How much are you willing to spend on temporary pants?

Options

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    No more than $15 if I can help it. So glad summers coming up, and I don't care much what I wear then, lol.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Costco.....

I don't fit into Costco clothes yet :s
  • chris5602
    chris5602 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I paid way too much. I’m tall and need a 36 inseam. I can only get them in a handful of stores so used wasn’t an option. It sucks cause your losing weight but you have to stilll wear your old pants that are literally falling off. I invested in a couple during the weight loss which are now too big. At least its incentive to keep it off.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    all my work pants are way to big, im just wearing a belt for the time being
  • Alice_in_VVonderland
    Alice_in_VVonderland Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I got a really nice pair of black jeans at Walmart for about $8.

You can always resell them to someone for a few bucks. I'm kinda surprised there's not like a clothing exchange/resell thread around here.
  • DifferentView
    DifferentView Posts: 17,416 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. All my clothes are too big but I can rig something up with my jeans, belts, pins, etc. Work pants are a different story. I need to buy some new ones and I'm really cheap.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I guess I've never thought that before. Last time I bought my current size pants I thought it would be temporary (and that was a long time ago). They were $200, but I wear them a lot and they feel great.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    whathapnd wrote: »
    $15 for jeans at TJ Maxx. I'm also pear-shaped and hard to fit. Have to wear a belt with the cheap ones versus spending more for temporary ones in "curvy cut" at Talbots that are my shape. Not a bad trade-off.

Someone once gave advice that if you live in a small town and know you'll need to change sizes several times while losing to check out consignment stores in the closest large city for more/better options.

All of this!! I was hoping someone suggested the off price stores like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, Burlington & the like. I find those to be a goldmine for cheapo pants when you aren't super focused on quality but want a good fit.

I am in maintenance now and shop everywhere but I still hit up TJ Maxx first for pants because it's nice to try on like 12 different brands/cuts and find something great for $7 to $24. When I was actively losing I didn't like to spend over $15 on pants/jeans if I could help it.

I do love thrift stores, and understand mileage can vary a LOT depending on what your area is like. My (mid sized) city has great thrift stores all over the place but I've visited places where the selection was grim.

• seltzermint555
    Options
    I honestly have not taken a good look at Walmart. I will definitely do that too. Maybe Superstore too.

The black pants I wore to work yesterday are starting to feel and look a bit sloppy. They are black jeans really, but they are diguised as work pants. I am so sneaky. Someone is bound to tell me to stop wearing them soon. I have given my closer coworkers full authority to tell me this because I am so used of clothes feeling kinda ugly on me. I had not noticed one pair looked so awful and she said "Those pants are way too big on you and very unflattering. Get some new ones."

Another coworker said the same type of thing and we agreed to go thrift shopping together that night. We had no luck but I ended up getting one of the half price pair that night. When I tried them on I thought they were kind of tight looking. But she said they looked waaaay better on me than what I had been wearing. She said they fit so nice. So did the sales girl.

Perhaps when you unconsciously try to hide your body and it's flaws for years it's hard to see how clothes really should be fitting.

I have definitely been there! About four years ago when I was in the final stages of a major loss, I felt like this happened to me every month or two...close friends were telling me "don't wear that dress again, seriously" and they are the type of friends who are never malicious or catty, they were being kind to me!

It sounds like you're probably right about how you unconsciously tried to hide your body for so long. I don't know your high/low but I also think for some people (myself included) it's a bit weird when you wore a size for years, like I wore size 20 from the weight of about 225 to 260...and then when you get a lot smaller, 5 lb can make the difference between wearing a 14 and a 12. It is hard to adapt!

Congrats on these "good problems to have" though!! Don't be afraid to grab like 4 sizes to try on. You will probably be surprised a lot in the coming weeks and months.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    A. I wear a lot of skirts. They're easier to fit into at various weights.

B. I pick up pants once in a while at the OP shops for less than $10 ... often less than $5.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I just wore a belt for a while and looked ridiculous. I didn't care because I knew I was not going to stop there with the weight loss. Some work friends told me I looked like I .....my pants because they were sagging so bad. I still didn't care. I wasn't done losing weight. I did finally buy some at one size and got so annoyed because I only got about 3 weeks out of them.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I honestly have not taken a good look at Walmart. I will definitely do that too. Maybe Superstore too.

The black pants I wore to work yesterday are starting to feel and look a bit sloppy. They are black jeans really, but they are diguised as work pants. I am so sneaky. Someone is bound to tell me to stop wearing them soon. I have given my closer coworkers full authority to tell me this because I am so used of clothes feeling kinda ugly on me. I had not noticed one pair looked so awful and she said "Those pants are way too big on you and very unflattering. Get some new ones."

Another coworker said the same type of thing and we agreed to go thrift shopping together that night. We had no luck but I ended up getting one of the half price pair that night. When I tried them on I thought they were kind of tight looking. But she said they looked waaaay better on me than what I had been wearing. She said they fit so nice. So did the sales girl.

Perhaps when you unconsciously try to hide your body and it's flaws for years it's hard to see how clothes really should be fitting.

I have definitely been there! About four years ago when I was in the final stages of a major loss, I felt like this happened to me every month or two...close friends were telling me "don't wear that dress again, seriously" and they are the type of friends who are never malicious or catty, they were being kind to me!

It sounds like you're probably right about how you unconsciously tried to hide your body for so long. I don't know your high/low but I also think for some people (myself included) it's a bit weird when you wore a size for years, like I wore size 20 from the weight of about 225 to 260...and then when you get a lot smaller, 5 lb can make the difference between wearing a 14 and a 12. It is hard to adapt!

Congrats on these "good problems to have" though!! Don't be afraid to grab like 4 sizes to try on. You will probably be surprised a lot in the coming weeks and months.

Thanks! I started at 219 and am at 182 now so my pants were about size 16 (but kind of tight) and 18 comfortably. My newest jeans are 32 short whatever size difference that is. Size numbers are so silly and vary so much brand to brand.

A bought some goal jeans (size 12) at a thrift store 3 1/2 weeks ago. I can already get them on and done up but it certainly is not pretty! So yes I agree about the surprises. I now know that they are not really the right cut for me but hey I will parade my butt around in them once I can.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I just wore a belt for a while and looked ridiculous. I didn't care because I knew I was not going to stop there with the weight loss. Some work friends told me I looked like I .....my pants because they were sagging so bad. I still didn't care. I wasn't done losing weight. I did finally buy some at one size and got so annoyed because I only got about 3 weeks out of them.

Your post really was very funny. Thanks for the laugh.
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    10-15 dollars
  • NHDaisy2
    NHDaisy2 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I also buy most of my clothes at thrift stores. But, they can be hit or miss. I visit them often. Sometimes you find lots of things and sometimes you walk out empty handed.
  • seltzermint555
    Options

Thanks! I started at 219 and am at 182 now so my pants were about size 16 (but kind of tight) and 18 comfortably. My newest jeans are 32 short whatever size difference that is. Size numbers are so silly and vary so much brand to brand.

A bought some goal jeans (size 12) at a thrift store 3 1/2 weeks ago. I can already get them on and done up but it certainly is not pretty! So yes I agree about the surprises. I now know that they are not really the right cut for me but hey I will parade my butt around in them once I can.

I'm glad you bought those goal jeans at a thrift store. I say this because I had SEVERAL disappointments with goal items like that! I bought this denim dress that was non-stretchy and super cute on, but didn't fit across my hips and belly very well...just very snug. I think it was a size 16, and I was wearing 18 and 16 so I figured soon it would look fabulous. After losing a bit more weight, it did fit my hips and belly fine but it looked HIDEOUS on my upper body and saggy on the bum. It was such a shock and I was very happy I only spent $4 on that dress since it was donated back to the thrift shop.

• yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Wal-Mart, Target, Ross, DD's economical enough while losing weight.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of jeans today at Kohls (marked down from $50 to $35 with 30% off).

I did have to try on 12 pairs before I found 1 that looked/felt fine.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite pants are the Bettona Classic style by Athleta. I'm a pear shape and they fit me nicely. They also have pockets, which is nice for a yoga type pant.

They look dressy enough to wear to work or a nice event but are made of stretchy yoga pant material. I wear them for everything including workouts. Since they're like yoga pants they will fit you through a couple of sizes so are worth the investment. I'm in a medium size now, but I still have some in large that I wear and they still look nice. They also come in petite length.

I got them on Ebay for around $30 and they're worth every penny. They are a bit more spendy at the store or through their website. Love them!

4xxox9mrae3a.jpg
  • MalloryGRN
    MalloryGRN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started shopping online at Zulily. They have new items every day, always on sale. I just bought a pair of $70 jeans for $20 and they fit so nice. I always have trouble finding jeans in stores and call me cheap, but I certainly wouldn’t pay $70 for them. I’ve ordered shirts and dresses off the site too. Worth looking into.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!