How to look less approachable at the gym?

Options

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I just tell people I need to get back to work when I’m done chatting or don’t want to talk at all. No one has ever seemed offended by it.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    Have you tried wearing something that would potentially cause people to avoid you? I'm not talking about silly novelty t-shirts either.
    I think you need a better outfit to insure that you are left alone!
    I recommend wearing a mixture of different Halloween costumes. Example- Batman ears, Superman cape, clown shoes, belly dancer crop top, 50s style skirt with Petty coat underneath.
    Just go into your Halloween box and throw a gym uniform together.

If that doesn't work, just say these magical words and I can personally guarantee that nobody will talk to you again. Plus you don't need to be rude or assertive when saying it-

"Hello I'm on a keto diet . I think keto cures all these ailments magically and want to share my low carb tips with you! I also sell multi level marketing products to help me reach my goals, could I have your phone number to reach you about these multi level marketing items. Have you tried these shakes and pills and wraps? "

I guarantee nobody will ever talk to you again.

Lol but... I have made a swim buddy at my ymca pool. We started our plans at the same time as a resoulution. She does KETO and I do the "AVOID KETOSIS" aporoach.

We each respect each other's choices. It is interesting to watch and compare our weight loss progress and swimming progress.

It is possible though to be a odd couple and still be friends. We support each other and learn from each other.

I still found this post funny though. Lol
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have friends at my gym. I also have days when I don't talk to them. At this point they can tell if it's a day when I want to chat and a day when I don't. I put a hat on, headphones, and give a fist bump or a wave and keep walking.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I wear really obnoxious political tees, blast my headphones, and maintain a constant RBF. Works like a charm.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I had someone at my gym tell me once that I need to “learn how to smile.” I honestly was so into whatever I was doing that I didn’t even notice him until he said something. I do try to give “the nod” to someone if we make eye contact, but that is about the extent of my interaction. Just put in the headphones and say, “Sorry, can’t talk now,” and keep it moving!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I have never had anyone talk to me or approach me. I have headphones in and do my own thing and don't make eye contact lol.
  • saymyname2
    saymyname2 Posts: 842 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Sam29a wrote: »
    I recently re-joined the gym and although I'm glad when I go, I find myself constantly trying to get away from people that just want to chat. I've tried to make sure I'm not using a machine near other people, I avoid eye-contact, I've tried looking really moody, I've tried putting my headphones on (with no music as it gives me a headache), but maybe I just have a really friendly gym, nothing works.

I'm probably coming across really mean, but I have limited time when I go to workout, I'm usually clock-watching the whole time I'm there and have to rush to fit everything in. I'm also very socially awkward, always have been, so I hate the thought of other people listening in to my conversations, I never really know what to say, over-think things after and cringe about it.

What is the best way to deal with this? I don't want to be rude and ignore people, but at the same time, I'd really rather not chat. Especially when I'm all sweaty and gross.

maefh273utcp.png

Buy this
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I find not wearing matching crop sweaters and tights helps. Also say no to pink Beats. Should do it!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I don't mind speaking to people in the gym; the regulars I see all the time are like my second family I'm there so often. I especially like to chat the noobies; a smile and a few words at the drinking fountain go a long way. I was super intimidated the first time I went to the gym and I'm glad someone had the decency to chat me; something so small made a huge difference to me.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I've been hitting mine for a full year now 5-6 days a week and I think outside of the manager I've spoken to people 3-4 times total, and just little stuff that was over real fast. I definitely have RBF though, which probably contributes. If people talk to me, therefore, I'm nice to them.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Bring a significant other with you! Had a lady kept on talking to me at the gym. She was so over the bounds of gym etiquette it wasn't funny. I felt sorry for her the first time -- you could tell she was just one of those lonely people but after a few times it was crazy! I wouldn't give eye contact, I would have headphones in, I literally would see her mouth moving and walk the other direction. My son worked out with me for a while and witnessed all this and found it incredibly funny -- funny enough to tell me wife that this woman would not leave me alone.

Then, one day on the weekend (as I'm doing sprints on the rower -- not exactly an opening for a conversation), this woman stood behind me in the mirror and was trying to say "hi". My wife introduced herself to her! I thought I was going to dodo my pants! You don't mess with my wife!

Funny thing is, then this woman tried to be HER best friend but at least she wasn't talking to me any longer!!! Success!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm really stunned that you have this problem. No one ever wants to approach me at the gym....lol. Like, I am heads down doing my thing, looking gross and trying to get it down and get out. I never see people socializing at all.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Hi Sam! I can appreciate where you're coming from- I don't mind a little small talk every now and then, but it's not a good time for a full-on conversation. Sure time is precious, but the gym is also my much-needed "me time" where I vent my frustrations of the day and recharge. There's nothing wrong with saying something like "I'm sorry, but I have to complete this workout and have limited time to do so" or "I don't mean to be rude, but I have to concentrate right now", etc. You're there for you, not them.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I find not wearing matching crop sweaters and tights helps. Also say no to pink Beats. Should do it!

I think Pink beats, a crop top and tights might work for a dude :)
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Remember YOU are NOT there to provide chit chat.

If someone tried to engage, say "I need to focus on my workout and can't talk" and then ignore them. No apology, no 'sorry' because you are not doing anything wrong.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

But then they would be all sweaty for going out Friday night........
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

But then they would be all sweaty for going out Friday night........

Is that a bad thing? ;)

Cue Macklemore and Thriftshop.
  • bedwellchris
    bedwellchris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    No eye contact works for me.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Nobody ever talks to me at the gym, what am I doing wrong? Could it be that at 58 with graying hair and 30 pounds to lose that I am not as attractive as I think I am? Lol.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I've got limited time, and I'm here, to work out, not chat, so have a great day