The Calorie Culprit: Coffee Creamer

Coffee Creamer! The one thing I must have with my coffee. It's loaded with calories and I'm not sure what to do!

I'm an avid coffee drinker (addict maybe Lol). About 3 cups a day every day since junior high. With that said, I loooove International Delight because of all of the amazing flavors.

It just racks on the calories with the blink of an eye- from 20 to 35 calories a tablespoon depending on if I use sugar free or not. I usually use 4 to 6 tablespoons depending on the size of my cup, not to mention I'll go back for another.

I need an alternative or some tips about how to save those calories. Are there coffee creamer alternatives that are less calories??

Also- I am willing to go to the black route completely. I already drink black coffee, but I only like it iced. I just can't boot the creamer.... nor the coffee...

Does anyone else relate???

Replies

• Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Coffee is one of my top 3 favorite things. Once I started tracking calories International Delight became one of the first items I eliminated as not worth the calories. I now take my coffee with skim milk. I put a tsp of sugar in only the very first coffee of the day. Compromise that works for me.
  • Suly09
    Suly09 Posts: 88 Member
    This!! https://store.skinnymixes.com/sugar-free-salted-caramel-syrup-p566direct.aspx?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase&gclid=CjwKCAjws6jVBRBZEiwAkIfZ2jEmdT_eaaoYL2-XP1mNUC5dG4qcGJnXZiElH5krwRNFbxgRq6Ug_hoCC14QAvD_BwE
    With almond milk. Delicious. And you dont need much, I just put a cap full in my cup, almond milk and then let the Keurig do its thing and TA-DA.
  • zoedorman
    zoedorman Posts: 12 Member
    jennygutt wrote: »
    I use Premier protein caramel for coffee creamer. Very good and adds protein too.
    Thats a great idea!!!
  • ChubbyMcChubface
    ChubbyMcChubface Posts: 21 Member
    Walden Farms is a brand that makes a lot of zero calorie items such as salad dressings and coffee creamers. I don't personally care for them but it might be worth giving a try.
  • onoppka
    onoppka Posts: 3 Member
    Soy milk is really creamy so a little can go a long way! And for sweetness you could add a packet of splenda or some flavored sugar free syrup
  • its_me_april
    its_me_april Posts: 57 Member
    I go for the sugar free great value french vanilla creamer. . . tastes like lucky charms marshmallows. for a decent-sized cup I use 2 Tbsp = 40 calories and sometimes go back for another 1/2 cup with another Tbsp. . . so 60 calories. . . not bad in my book. I also use splenda as I like it a bit sweeter. Highly recommend this coffee creamer as well as coffee mate sugar free hazelnut (only 15 calories / Tbsp). Both are really good. Even half n half isn't too bad--usually around 40 calories for 2 Tbsp.

Creamer is one thing I just can't justify using too many calories on. I don't like drinking my calories.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited March 2018
    Coffee Creamer! The one thing I must have with my coffee. It's loaded with calories and I'm not sure what to do!

I'm an avid coffee drinker (addict maybe Lol). About 3 cups a day every day since junior high. With that said, I loooove International Delight because of all of the amazing flavors.

It just racks on the calories with the blink of an eye- from 20 to 35 calories a tablespoon depending on if I use sugar free or not. I usually use 4 to 6 tablespoons depending on the size of my cup, not to mention I'll go back for another.

I need an alternative or some tips about how to save those calories. Are there coffee creamer alternatives that are less calories??

Also- I am willing to go to the black route completely. I already drink black coffee, but I only like it iced. I just can't boot the creamer.... nor the coffee...

Do you know the difference between a teaspoon and a tablespoon?

I like my coffee very white, and I use 3 heaped teaspoons of coffee creamer (4 grams), and all up it's 276 kilojoules (66 calories).

Theres no way you need 4-6 tablespoons.

Check your measurements in your diary. Cheers!
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    I ended up drinking my coffee black. If I wanted a little something different I would use calorie free flavored syrups. Now that I'm in maintenance I use coffee creamer again, but find I barely use any at all. A bottle last forever now
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018
    Coffee creamer must be an American thing, I've never seen it here in the UK or tasted it - I reckon that's a good thing LOL

I used to take a little sugar in my coffee but weaned myself off that years ago, the thought of sugar in it now would make me go euuuw.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    You're right about creamer being a calorie culprit. Fat free milk/creamer with flavored syrups and extracts should help you get those calories down. I've cut way down on the creamer but I'm not totally black yet, lol.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »

Do you know the difference between a teaspoon and a tablespoon?

I like my coffee very white, and I use 3 heaped teaspoons of coffee creamer (4 grams), and all up it's 276 kilojoules (66 calories).

Theres no way you need 4-6 tablespoons.

Check your measurements in your diary. Cheers!

There are some people who enjoy a splash of coffee in their cup of creamer. :D

There was a user on here that put half a cup of milk in their coffee because they liked milky coffee. I never got a clear answer whether that was half a cup of milk for EVERY cup of coffee, or half a cup of milk for coffee OVER THE COURSE OF THE DAY. I think she mentioned she drank 4-6 cups of coffee daily.

Now that I think, it may have been tea.