! Then......my body decided to kick back. I started having "broncho-spasms", asthma-like. Gasping for air-like. Started after my run on 3/3. Two doctor visits and an ER visit, waiting on a Pulmonologist visit next week, 2 daily inhalers, but I still haven't run since then. Still having issues.

I have started doing yoga daily until we can figure me out (ya, like THAT will start anytime soon!), but I really do want to get back to running. I did a work sponsored "at the desk mini 15 min work-out" and that left me gasping & coughing. Maybe someday soon......

3/1 - 3.62 miles
    3/3 - 3.77 miles - 7.39 miles total
    self care and making sure you are healthy are important parts of running/training. You are taking care of you, and that's important!

7z65nbs01rau.jpg
  • PastorVincent
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    SO TRACKING QUESTION

Today, as an example, I ran on the big fancy expensive dreadmills at the gym. I set the controls for 7.5 MPH (8 min pace) and random incline with an average of 4% grade. I ran for 61:15 and the dreadmill registered 7.65 miles. I overshot my hour target but that is a secondary point...

I tracked the run using my Gramin 935 and Garmin footpod. I have run with the footpod many times outside on auto-calibrate. The Garmin claims I ran 7.99 miles (had I known I would have kept going lol) at 7:41 pace for the same 61:15 time.

So which one is more likely to be correct?

I am no expert, but as a guess... The dreadmill is measuring distance because it knows how fast that belt is moving and can figure out pretty accurately what the distance was.

distance = speed (miles per minute the belt is moving) x time (minutes treadmill operating)

The footpod? I do not know too much about how they work in accuracy, but I believe they are using gyroscopes to measure quick changes in movement to figure out how many steps you're taking, estimating when your feet are on the ground vs in the air, cadence, ect. My guess is that the footpod is estimating distance by counting your steps and then applying what your average stride length is. If I remember right, they say you have to run outdoors in GPS mode a few times for that thing to work and understand how you run? The only problem I would think with that is, people run differently on a treadmill (smooth belt going a constant speed and forcing you to maintain a certain pace) than outdoors (uneven surface that remains stationary). That and GPS distance is extremely inaccurate for measuring precise distances. (remember our discussion on running the tangents and how race courses are certified distances)

DCRainmaker thinks highly of them: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/01/garmin-ant-foot-pods-everything-you.html

He says:
    I've found time and again that the latest generation of foot pods are incredibly accurate.

But, rereading that I am remembering that I have not tried his calibration tool yet. I will have to do that and see what happens. That might change everything.

ETA: No I will not :( It is Windows only. Bah.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I have a 20% off full priced item coupon at REI and I'm going to pull the trigger on a hydration vest.

Anyone familiar with the Osprey Dyna 6 or 1.5? I've tried a few on, and so far I like this one the most.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @girlinahat Cool!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    So, there's supposed to be 8 inches of snow from tomorrow morning through Saturday morning, right where my Saturday race is.... Seems like a decent amount of people are dropping already... AG placement for slow old me??? Bring it on!

@MNLittleFinn enjoy! And have a great race! My strategy would be to stay in the back and let others pack the snow down for me.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    So, there's supposed to be 8 inches of snow from tomorrow morning through Saturday morning, right where my Saturday race is.... Seems like a decent amount of people are dropping already... AG placement for slow old me??? Bring it on!

@MNLittleFinn enjoy! And have a great race! My strategy would be to stay in the back and let others pack the snow down for me.

That's EXACTLY my plan. I'm back of the pack anyway, so I figure I should use it to my advantage.
  • lporter229
    Options
    @AlphaHowls - Wow, you run a crap ton of miles with little rest. Do you have an injury prevention routine? Do you mind sharing? Thanks!
  • lporter229
    Options
    This is a list of foot care tips for runners from a podiatrist who is part of our running group. I thought some of you might find it helpful.

https://cincinnatifootcare.com/foot-care-tips-for-runners/