Going nuts over how to diet

Options

Replies

• EdwardMH2
    EdwardMH2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Ok I HOPE I went in the right direction.
    I updated my Settings in MFP raising my Daily Calories from 1,510 the changes are as follows.
    Hight 5'10"
    Weight 212 (Current Weight)up from 210
    Gender Still Male :-)
    Goal weight 180 (Will still be happy with 185)
    Activity Level Active up from Lightly Active
    4 workouts a week (Number of times a week I TRY to play pickleball)
    120 min per workout Down from 180 to allow for breaks between games and waiting to go for the ball.
    Though I RARELY sit around I usually go play with the dog between games.
    Lose 1.5 pounds per week down from 2 pounds
    MFP suggested Daily Calories are now 2,130
    My Macros I think are set to 50% Protein, Carbs 20% and Fat 30%

Any suggestions?
  • EdwardMH2
    Options
    Now to start weighing and tracking what I eat more accurately.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    EdwardMH2 wrote: »
    Ok I HOPE I went in the right direction.
    I updated my Settings in MFP raising my Daily Calories from 1,510 the changes are as follows.
    Hight 5'10"
    Weight 212 (Current Weight)up from 210
    Gender Still Male :-)
    Goal weight 180 (Will still be happy with 185)
    Activity Level Active up from Lightly Active
    4 workouts a week (Number of times a week I TRY to play pickleball)
    120 min per workout Down from 180 to allow for breaks between games and waiting to go for the ball.
    Though I RARELY sit around I usually go play with the dog between games.
    Lose 1.5 pounds per week down from 2 pounds
    MFP suggested Daily Calories are now 2,130
    My Macros I think are set to 50% Protein, Carbs 20% and Fat 30%

Any suggestions?

with 30 lbs to lose I would set it at 1 lb /week. as for any of your watches that track calories most of them include your BMR in the equation. so what you burn is what you burned by being alive plus your activities/exercise. if you can post a pic of what the apps say you burned then people can probably give you a better insight as to whether it includes your BMR or if its from exercise alone.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    @EdwardMH2 The best approach is "lifestyle change", NOT "diet". No point starting something that's not sustainable.

As you've found the MFP site, just fill in your stats and follow what your profile tells you. I think you're going about it too complicated.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The intentional exercise as described (120 minutes, etc) is irrelevant to MFP and is not used in any calculations.

MFP takes it as a dogma that you will be active at the rate you selected and that you will separately log any activity you perform that was not included in your selection of activity level.

You may or may not be able to connect your samsung watch to MFP via integration. I don't have a gear 2 and have not really looked at the various settings it has. Somewhere in there it must be able to provide you with total calories for the day. usually this would be called TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).

That TDEE number is your Calories Out (CO) as an ESTIMATE based on population norms and your movement as detected by the watch.

Your Calories In (CI) is what you need to get a grip on. There exist sticky posts linked to in the first few posts in each forum section on how to accurately count calories.

Sadly nothing can exist for restaurants. People often suggest adding a tablespoon of oil to how they would cook the same food at home.

I will tell you right now that I believe my own logging to be pretty accurate, comparatively speaking. The amount of times I've recorded 1x mcdonald's vanilla cone since my first few months on MFP are very very few. Most vanilla cones range from 10% to 100% larger than a "standard" weighed cone would be. My fish and chip place seems to spit out portions of chips that are remarkably identical at around 125g each. Go figure since their fish pieces are all over the place! Usually a hamburger or chicken patty would be standardised at whatever size they claim it to be. Condiments? That's another story. A squirt from a squeeze bottle can vary wildly. Generally speaking, the simpler the food the easier to deconstruct. I tend to take pictures and log at home. But then again I avoid super frequent eating out of food that is difficult to deconstruct.

Anyway. Do start using libra for android or happy scale for iphone (or trendweight.com or weightgrapher.com on the web. Weigh yourself once a day, relatively speaking at the same time, preferably after using the bathroom and before you eat or drink anything and wearing the same clothes or none. Place your scale on an un-yielding piece of floor and make sure that you've observed any calibration procedures and that you use fresh batteries.

Record your calories in, calories out, and weight trend for at least 3 weeks (as a male, for 4-6 weeks including one monthly cycle as a female). Then compare what your weight movement should have been to what it actually was based on your weight trend and decide if a) things are heading in the right direction keep on keeping on b) if you're losing too fast or too slow whether you should eat a bit more or a bit less.

Make sure you eat sufficient protein (generally about 0.8g to 1g per lb of bodyweight within the normal weight range, and fiber (38g for men, at least 27g for women). Also make sure you eat at least 0.3g M (0.4g F) of healthy fats per lb of bodyweight within the normal weight range. And go nuts with all the rest of your calories eating what you want for health and pleasure (within the context of a healthy diet and meeting your goals). 5 to 10 bunnies a day are a good thing, and most of us don't get them! (a bunny is our very own, soon to be trade-marked, measure of 85g of fresh or frozen vegetables or fruits)
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I believe diets are useless. You don’t need a diet. The word diet is useless, you don’t need that word.

You need a lifestyle change. This isn’t going to be temporary, it’s going to be for the rest of your life. Even after you lose the weight you are going to have to maintain. It is for life.

So choose something you can stick with that will also not sink your health.
  • crita50
    crita50 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Keto is pretty restrictive. If you are looking into paleo ease into it. A lot of people have success with it. If you are trying to get your sugars down it might be a useful template. People without sugar or hormone issues are more likely to do well with CICO, but some people need a little extra help. Minimize carbs and make the carbs you do eat whole foods like squash, potatoes, fruit, beans, etc. Avoid processed grains and bread. Adjust your macros and see what works best for you.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I suspect that Edward is just using the default MFP macros of 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein and has just mis-reported the macro names.
  • EdwardMH2
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I suspect that Edward is just using the default MFP macros of 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein and has just mis-reported the macro names.

I was but swapped the Protein and carb % today.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    crita50 wrote: »
    Keto is pretty restrictive. If you are looking into paleo ease into it. A lot of people have success with it. If you are trying to get your sugars down it might be a useful template. People without sugar or hormone issues are more likely to do well with CICO, but some people need a little extra help. Minimize carbs and make the carbs you do eat whole foods like squash, potatoes, fruit, beans, etc. Avoid processed grains and bread. Adjust your macros and see what works best for you.

no matter how you eat CICO comes into play CICO it means calories in calories out. a calorie is a unit of energy so its an energy equation. if you take in more energy(calories) than you burn you will gain weight, less calories you lose and equal amounts you will maintain. minimizing carbs will have no effect on weight loss except maybe water loss along with some glycogen.but it will taper off. someone may be more satiated on less carbs and more of another macro though. but it still comes down to a calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • PAV8888
    Options

Why?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you are trying to do Keto? You only need a calorie deficit - you can eat whatever percentage of carbs you want as long as you are getting sufficient protein and fat.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Why?

I was told by someone on a Keto diet at Pickleball my carbs were way too high.

Too high for what?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    wislawcat wrote: »
    CICO is not the only answer. I was exercising 5 Xs per week eating only 1250 Cals per day so a 300-600 deficit per day and was gaining Weight on a lean protein whole grain low fat diet. Cancer drugs I am on made me carb resistant. I switched to keto Jan 1 at 20 carbs max 60g protein and the rest fat each day I kept total number of cals the same and exercise the same. I’ve lost 15 pounds in 11 weeks. If you read the literature it’s not just water loss. Once you are in ketosis you transition to burning fat stores instead of glucose stores for energy. Ketosis takes a week or so to get into but the transition to fat burning can take 4-6 weeks. A lot of people lose water weight the first two weeks then stall. But if you keep with it you eventually transition and start burning fat and losing weight. The key is not to go in and out of ketosis or you don’t transition. Read book “keto clarity” for science behind it and guidelines. By Moore and Westman M.D. from Duke University.

Sorry, but that's all woo. You burn more fat because your dietary fat intake is higher, and there is no "metabolic advantage" for a ketogenic diet over any other diet, calories held equal. "Keto Clarity" is full of junk science and cherry-picked research, it's really nothing more than thinly disguised keto propaganda.

A ketogenic diet is one possible way to lose weight, but only if your calorie intake is less than your calorie expenditure. CICO *is* the only answer, however one manages to achieve it.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I was told by someone on a Keto diet at Pickleball my carbs were way too high.

Why in the names of all the gods and little fishes are you so reluctant to do what everyone here is telling you to do and just pick something and stick with it?

Why would you rather change what you're doing every day according to what random people in the street suggest?

Do you actually want to lose weight, or are you scared to try for some reason?
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

No need to worry about Carbs being high. I am same height as you and am now a similar weight, I've lost 12 pounds in last 6-7 weeks using default macros. The only thing that I have tried to do is get a bit more protein in where possible usually at the expense of fat but I tend to hit those ratios without even trying just by eating normally.