Victoria's Secret Models: Sexy or too skinny?

Options

Replies

• wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    As soon as one admits that the photos are significantly 'Shopped, then, in some sense, they (the photos) don't even matter. Almost anyone can be made to look super sexy by someone who is good enough at Photoshop . . .

Agreed. Why argue over whether a person who doesn't even exist in real life is attractive or not? We all have our own concept of what is attractive, but I find it sad that our ideas have been so shaped by these artifactual and idealized images.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options

I don't understand how it makes them fake. The photoshopped pics yes, but the tools they use to get photo ready do not, all of the sudden, turn them into fake people. Guess I just don't understand the connection you made in your original opinion.

When they photoshop the models, they reposition eyes and mouths, they resize breasts and waists. So at what point do the images become fake, when they swap heads?

I agree the photos are fake and said so. My question is how the women them selves are fake? You stated in your post that dehydration made them fake and I don't see the connection. Maybe I am just dense. *shrug*
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't care for VS lingerie, and I don't have an opinion on their models. I do think that the Photoshopping has gotten out of hand. I think of their models as pictures, not people, because of that. I would like to see an occasional flaw, an A cup breast, a slightly wide rib cage, a straight figure instead of a curvy one, something that makes a person look less perfect, more interesting, and more individual. I'm sure that the models themselves have slight flaws, in person, that would make them more interesting than their pictures.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I don't care for VS lingerie, and I don't have an opinion on their models. I do think that the Photoshopping has gotten out of hand. I think of their models as pictures, not people, because of that. I would like to see an occasional flaw, an A cup breast, a slightly wide rib cage, a straight figure instead of a curvy one, something that makes a person look less perfect, more interesting, and more individual.

those are called fashion and/or runway models.
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    To certain people they might be considered sexy but they are not my idea of sexy. I usually find darker skin on women to be sexier, I also think athletic women are sexy ----maybe because I can relate to those traits. To each it's own and what's sexy to one might not to be sexy to another; ----a little of topic but I think georges st. Pierre is the sexiest, most handsome, hottest guy on the planet---again others might not agree but in my eyes he is the hottest guy I have ever seen and his sex appeal is off the charts. As far as women, I think mma fighter meisha Tate and actress tika sumpter fit my idea of sexy
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't care for VS lingerie, and I don't have an opinion on their models. I do think that the Photoshopping has gotten out of hand. I think of their models as pictures, not people, because of that. I would like to see an occasional flaw, an A cup breast, a slightly wide rib cage, a straight figure instead of a curvy one, something that makes a person look less perfect, more interesting, and more individual.

those are called fashion and/or runway models.

I just wish they had some visual individuality, not that they were skinnier, fleshier, taller, or anything aimed at any homogenous look. Different skin tones and unique facial characteristics would do help too.
  • denimandroses
    Options
    The VS models that model their sexier lines are stunning, and not too skinny.

I DO have a problem with their PINK models though ... not that they're too skinny, but word got out that they were using 14-year-olds in those ads. Why not find pretty, slender, and fit 18-year-olds?

This^^^^ :)
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    As soon as one admits that the photos are significantly 'Shopped, then, in some sense, they (the photos) don't even matter. Almost anyone can be made to look super sexy by someone who is good enough at Photoshop . . .

That being said, I have seen a few in real life, and they are almost uniformly (there was one exception) way too skinny, at least for me. I personally like women to look like women, not 10 year old boys . . .

no one has ever confused a victoria's secret model with a 10 year old boy. the fact that you connect the two is quite disturbing.

If that analogy is too difficult for you, let me simplify it; they were super, super skinny, with barely enough substance to keep their clothes in place. It was so bad that I would guess that they were likely using illegal substances.

yeah sorry i guess ill never get it. ive never looked at an adult female(or any female for that matter) and thought of a 10 year old boy. kind of sick imo.

Actually, I believe that what you are doing is usually referred to as "projection" . . .
  • Frostbitten007
    Frostbitten007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think they are sexy. I wish I looked that good in a bra and panties. She looks fit not skinny. I'm not one to judge another woman's body though :)
  • ashliejones13
    Options
    They are gorgeous. I don't understand why it matters to you though. Are you looking to justify your own size by saying they are "too skinny". Come on now, they are fit. Change your body for YOU, not anyone else. Do YOU think they're too skinny? Then don't get that skinny. As for the photoshopping, I've seen many photos of them on tumblr, ones that are just taken by a cell phone. Trust me, they're slim and fit with or without the photoshop. Stop kidding yourselves.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

That being said, I have seen a few in real life, and they are almost uniformly (there was one exception) way too skinny, at least for me. I personally like women to look like women, not 10 year old boys . . .

no one has ever confused a victoria's secret model with a 10 year old boy. the fact that you connect the two is quite disturbing.

If that analogy is too difficult for you, let me simplify it; they were super, super skinny, with barely enough substance to keep their clothes in place. It was so bad that I would guess that they were likely using illegal substances.

yeah sorry i guess ill never get it. ive never looked at an adult female(or any female for that matter) and thought of a 10 year old boy. kind of sick imo.

Actually, I believe that what you are doing is usually referred to as "projection" . . .

u can try to wiggle your way out of it but you are the one bringing up 10 year old boys and seeing them in women.
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think she looks fantastic. Ironically, I was just thinking when I was looking through their catalog the other day, they seem to be getting away from the super thin with some of the models looking a little more full. I wouldn't mind looking like this model, with a little more muscle, of course:).
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I think for the most part they're pretty sexy, but I do know they are highly photoshopped,cropped and edited in their finished photos. I think this contributes to a largely unhealthy/unrealistic standard that girls hold themselves to, which can promote poor body image and EDs.

I also personally don't think excessive tallness/height is attractive in women, just for simply tallness' sake. Most of them are towering 5'10" storks. I'd like so see more mainstream models of average women's height. JMO.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Makes me wonder how those models must feel because it's as if they're having every single flaw pointed out to them all the time. :huh:

they feel like millionaires. millionaires that work the equivalent of 2 months a year.

So why do members pick at them? They're lucky and happy. I don't see many men here picking on Derek or Dwayne. They
    make plenty of $ too.

They're models. They are literally begging people to look at their bodies. When people look at things, they form opinions about things. People find various things attractive and unattractive. It's just how it works.

Not only are they begging to be looked at, but the merchandisers are basically using them to tell is how they think we should/would look in their clothing, but not even the models themselves live up to that standard, hence photoshopping. . That will also generate a response.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    The VS models that model their sexier lines are stunning, and not too skinny.

I DO have a problem with their PINK models though ... not that they're too skinny, but word got out that they were using 14-year-olds in those ads. Why not find pretty, slender, and fit 18-year-olds?

This^^^^ :)

ummm... they're targeting teens with the PINK line.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

I'm quite slim. 10 year old? noooooooo... lol.

u can try to wiggle your way out of it but you are the one bringing up 10 year old boys and seeing them in women.

I'm quite slim. 10 year old? noooooooo... lol.
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options

I agree the photos are fake and said so. My question is how the women them selves are fake? You stated in your post that dehydration made them fake and I don't see the connection. Maybe I am just dense. *shrug*

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that dehydration made them fake. I meant that the practice isn't healthy and gives an appearance that isn't attractive to me or maintainable.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that the models themselves have slight flaws, in person, that would make them more interesting than their pictures.
    But that would be counterproductive to the goal -- they're supposed to look flawless, so when we are looking at them we feel more flawed and self conscious ourselves. But hey, there's a quick fix for that -- we can buy the product they're selling and get a bit closer to the ideal.

Ugh. That's why one of my dirty pleasure is browsing celebrities without make up. Not to pick on them, but to see that they're people like me, with wrinkles and imperfections. Human.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I think they look fine. I personally prefer the Fredericks of Hollywood models and products but that's me.
  • brixtonbanner
    brixtonbanner Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    To answer the original question sexy or skinny - neither
    The models are thank goodness not as anorexic as models used to be but Sexy?
    They are teenagers!
    Sure they are pretty but Sexy? no way. in my humble opinion only grown women can do sexy.