Zero calorie vegetables

Options
Hi. I'm a little confused about zero calorie vegetables and I apologise for my ignorance here but a lot of experts say that you can eat all you want, which is great. The only thing is that when I enter them into my diary my carbs go through the roof. Any advice?

Replies

• RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    which experts?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Most vegetables are pretty low cal, but they have calories (and a majority of those calories come from carbs).

Agreed. I'm not aware of any zero calorie foods. Beverages, yes. Foods, no.

I'm wondering if this is some confusion brought on by negative calorie foods or weight watches zero point foods?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Veggies are not really "free" foods (or zero calories) unless you are using a program like Weight Watchers which gives you a lowered calorie limit.....to account for veggies you will be eating with their program.

There are some very low calorie veggies (celery, lettuce, cucumbers). Basically fiber and water with a few micronutirents......not a whole lot in the way of nutritional value.

Is there a medical reason for managing carbs? Weight loss is about calorie deficit; focus on that first barring medical issues.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    There are some veggies that are very low in calories - like you could eat a big bowl of them for maybe 50 calories. The carbs you're seeing a mostly due to fiber content. Fiber is considered a carb but it passes through your body unabsorbed.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Water is zero calories.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Hi. I'm a little confused about zero calorie vegetables and I apologise for my ignorance here but a lot of experts say that you can eat all you want, which is great. The only thing is that when I enter them into my diary my carbs go through the roof. Any advice?

Just wait until you discover the negative calorie veggies and fruit.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/negative-calorie-foods/

:)
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    meganw2020 wrote: »
    Some "experts" say there are zero calorie vegetables because the vegetables have less calories in them then the amount of calories your body expends to digest them. It is not that they truly have no calories. These vegetables are a great choice but they do still have carbs.

But since the "costs" of digestion are already factored into food, these "experts" are wrong.

I know that, calm down. I was just stating the idea behind why some people say there are zero calorie foods, hence my use of quotations around the word experts.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Some "experts" say there are zero calorie vegetables because the vegetables have less calories in them then the amount of calories your body expends to digest them. It is not that they truly have no calories. These vegetables are a great choice but they do still have carbs.

That's because they don't understand what TEF (Thermic Effect of Food) is. What they're proposing is ridiculous and impossible.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

That's because they don't understand what TEF (Thermic Effect of Food) is. What they're proposing is ridiculous and impossible.

You are forgetting the calories burned lifting your fork and chewing the food :tongue:
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Water is zero calories.

loads of ways to prepare it as well -

Ice - to suck or crunch
    Shaved ice, so you can eat it with a fork
    hot
    cold
    really cold
    room temperature

I have loads of "friends" in my feed that keep posting pictures of their dinners of water that they are really proud of .. I am sure they are trying to convert me by showing me how delightfull looking their bowl of water is
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    Water is zero calories.

Ice - to suck or crunch
    hot
    cold
    really cold
    room temperature

I have loads of "friends" in my feed that keep posting pictures of their dinners of water that they are really proud of .. I am sure they are trying to convert me by showing me how delightfull looking their bowl of water is

Ice is actually negative calories as you will need to burn calories to bring it to body temperature :tongue:

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Water is zero calories.

Ice - to suck or crunch
    hot
    cold
    really cold
    room temperature

I like dry ice too! It makes drinking water interesting.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Water is zero calories.

Ice - to suck or crunch
    hot
    cold
    really cold
    room temperature

If my cat would only push me his water dish instead of bringing me murder gifts...