March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Last day of school before Spring Break!!!
    Rested foot again (well... okay... I did strength training with glutes and legs). It's killing me to not give a short run a try... but I'm going to try to not run on it until Saturday morning in London. Try is the keyword here.
    I might just do a mile tonight on treadmill and see. If any pain I stop.

Probably won't hit running goal but lots of lifting and cycling in so I can't complain I guess. Staying healthy is what's most important!

3/1 - rest day
    3/2 - 5 miles + Strength training - W6-C
    3/3 - 26 miles cycling
    3/4 - 3 miles + strength training -w6-D
    3/5 - 3.5 miles + strength training W7-A
    3/6 - 4.5 miles
    3/7 - strength training W7-B
    3/8 - 4.5 miles + strength training W7-C
    3/9 - REST DAY!
    3/10 - 3.2 miles + strength training W7-D
    3/11 - 51 miles cycling
    3/12 - rest day
    3/13 -10K for the Run for the Deep + Strength training W8-C
    3/14 - Strength training W8-D
    3/15 - 4.5 miles w/tabatas
    3/16 - Strength training W8-A
    3/17 - 34 miles cycling
    3/18 - 47 miles cycling
    3/19 - 4 miles on treadmill.
    3/20 - 3.5 with tabatas
    3/21 - Strength training W8-D repeating week 8
    3/22 - 4.5 miles
    3/23 = REST
    3/24 - 34 miles cycling + Strength training W8-A repeating w8
    3/25 - 63 miles cycling! Tour de Cure
    3/26 - REST
    3/27 - Strength training W8-C repeat w8
    3/28 - Strength training W8-B repeat w8

exercise.png
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Winter is here again... @juliet3455 looks like Jasper has an awful lot of snow in the forecast the next 10 days or so! It's gonna be a good time...
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @sarahthes Yes sounds like it could be a bit of a snow slog.

Quite a bit of the course they can run a snow plow down - except for 2-3 km through the bush around the one lake which promises to be the " Fun " part of the HM.

We have had over 30cm ( foot ) this week and it is snowing right now. A local Hill in Northern BC - aptly called Powder King received 62 cm ( 24.5 in ) of snow so far this week and more is coming. Present snowbase is 338cm ( 133 in = 11 ft ) there record is over 40 ft. That year the snowcats had to plow down the lift line to make a Hole / Trail in the snow for the chairs as they were dragging in the snow. My Jasper Taper is about to be interrupted by 3 days of unplanned Powder skiing >:)o:) .

I am normally just over the 2 hr mark for this course, I expect closer to 2:30 this year due to conditions and training interruptions.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    March 3 – 10.02 miles
    March 4 – 4.00 miles
    March 5 – 5.26 miles
    March 7 – 5.00 miles
    March 9 – 5.00 miles (treadmill)
    March 10 – 10.00 miles
    March 12 – 5.10 slow miles (treadmill)
    March 14 – 1 mile
    March 15 – 3.5 miles
    March 16 – 4.08 miles (Shamrock 4-miler; 3rd in AG)
    March 17 – 9.89 miles
    March 19 – 5.03 miles
    March 20 – 5.3 miles (Birthday Run)
    March 23 – 10.01 miles
    March 26 – 5.08 miles
    March 27 – 4.47 miles
    March 28 – 5.34 miles

May not make my monthly goal this month. I'm off work on Friday though so I plan on doing some extra. How many extra - who knows!

Upcoming Races:
    April 7 – Cooper River Bridge Run
    May 6 – Pittsburgh Half Marathon
    September 7-8 – Blue Ridge Relay
    October 20 – Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 go for wild Duluth for your 100k. I'll pace for you!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

@MNLittleFinn That sounds like a great race, but my main races have to be in the spring. Sailing season is from May through the end of September and my miles will go way down. Wild Duluth is also MEA weekend and we'll likely be touring colleges this year and maybe next. The third reason Wild Duluth would be tough to do is that Surph The Murph is that same weekend. That race is held on my "home" trail just 2 miles away. I'd do Surph the Murph before Wild Duluth just for that reason.

@cburke8909 I imagine the laughs from those two boys make it all worth while! And here I thought I had a tough run last night because my underwear kept wanting to wedge itself up in there. I never could get it adjust right for some reason.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Nearly 12 miles for Kody & I last night. I had a need for "speed" so we went a paved route and ran some more mile in our quest to run this entire town. I found a really cool rural pocket way down south that I didn't know existed. I also found a new development which wasn't on my city map. I didn't have time to add that to the run last night so I'll have to pick it up later.

@ddmom0811 Sorry to hear about your foot! Yes, stay off of it until London! As tempting as it is to test, I'm sure you wouldn't want that foot pain to impact your trip!

This is for all you OCD types out there. I had 12 miles on my training plan. I picked a route that I thought would get me close. As I neared the end of my run I saw I was probably going to be a bit short. I ended up in my driveway at 11.91 miles. And I hit the Stop button...and went inside, just 0.09 miles from my target. And it didn't bother me. :oina68emkjflh.jpg

I definitely would have gone around the block to get to 12.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@MNLittleFinn That sounds like a great race, but my main races have to be in the spring. Sailing season is from May through the end of September and my miles will go way down. Wild Duluth is also MEA weekend and we'll likely be touring colleges this year and maybe next. The third reason Wild Duluth would be tough to do is that Surph The Murph is that same weekend. That race is held on my "home" trail just 2 miles away. I'd do Surph the Murph before Wild Duluth just for that reason.

Gotcha. Surf the Murph is on my radar for sometime. This year is all planned out, but Next year is always an option, if I don't go for something truly crazy.....
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @7lenny7 Are you doing the Zumbro 100 mile like @MNLittleFinn ?

Hes doing the 50 mile. Its got a midnight start. Pretty cool

I'm so excited for you guys!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    A tough 4 this morning that was supposed to be 6, but I woke up later than I wanted. A little easy on the miles before this weekend's long run is probably best. The weather is supposed to be crappy tonight, so I'll miss my extra trail time since boy kid's soccer practice will likely be cancelled. I took tomorrow off work (and Friday is a holiday at my company), so maybe my short run for Thursday will be on some dirt.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @7Lenny7 -There was a time when that would have driven me nuts, but I am proud to say that I have overcome it and now I can finally embrace the "short" run!

@katharmonic - I can totally relate. I have definitely had those days too. At least you were still able to get in a run. Nice going!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 the few times I've used an indoor track I had troubles as well. The track I used was 1/7th mile. What I finally did was run 7 full laps, compare it to my Garmin, then used that factor to adjust the total at the end. Let's say I ran 7 full laps and my garmin read 0.9 miles. At the end I divided the distance my Garmin read by 0.9 and used that as my total.

@MNLittleFinn I'm also volunteering at the 1/4 aid station from 3pm to 10pm the day before my race, so I'll likely see you there a couple of times.