Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast Food Addiction - Can Anyone Else Relate?

Options

Replies

• Derek_McC
    Derek_McC Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I relate my addiction is all carbs... I had spaghetti last night and spent the rest of the night wishing i had made more so there had been leftovers. Im still thinking about it and it makes me crazy.

Thank you. This is how I feel. Pasta with sauces of all kinds . . . Meat . . . Vegetable . . . Just butter . . . Now I suddenly feel hungry.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Not that I buy carb addiction, but possibly the perceived issue is "starchy" carbs?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Derek_McC wrote: »
    I relate my addiction is all carbs... I had spaghetti last night and spent the rest of the night wishing i had made more so there had been leftovers. Im still thinking about it and it makes me crazy.

Thank you. This is how I feel. Pasta with sauces of all kinds . . . Meat . . . Vegetable . . . Just butter . . . Now I suddenly feel hungry.

Sure, but if you have pasta with a sauce, it normally has at least fat and carbs, often fat, carbs, and protein. So if you find that super tasty and want to overeat it, I don't know why carbs would be singled out as the culprit (i.e., "my addiction is all carbs").

Personally, it's not an addiction, but sure I love pasta, with all kinds of sauces. But for me the sauce is the key, it's not something I'd eat on its own (well, no often), but I often find putting it on veg (like spaghetti sauce) is almost as tasty, and when I was a kid I'd always have a little pasta, lots of sauce (at the time people would sneer and say that was so American, in Italy it would be the other way around). Plain pasta might have been okay if nothing else I liked was available, but plain pasta or plain rice or plain potatoes or bread aren't things I will overeat (unless I'm super hungry or something). It's the tasty additions, usually fat and protein, as well as simply more vegetables, that make a pasta dish (or rice with curry or so on) something hard to stop eating. At least for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    Why is it people 'addicted to carbs' never have some unhealthy focus on squash, beets, peas, and beans. This makes me question whether the carbs are even a factor.

Yeah, if someone has a carb addiction, I recommend carrots.

Although IMO even plain potatoes are low enough cal that they are hard to overeat too much. I think people go nuts with potatoes (more often than not) when they add butter or fry them or the like.

To be fair, OP didn't introduce the carb addiction topic.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    jervin6 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It's carbs and sugar! Can it not be addictive?

1) Sugar is carbs. And all carbs are eventually metabolized into simple sugars in the body.

2) Sugar is not addictive: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28330706

3) Fast foods are often very high in fat as are a lot of "treat" or "junk" foods. Why isn't fat getting the bad rap for being evil and addictive and fattening? Oh yeah, I forgot - because the keto fad.

Addressing peer reviewed evidence #2. Have you seen this? Call me skeptical of a study based on self reporting on an online survey that asks for participants to remember and classify food intake as far back as 12 months and no questions about exercise habits. The fact the author Peter Roger's is bought and paid for by the sugar and soda industry and has come out with another research paper claiming Diet Soda could help weight loss better than water makes me question his research on sugar.

https://www.naturalhealthnews.uk/newsletter/sugar-sweeteners-and-science-for-sale/

Does low-energy sweetener consumption affect energy intake and body weight? A systematic review, including meta-analyses, of the evidence from human and animal studies
    P J Rogers et al

International Journal of Obesity volume 40, pages 381–394 (2016)
    doi:10.1038/ijo.2015.177

You didn't really just reference Natural Health News, did you? The site so full of woo and BS that it's been blacklisted by Google and won't show up in searches?

LOLOL.

https://google.com/search?q=Natural+Health+News&oq=Natural+Health+News&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Google is now aware of woo posters posting false posts about their company and have now reinstated Natural Health News.

Could you clarify your meaning of the word "woo" here? Given your last several posts on the word, I'd like to be sure I'm following your current train of thought.

Tonight just use the one posted by MFP in the past on that subject if you wish.

Thank you for clarifying. So it's good/bad, and intentionally ambiguous.
  • koda0071
    koda0071 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you would the entire paper you would see that it was verified in the author's own paper. They actually stated in "Declarations of interest

Rob Markus provide (free) consultancy services to ‘Kenniscentrum Suiker en Voeding’, The Netherlands. Peter Rogers has received funding for research from Sugar Nutrition UK, and has provided consultancy services to Coca-Cola Great Britain and received speaker's fees from the International Sweeteners Association." That how I know.