Options

Replies

• NextRightThing714
    NextRightThing714 Posts: 355 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    EdwardMH2 wrote: »
    jenny6157 wrote: »
    Yes I was going to say plug the food in before you eat it. I do that every morning before breakfast to plan my daily eating to make sure it is balanced and I'm not starving at the end of the day. Also eat whole foods as much as possible, prepped at home.

One MAJOR setback is that I rarely or don’t cook at home though I am slowly trying to do more breakfasts (learning to cook slowly) I eat out 90% of my meals.

Okay so I eat out too (a lot). It's not optimal but you can absolutely lose weight doing it. Pick something off the menu and find a match in the database. Limit your portion size.

I believe it's been said but... relax. You don't have to be perfect to lose weight and you don't have to choose the healthiest option (whatever that means). If you're going to make this thing stick, you have to start thinking long game. Are you planning to obsess over your food choices for the rest of your life? If the answer is no, then take it easy. Eat what you like, just eat less of it.

ETA: Typo.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    1. pick a method of weight loss
    2. monitor your results.
    You must like your diet...and you must lose weight doing that diet. If those two goals are met... you found your path.
  • EdwardMH2
    EdwardMH2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Ok lets use today as an example and see if you can help me understand what I am reading. And how to enter info for best results.
    Goal Calories 1,510 Food 1,378 (Only ate one meal today), Calories Burned Exercise 1,238 (based on 165 min of Pickleball) My Total steps today so far including Pickleball and I have a Service dog so I estimate 60+ min walking Dog was 11,500 steps
    (I have ONLY reported the Pickleball not walking the dog or Steps for the day)

My Home page daily summary says I have 1,370 calories remaining under this it say 1510 goal | 1378 Food - 1238 Exercise = 140 NET

What does the NET represent? The Calories remaining?

Do I report the total steps at end of day or just the activities I did?

I assume the 1,370 calories remaining are calories I COULD still eat today and still maintain my weight loss goal. Am I correct in this assumption.
  • deimosphoebos
    deimosphoebos Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Don't diet. Just log, and keep your portions under check.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Calories remaining are calories you can still eat, yes.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    EdwardMH2 wrote: »
    Ok lets use today as an example and see if you can help me understand what I am reading. And how to enter info for best results.
    Goal Calories 1,510 Food 1,378 (Only ate one meal today), Calories Burned Exercise 1,238 (based on 165 min of Pickleball) My Total steps today so far including Pickleball and I have a Service dog so I estimate 60+ min walking Dog was 11,500 steps
    (I have ONLY reported the Pickleball not walking the dog or Steps for the day)

My Home page daily summary says I have 1,370 calories remaining under this it say 1510 goal | 1378 Food - 1238 Exercise = 140 NET

What does the NET represent? The Calories remaining?

Do I report the total steps at end of day or just the activities I did?

I assume the 1,370 calories remaining are calories I COULD still eat today and still maintain my weight loss goal. Am I correct in this assumption.

Your NET calories should be close to your daily target. When they say eat less than you burn, it isn't meaning that your activity calories have to be more than you daily intake. Your body burns calories just from living.

For now, aim to eat your daily target, and then 50-75% of your exercise calories. The reason for not eating them all is that MFP in particular, but also some activity trackers will overestimate your calories burned, so leave some of them on the table.

Over time, you can use your real life results to determine if you should increase or decrease your consumption of burned calories. If you are losing faster than you expect (except the first two weeks), then increase your calories. If you are losing slower than you expect, then decrease your calories.

Remember that faster loss, although it sounds good, can lead to more muscle loss than you would like. Aim for a safe loss per week (about 1% of your body weight). So it should be slowing down as you get closer to goal.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,888 Member
    Options
    What is your gender and current weight, height, age? What is your current goal weight if known? You seem to be putting up some pretty large deficits. How often do you play pickleball? is that singles? doubles? How competitive are your games? Do you track using an MFP exercise entry or using a fitness band?
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You mention that it is really hard to stick with a diet plan for too long. That is pretty much universally true. Most diet plans are either too restrictive or simply don't fit individual lifestyles well enough to be sustainable. So before you fight with this new low carb option, I have some suggestions to make things easier.
    Break things down into individual behaviors and habits. Instead of looking at this as an all at once, or all or nothing proposition, find ways to break things down into smaller and more sustainable habits. That makes it much easier to pinpoint where something is not working, and fix it, rather than staring at the whole jumbled mess of NOT WORKING. Plus, when you do backslide, you are less likely to drop everything, just one or two habits, that can then be fixed again. Otherwise, trying to everything at once, means that you are likely to leave out something important (like weighing food), and pay excessive attention to things that aren't. (Like fiber drinks, juice cleanses and apple cider vinegar)
    Don't demonize foods that don't actually make you feel bad. Obviously if you have food sensitivities avoid those things, but don't cut out all your favorite goodies because they are not "healthy". Think of your calories as a type of currency. You should purchase the nutrient rich stuff first, budget for regular treats, and don't waste any calories on stuff you hate, even if it is theoretically good for you. If you are going low carb, fine, but don't treat carbs as the Devil, just give the non carb foods a much higher priority.
    Log EVERYTHING.
    Don't JUST weigh (with a scale is best) everything you eat, also write why you are eating it (i.e, lunchtime, hungry, kind of bored, out with friends, watching tv) and how you are feeling right before, right after and an hour after (hungry, comfortable, normal, full, very full bloated, drowsy, OMG I am so damn sick of this crap I want to throw the whole plate out a window, etc).
    This gives you a baseline pattern for your normal habits and routine. From there, it's just a matter of experimenting. Are you very full after dinner? Cut back on a few things. Does lunch leave you bloated and gassy after an hour, try less or no mayo, and see if there's something you don't mind dropping each meal (fries, or cheese, or maybe only 2 tacos instead of 3).Are you starving an hour after dinner?Maybe more fats during.
    It's amazing how quickly these small and easily sustainable changes will add up to big calorie cuts. Only cut or change one or two things at a time, until they become habit instead of trying to do everything at once. That way they become individual habits instead of one big "diet".
  • EdwardMH2
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    What is your gender and current weight, height, age? What is your current goal weight if known? You seem to be putting up some pretty large deficits. How often do you play pickleball? is that singles? doubles? How competitive are your games? Do you track using an MFP exercise entry or using a fitness band?

Male, 53 years old, 212 pounds, 5'10" MY Goal weight is 180 ponds "Ideal Weight" according to internet is 165-172 pounds. I try to play at least 4 times a week for 2-4 each time. Only play Doubles I am a 3.0 player but mostly play against 3.5-4.0 level players. I use Gear2 watch for my steps, and Have made a MFP Exercise entry for Pickleball using 60 min at 450 calories burned.
  • EdwardMH2
    Options
    I think I chose Lightly active, I do a few Pickleball Tournaments a year and try to play folks better than me to prepare for those tournaments.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are overestimating the calorie burn from the pickleball.

Include your walking calories.

Eat your minimum calories including those earned from exercise.
  • daryllynn515
    daryllynn515 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was obsessing over carbs as well but had to take a step back because it was getting ridiculous. I wouldn't focus so much on carbs from fruits or veggies but more from breads, pastas, flour, etc. That being said, I make sure I put most of my focus on Protein and fiber as those are what will fill me up. Although the carbs still bother me, I at least know that when I am eating fruits and veggies, I am getting vitamins and needed nutrients that I need from those carbs vs. that of breads pastas etc.
  • EdwardMH2
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You are overestimating the calorie burn from the pickleball.

Include your walking calories.

Eat your minimum calories including those earned from exercise.

I choose 450 calories per hour as my estimation based on MFP listing for Badminton casual at 429 and competitive 667 at a weight of 210 pounds. I am not playing a slow casual game with seniors. I tend to play most of my games with 25-60 year old energetic fast moving hard hitting players. So if you know I am over estimating PLEASE give me a better calorie burn estimate as I have no clue and would rather be lower than the actual number but close.