I guess "Whole" Foods does not mean "healthy"...

1235»

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I'd love to see the size, density and fat content of this muffin. For those calories it would want to be a biggin' and be filling!

Not as big as a CostCo muffin but heavier in weight than one. It's smaller in circumference, but higher in height. I'd say probably double the size of a Starbucks muffin. I find the texture of the vegan muffins to be very strange, almost like an English Muffin type texture which I think adds to the density/chewiness factor.

700 calories definitely does not surprise if it's double the size of Starbucks -- the Starbucks blueberry muffin is 370 calories, I think?
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Muffins are calorie bombs. People go to Dunkin Donuts and think they're being "healthy" by getting a muffin instead of a donut. Eat the donut.

At Tim Hortons, most donuts are around 250 calories while muffins are around 500 calories.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Oil !!!!!! .... I had my muffin realisation when I made muffins at home and pouring the oil into the mix it dawned on me

(1) ah this is why they are so moist
    (2) ah this is why each small one is 400kcal

Now I make carrot and yogurt cakes ... equally as moist but about half the calories per serving

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I found a mini muffin recipe that works well...
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Oh yeah no totally, speaking personally califlower crust sounds like something Satan himself cooked up.

It's actually quite good if you make it right, but you tend to have to use plenty of cheese and eggs as a binder. I don't consider it a substitute for real crust. It's more a different food altogether, the same way that I don't consider eggplant parm as a substitute for chicken parm. It's a completely different item that I like just the same.

The only real benefit to cauliflower crust over regular crust is the gluten-free aspect.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    karl317 wrote: »
    Whole Foods is owned by Amazon now, right?

Maybe I should ask Alexa why my avocado cost $22.

Have you been recently? Avocados are one of the items that got a major price cut once Amazon announced their purchase of Whole Foods. The price is pretty competitive now.
  • janejellyroll
    Alright so here’s the thing-
    Just because it’s ‘vegan’ doesn’t mean it’s healthy. I’m a firm believer of macros and not labels.
    Whole Foods does have strict rules on what they allowed to be sold in stores. Rules apply to the sourcing and the quality of ingredients used. I know this because I work at Whole Foods.

However the amount of sugar and unneeded supplements that pass by me at the register astounds me. People need to do their research and find what matches their body best instead of falling for marketing labels such as ‘vegan’ ‘vegetarian’ and ‘paleo’.

I’m trying to be ‘keto’ but I’m not going to pound my coffee we loads of butter to get to the required fat percentage. I will however use organic coconut oil in cooking to get healthy fats. But this is for my personal diet.

Whole Foods has a fair number of vegan customers. In this case, "vegan" is probably meant to let them know the product has no animal products, not as a marketing label.
  • collectingblues

Have you been recently? Avocados are one of the items that got a major price cut once Amazon announced their purchase of Whole Foods. The price is pretty competitive now.

Yup -- their avocados, lemons, and limes are significantly cheaper than my local chain.

As are their organic products, grass-fed beef, wild-caught seafood, etc.

I feel like most of the people who complain about Whole Foods' prices don't actually, you know, shop there.
  • janejellyroll

Yup -- their avocados, lemons, and limes are significantly cheaper than my local chain.

As are their organic products, grass-fed beef, wild-caught seafood, etc.

I feel like most of the people who complain about Whole Foods' prices don't actually, you know, shop there.

Yeah, I'm not going to dispute they have some pricey items. But if you are thoughtful about what you pick out, you can get good stuff relatively cheaply.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    We are getting our first Whole Foods this spring. I am definitely going to check it out but honestly, I'm not sure why they are putting one here. I live in an area with phenomenal farmer's markets and local produce. Does anyone know if Whole Foods is a chain who uses local produce? Other local chains in the area do buy local produce and sell it alongside the produce from greenhouses and farther destinations. Just curious. I love when chains do this--a very smart business practice!
  • janejellyroll
    We are getting our first Whole Foods this spring. I am definitely going to check it out but honestly, I'm not sure why they are putting one here. I live in an area with phenomenal farmer's markets and local produce. Does anyone know if Whole Foods is a chain who uses local produce? Other local chains in the area do buy local produce and sell it alongside the produce from greenhouses and farther destinations. Just curious. I love when chains do this--a very smart business practice!

Yes, Whole Foods does make an effort to purchase local produce and it is highlighted with signage in their stores. They also carry a reasonable amount of other local products (mine, for example, has hot sauces, dips, breads, and coffee that is all local).
  • collectingblues

Yes, Whole Foods does make an effort to purchase local produce and it is highlighted with signage in their stores. They also carry a reasonable amount of other local products (mine, for example, has hot sauces, dips, breads, and coffee that is all local).

Mine even has local mushrooms!
  • janejellyroll

Mine even has local mushrooms!

That is so cool!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    I think this is just a lesson in you have to look before you eat. I just looked at my local grocery store (Hannafords), and it is 230 calories for a chocolate chip muffin from the bakery. To be honest, I think 230 seems low, but I know it's not 700!

Don't beat yourself up, and, now you know.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    I love that they are selling local produce (and other goods). I'll definitely stop by now! I'm sure it will be absolutely MOBBED for the first few weeks after they open so I'll saunter over after the crowds die down.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am pretty sure their business model is very similar to the fitness clubs.

A good number pay a premium for good intentions while the regulars know how to get the deals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I'd love to see the size, density and fat content of this muffin. For those calories it would want to be a biggin' and be filling!

Not as big as a CostCo muffin but heavier in weight than one. It's smaller in circumference, but higher in height. I'd say probably double the size of a Starbucks muffin. I find the texture of the vegan muffins to be very strange, almost like an English Muffin type texture which I think adds to the density/chewiness factor.

I'm going to try to remember to look for this muffin when I go to WF Wed and see if I can get the weight.

Just made muffins yesterday:
    • Corn - 2.25 oz, 166 calories
    • Cranberry, orange, pumpkin walnut - 2.75 oz, 216 calories

Also:
    • Chocolate Crinkle Cookies - 1.75 oz, 228 calories