Opinions on the keto diet??

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I get it that perhaps you have some emotion need to slam Keto and hopefully you will start using more science.
    ^ This is absolutely hilarious.

Lol! Gotta agree!! :D
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My question, to folks who continue to insist that Keto is the healthiest way of eating, was: If High fat/low carb is the best WOE, how do you explain the Blue Zones?

keto = a real case of carbophobia. Irrational but trendy phobia of carbs.

b2ap3_medium_carbophobia.jpg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    And to me, this is the problem. All of the keto threads I see eventually end up with "Keto is better because otherwise you are eating nothing but junk carbs and chemicals" and/or "Yes, it all comes down to CICO but keto has other benefits that other WOEs don't". Either of these statements could be true for specific individuals, but not for all. And I'll add the purported health benefits of keto, which I've seen some vague IRL evidence of but not in controlled settings where you can be sure other variables weren't involved, are still being investigated. They are often put forward as facts that anyone in the know is aware of, which is a bit irresponsible IMHO.

And in one of these threads, JUST ONE, I would like for someone to explain to me why keto is all of a sudden the right way for humans to eat, when all of the Blue Zones and other less dramatic but still long-lived and healthy areas of the world eat a higher carb diet of grains, veggies, fruits, and beans with small amounts of fish, meat, nuts, and oil.

While keto has been around for many thousands of years ask yourself why to the Blue Zones not eat processed carbs with added chemicals.

Blue Zones do not live on processed foods containing added sugar and other chemicals. In fact most blue zones have not historically even had access to SAD (Standard American Diet) that is available in the USA today.

I see using the term Blue Zones to support the eating of high carbs in the USA as an integrity fail.

Blue zones also dont consume loads of saturated fats and processed fats like pork rinds, sausage and chicken wings.

So whats your point.

What you just quoted above is my point. Below is more on Blue Zones. What we know is Blue Zones do not live on high carb/fat processed foods that is so common to the posters on MFP.

https://huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/10/23/the-blue-zones-diet-can-help-you-live-longer-and-be-healthier_a_21588550/

Don’t you eat at McDonald’s every morning?

Seldom do I eat breakfast at McDonald's because I start the day with about a 1000-1200 calorie breakfast at home. Yesterday I did eat lunch and supper at McDonald's of their Keto WOE options.

Do you have a personal problem with where people choose to eat Keto/LCHF?

McDonald's is just like Kroger's (USA at least). You can select the WOE you wish.

You eat a lot of saturated fat and processed meat while knocking the blue zones diet. I thought it odd.

Why would you make a fake post like this? Only a fool would knock a blue zone WOE that has been working well for the persons for 100+ years of their lives.

So if you acknowledge that blue zone diets, which are high in carbs but low in saturated fats, are very healthy, then why talk about the superiority of ketogenic diets, why talk about how unhealthy carbs are, how those carbs were killing you? Why not try eating a blue zone diet, with the longevity and health benefits that often result from that lifestyle, since longevity is something that you’ve often discussed as something you’re striving for, living to be 110.

I am only 67 currently and trying to reverse damage I took after 40 years of eating highly processed food high in sugar and fat. I am using Keto to do that and find out why the carbs were leading me to binging on processed foods like I use to eat.

Preventing cancer, stoke, dementia, heart attack, type 2 diabetes, etc from past highly processed foods have put me at risk of experiencing.

Clearly a lifestyle of not cursing, drinking alcohol and doing drugs plus no highly processed carbs/fats like the Blue Zone in CA is awesome but I have not seen research on how it can lower the risks of the above health issues the way Keto/LCHF studies. If a person with a compromised heart can increase its efficiency by 25% by burning fat based foods vs carb based foods then where would be the gain for that person to eat the Blue Zone WOE?

Does generations of people who live to be over 100 and active not count as evidence? Do you have examples of groups of people who have eaten LCHF for an entire lifetime and lived to be over 100?

Studies that show switching from SAD to Keto improves health do not consider any other way of eating, or the long term effects of eating Keto. I'd wager you could switch from SAD to pretty much any reasonably nutritious diet mindful of calories and portion size and reduce your risk of all sorts of disease.

Until there are generations of people who eat Keto for their lifetime and live into a healthy old age with lower risk of lifestyle diseases, I think it's irresponsible to say that Keto is proven to be a healthy WOE. It seems to be healthy short term, and seems to be sustainable for some, and if done wisely is at least an improvement over SAD. As far as I can tell, anything beyond that is still up in the air.

I'd say that any diet can be healthy or unhealthy. Being keto, just like being vegan, doesnt gaurentee health, especially if one is overweight/obese and/or inactive.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    And to me, this is the problem. All of the keto threads I see eventually end up with "Keto is better because otherwise you are eating nothing but junk carbs and chemicals" and/or "Yes, it all comes down to CICO but keto has other benefits that other WOEs don't". Either of these statements could be true for specific individuals, but not for all. And I'll add the purported health benefits of keto, which I've seen some vague IRL evidence of but not in controlled settings where you can be sure other variables weren't involved, are still being investigated. They are often put forward as facts that anyone in the know is aware of, which is a bit irresponsible IMHO.

And in one of these threads, JUST ONE, I would like for someone to explain to me why keto is all of a sudden the right way for humans to eat, when all of the Blue Zones and other less dramatic but still long-lived and healthy areas of the world eat a higher carb diet of grains, veggies, fruits, and beans with small amounts of fish, meat, nuts, and oil.

While keto has been around for many thousands of years ask yourself why to the Blue Zones not eat processed carbs with added chemicals.

Blue Zones do not live on processed foods containing added sugar and other chemicals. In fact most blue zones have not historically even had access to SAD (Standard American Diet) that is available in the USA today.

I see using the term Blue Zones to support the eating of high carbs in the USA as an integrity fail.

Blue zones also dont consume loads of saturated fats and processed fats like pork rinds, sausage and chicken wings.

So whats your point.

What you just quoted above is my point. Below is more on Blue Zones. What we know is Blue Zones do not live on high carb/fat processed foods that is so common to the posters on MFP.

https://huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/10/23/the-blue-zones-diet-can-help-you-live-longer-and-be-healthier_a_21588550/

Seldom do I eat breakfast at McDonald's because I start the day with about a 1000-1200 calorie breakfast at home. Yesterday I did eat lunch and supper at McDonald's of their Keto WOE options.

McDonald's is just like Kroger's (USA at least). You can select the WOE you wish.

You eat a lot of saturated fat and processed meat while knocking the blue zones diet. I thought it odd.

Why would you make a fake post like this? Only a fool would knock a blue zone WOE that has been working well for the persons for 100+ years of their lives.

So if you acknowledge that blue zone diets, which are high in carbs but low in saturated fats, are very healthy, then why talk about the superiority of ketogenic diets, why talk about how unhealthy carbs are, how those carbs were killing you? Why not try eating a blue zone diet, with the longevity and health benefits that often result from that lifestyle, since longevity is something that you’ve often discussed as something you’re striving for, living to be 110.

I am only 67 currently and trying to reverse damage I took after 40 years of eating highly processed food high in sugar and fat. I am using Keto to do that and find out why the carbs were leading me to binging on processed foods like I use to eat.

Preventing cancer, stoke, dementia, heart attack, type 2 diabetes, etc from past highly processed foods have put me at risk of experiencing.

Clearly a lifestyle of not cursing, drinking alcohol and doing drugs plus no highly processed carbs/fats like the Blue Zone in CA is awesome but I have not seen research on how it can lower the risks of the above health issues the way Keto/LCHF studies. If a person with a compromised heart can increase its efficiency by 25% by burning fat based foods vs carb based foods then where would be the gain for that person to eat the Blue Zone WOE?

Does generations of people who live to be over 100 and active not count as evidence? Do you have examples of groups of people who have eaten LCHF for an entire lifetime and lived to be over 100?

Studies that show switching from SAD to Keto improves health do not consider any other way of eating, or the long term effects of eating Keto. I'd wager you could switch from SAD to pretty much any reasonably nutritious diet mindful of calories and portion size and reduce your risk of all sorts of disease.

Until there are generations of people who eat Keto for their lifetime and live into a healthy old age with lower risk of lifestyle diseases, I think it's irresponsible to say that Keto is proven to be a healthy WOE. It seems to be healthy short term, and seems to be sustainable for some, and if done wisely is at least an improvement over SAD. As far as I can tell, anything beyond that is still up in the air.

I'd say that any diet can be healthy or unhealthy. Being keto, just like being vegan, doesnt gaurentee health, especially if one is overweight/obese and/or inactive.

I totally agree any diet can be unhealthy, but I'm still not sure any diet can be healthy long term. But I'm an old fogey set in my ways with a lifetime of bad advice rattling around in my brain, and I can't deny that bias with a straight face :lol:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    when I worked at a nursing home one of the residents was 106 and ate what she wanted and got around pretty good for he age. she couldnt hear though she went deaf over the years(she could read lips).but when she died she was like 110, she was on no special diet at all. she still ate her meals without needing then blended up like some of the residents. she needed help cutting things up of course.cant say exactly why she was in there. could be that her son was a dr and didnt have the time? I dont know. but she loved her treats too. this was in the mid 90s.

point is she had no know health issues eating that way all her life.could be possibly that she has a normal weight and obtained it all of her life(there were many pics).
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

So whats your point.

I’d be hard pressed to think that high fat diets are healthy. I’m old though. I know my doctor wants me to eat with a lower fat intake, a more balanced approach. She said more vegetables and less fat.