Slow Runners Unite!

Replies

• genchiyu
    genchiyu Posts: 244 Member
    I'm a slow runner. I do use the treadmill though to train my endurance. There's this option of using a speed interval program on the treadmill.

I use 5.0mph for running and 3.5mph for jogging.

1 min jog between 2 min runs for 30 min burns around 230 calories for me.
  • bread_winner
    bread_winner Posts: 16 Member
    alc649 wrote: »
    The struggle is real though when you go to log exercise in MFP and there isn't a pace slow enough to choose from lol

I know what you mean, do you have a fitbit or an app on your phone? I use runkeeper and manually enter my calories based on what that says i burn. Is it 100% accurate? probably not but oh well

Yeah, I use a Suunto watch so I'm able to adjust the calories. But it still makes me laugh on my feed. "12 min/mi" - in my dreams!
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Oh, I walk 3.8 mph! So you're not a fast runner and at least you doing it!
  • eugarpsk8
    eugarpsk8 Posts: 1 Member
    Run for duration; my goal was to just get 20 minutes in and a year later, my goal is 45 minutes. I stopped looking at my pace which has been fun because now when I see what distance I ran, it's a total surprise!
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    I'm a slow runner too, 14-15min/mile. I'm building endurance though, and at this point that matters to me more than how fast I did it.
  • Creofan
    Creofan Posts: 11 Member
    @BootsDBA No need for embarassment, I too am a slow runner starting at your pace a few years ago. I now consistently run 11+ minute miles for 3 miles at a time 4X each week. While I'm not scorching the earth, i have managed to come a long way with persistence and discipline. Keep on going!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    BootsDBA wrote: »
    Someone please tell me you also run SUPER slowly? I'm at 3.5mph/17 minutes a mile. I'm embarrassed to say it and it keeps me on the treadmill instead of outside because if there's no scenery to pass then I can't tell, lol.

I can go for 25 minutes now, 1.5 miles, which I'm also a little embarrassed about, but mostly proud, since I couldn't do that before. I know speed will come later, but right now I'm just looking for other slow runners so I know I'm not alone. :D

Speed is relative, we all start somewhere.

As I train now I can think back to day one of C25K, when I did an out and back route. The point I turned round is now where I'll start a fast finish.

Nothing to be and of, or embarrassed about.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    I used to run fast (for me). I used to have a lot of down time from injury. I then learned to run slow by running with my wife (full spinal fusion limits her speed). I now love slow running and practice it all the time. I run 5+ miles every other day. I can't remember my last injury. Enjoy the run, the speed is only important if you think it is.
  • mommytoaiden
    mommytoaiden Posts: 75 Member
    I'm slow but it's ok. I usually complete a 5K in about 42-45 minutes. I am practicing on the treadmill with walk/run intervals and also some incline work to get used to hills. For me, I want to build stamina and endurance. I'd like to run another half marathon. I'm not concerned about how fast I go, just that I can finish strong. :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Someone please tell me you also run SUPER slowly? I'm at 3.5mph/17 minutes a mile. I'm embarrassed to say it and it keeps me on the treadmill instead of outside because if there's no scenery to pass then I can't tell, lol.

I can go for 25 minutes now, 1.5 miles, which I'm also a little embarrassed about, but mostly proud, since I couldn't do that before. I know speed will come later, but right now I'm just looking for other slow runners so I know I'm not alone. :D

You're doing so well! Nice running! Please go run outside. You'll love it.

I run on both the treadmill and outdoors; I am a slow runner. At first, it bothered me but it was only when I compared my time with others, so I stopped doing that. I run my speed and I enjoy running. That's enough for me.

A 17 minute mile is about what I run quite often, I think (approx. 8 min/Km). It's a relaxing, enjoyable speed. I really enjoy these runs because I feel worked out, energized and really good afterwards.

Keep running and enjoying it. Go outside and get used to that experience. You may find that the first few runs outdoors are slower yet. It takes a few times to get used to the terrain differences, pulling yourself forward and changes in the wind conditions.
  • mamashakesit
    mamashakesit Posts: 31 Member
    edited April 2018
    PaytraB wrote: »

Keep running and enjoying it. Go outside and get used to that experience. You may find that the first few runs outdoors are slower yet. It takes a few times to get used to the terrain differences, pulling yourself forward and changes in the wind conditions.

I'm glad I saw this thread! I was the champion of the 14 minute mile in high school. I've always LOATHED running. But after I quit smoking, drinking and starting lifting weights, I decided to take a shot at some runs on the treadmill after the weight room. After a couple months of trying, I finally hit 4 miles in under 45 minutes today. Funny it happened today, because I had kind of slacked on it for a couple of weeks. I did a run earlier this week and I was truly worried I was going to throw up when I finished, it was so tough. So I go in today after a hour and a half in the weight room and slay it. ???????

About the running outside...tried it once about a month ago and the pavement brutalized my shins. The icy 25 mph wind probably didn't help. In any case, I didn't enjoy it and walked significantly more than I ran. Maybe now that it's finally going to hit the 60's here and I have some new shoes, I'll try again.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    I think it's more important on work on distance than speed to begin with. Even if you have to go slow, if you can keep that pace up for a longer time, you benefit more by building up cardio endurance which you can then use later on to work on speed.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    During my last 5k, I was passed by kids, dogs and grandmas. Who cares? Have fun.

hehe this made me remember my first 5km - passed by a guy pushing his child in a pushchair - up a hill. But I still finished :D
    Speed is not so important :D
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i get passed by speed walkers

the good news is i'm a minute faster or so than i was last year. grandma's pass me.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    My slow-paced self just wants to thank you for this thread! It's encouraging to see lots of others in the same boat :)