Going nuts over how to diet

Options

Replies

• EdwardMH2
    EdwardMH2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I do not drink enough water if any.... I do not like water but love eating ice, any suggestions on a ice machine that makes small edible pellets? I think I would get more than a days worth of water if I had one.
  • Jennymarie57
    Jennymarie57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes I was going to say plug the food in before you eat it. I do that every morning before breakfast to plan my daily eating to make sure it is balanced and I'm not starving at the end of the day. Also eat whole foods as much as possible, prepped at home.
  • EdwardMH2
    Options
    Ok....
    Next issue then.
    On calories burned from exercise, walking, biking, hiking, playing with the dog, Pickleball (tennis type game) etc. I know if someone weighs 200 pounds and does the same exercise as someone 180 pounds they will loose weight faster at first as they are moving more weight.
    But how accurate are the suggested calories burned on MyFitnessPal? Is there an accurate ethos to track calories burned? I have tried Fitbit, farming, and now have a gear 2 watch tracking my steps and such.
  • EdwardMH2
    Options
    jenny6157 wrote: »
    Yes I was going to say plug the food in before you eat it. I do that every morning before breakfast to plan my daily eating to make sure it is balanced and I'm not starving at the end of the day. Also eat whole foods as much as possible, prepped at home.

One MAJOR setback is that I rarely or don’t cook at home though I am slowly trying to do more breakfasts (learning to cook slowly) I eat out 90% of my meals.
  • Jennymarie57
    Jennymarie57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    yikes..I would be afraid to eat out that much:)

start small..hard boiled eggs, baked chicken breast with rice, look up some overnight oats recipes, tuna wrapped in lettuce, smoothies..maybe move to soups ,different meats, roasted veggies (those are simple), try grilling..it's fun..

EdwardMH2 wrote: »

One MAJOR setback is that I rarely or don’t cook at home though I am slowly trying to do more breakfasts (learning to cook slowly) I eat out 90% of my meals.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Ok....
    Next issue then.
    On calories burned from exercise, walking, biking, hiking, playing with the dog, Pickleball (tennis type game) etc. I know if someone weighs 200 pounds and does the same exercise as someone 180 pounds they will loose weight faster at first as they are moving more weight.
    But how accurate are the suggested calories burned on MyFitnessPal? Is there an accurate ethos to track calories burned? I have tried Fitbit, farming, and now have a gear 2 watch tracking my steps and such.

Any tool or website that tells you how many calories you burn is an estimate. As you gather more data about yourself and your rate of loss under different conditions, you can be more accurate in your estimations, but there's no real way to be 100% accurate.

It would be really beneficial to take 4-8 weeks and get into the habit of logging your food. Try to be as consistent as possible -- it really seems like you're getting paralyzed by having too many options, and you're changing your variables too frequently to get good data collection. Just pick a course of action (a calorie goal, a way of measuring your intake, and a way of measuring your activity) and stick with it as closely and consistently as you can for 4-8 weeks. After that time, assess your results and make changes as necessary.

If you use estimates from MFP for your exercise burns, a good rule of thumb is to eat back 50%-75% of your exercise calories. That'll mostly account for inaccuracies in the number MFP gives you, because it's just a general estimate of your burns (but again, it's not really much more or less accurate than other methods).
  • EdwardMH2
    Options
    That's no good. I'm sorry you're going through this much stress. Did that restaurant have nutrition information available either online or in person? I usually pre-plan when I'm eating out by checking out their nutrition info ahead of time to see what fits into my calorie goals.

No it is a local family run place I like. Might go to Walmart and just get a big $3 salad so I at least have something, I tend to toss the salads dressing and use Italian or balsamic I have at home.
  • EdwardMH2
    Options
    I tend to get some variety of this but I also tend to eat it all in one setting even though it holds 4.5 servings.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Marketside-Chef-Salad-15-5-oz/10450791
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    That's no good. I'm sorry you're going through this much stress. Did that restaurant have nutrition information available either online or in person? I usually pre-plan when I'm eating out by checking out their nutrition info ahead of time to see what fits into my calorie goals.

No it is a local family run place I like. Might go to Walmart and just get a big $3 salad so I at least have something, I tend to toss the salads dressing and use Italian or balsamic I have at home.

In that case, I usually find something close in the food database here and guess high. It won't be 100% correct but the important thing is to get close enough when you're starting out. Just start logging as best you can for now and see what happens.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options

You could just buy bagged lettuce and then whatever else you want in or on the salad if you have dressing at home. No need to buy those prepackaged ones if you're not going eat what's in them.

As far as your ice question above, I don't know if it would be worth it to buy a separate ice maker for crushed ice. Do you have an ice maker in your fridge now? If so, put a bunch of ice in a large plastic baggie. Seal and break the ice. Then you'll have smaller pieces. Or, add pieces of fruit or cucumber to your water for a nice bit of flavor.

Start reading labels on food and getting an idea of portion sizes, calorie count, macros, etc. Educate yourself. You can't believe everything you hear or read and all it's doing is making things more complicated for you. Keep it simple!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

While learning to cook is an important life skill, I only cook about half of my meals. My most common breakfast is greek yogurt (with fruit or a high fiber cereal, when appropriate). This morning I had 33g of peanut butter. For lunch, I had a baggie full of broccoli that I bought precut, with 2oz. of brie. I will likely have these little protein bars I found at CVS for a snack (Orgain organic protein), then heat some meatballs with veggies for dinner, since I will be getting home late. My evening snack is almost always nuts. I use rotiserrie chicken for protein throughout the week, usually on salads, but also with veggies, soy sauce and ginger for stir fry.

• EdwardMH2
    Options
    I know hot air popped popcorn is healthiest but to me is bland is a oil popped popcorn healthier than a bag of Movie Theater Orville Redenbacher for a late night snack? (My second Favorite next to Jolly Pop Butter)
  • EdwardMH2
    Options
    I just realized I have been in and out of diets here since 2012 and still not figuring out best healthy options.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I know hot air popped popcorn is healthiest but to me is bland is a oil popped popcorn healthier than a bag of Movie Theater Orville Redenbacher for a late night snack? (My second Favorite next to Jolly Pop Butter)

You don't have to optimize foods in order to lose weight (that is, you don't have to choose the "healthiest" option). Just make sure you're having portions that fit into your calorie goal and you'll lose weight.

This^

Don't look for the "most perfect" food while dieting, because dieting is just the first step.

I know that I won't be satisfied with hot-air popcorn forever. So instead I make my own popcorn with a teaspoon of oil. This helps the salt/chili powder/ garlic powder/ etc. stick. This is a permanent change I can live with.

Find your permanent changes....not temporary ones. If Orville Redenbacher fits your daily goals.....then why change? I'm also a PopSecret 94% Fat-Free fan.......snack size is 120 calories (for 6 cups) - Yum!