Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are Processed Foods "Bad"?

Options

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every food item we purchase in a grocery store is processed to some degree, as another poster mentioned, we process foods at home just be cooking them.

Still, that's probably not what the majority of people thing of when they think of the term 'processed food' ... you hear and read it all the time ... "shop the perimeter of the store where the whole foods are usually displayed and stay away from the inner aisles where all the processed food is" ... and what this is describing is food that is sold in packages, cans, bottles, jars, the freezer section ... they have been manufactured somewhere and are being sold as a ready-to-eat, or with minimal further preparation being required.

We could not live in todays society without using those products to some extent.

Are they unhealthy? Well, some of them contain ingredients that are possible health hazards, some contain ingredients that would be unnecessary if the same food was cooked from 'scratch' at home.

It's up to each of us to determine which food stuffs fit into our meal plans; considering all the factors involved, or at least those that are important to us.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It really depends what is meant by "processed". The term has become extremely vague. To some people, images of shelf-stable shrink wrapped Little Debbie snack cakes and Funyons come to mind. To me, any type of fermented food, including cheese, pickles, bread and other yeast-risen baked goods, any type of juice, dried fruits and meats, kimchi, yogurt, sausage, etc, is processed, and none of them qualify as definitively "unhealthy" to me, knowing nothing else about the quantity in which they're eaten.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think some people take it to an extreme though and consider anything that comes in a box or a can as processed and ban it from their diet. Or if they can't pronounce it they ban it. There are many things that look scary and unpronounceable that are perfectly healthy. (Tocepherol, for example: Vitamin E) I think that's just silly. If you can eat it, it fits into your calories, and doesn't make you feel bad (bad as in unwell, not guilty) why not enjoy it?

I agree, except I don't think considering those foods (the ones you think are extreme to ban) as "processed foods" is extreme. It's the actual, correct meaning of "processed foods." That's precisely why it's wrong to claim that processed foods are all low nutrient or high cal or full of preservatives (although salt itself is a preservative and why canned foods tend to be high sodium) or the like.

I don't think the definition of processed foods is extreme. It's the thought of someone truly going through with not having anything processed in the sense that human hands have touched it that is extreme. Can you imagine anyone in this day and age not at least having a gallon of milk, frozen veggies, or olive oil in their home because they read somewhere that processed foods are bad for them? I do not know anyone specifically that has actually tried to do this, but I would be willing to bet that there is some one out there that has attempted to live this way. I do know people who I would be surprised to find a box of pasta, or a can of corn in their home though.

Hopefully I am making sense as I am not yet sufficiently caffeinated for the day. I suppose the point I am trying to make is that when most people say "Yep, I'm cutting out processed food from my diet! It's time for me to eat clean and healthy." they really mean they are cutting out the unhealthy highly refined, high calorie, low nutrient food from their diets. Because, to truly cut out anything and everything that is processed would be absurd.

Anyways just for kittens and giggles I typed in "processed food" into my search engine and got this:
    https://nhs.uk/livewell/goodfood/pages/what-are-processed-foods.aspx

Basically says to avoid high fat, high sugar, and/or high salt foods and to eat everything in moderation.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think some people take it to an extreme though and consider anything that comes in a box or a can as processed and ban it from their diet. Or if they can't pronounce it they ban it. There are many things that look scary and unpronounceable that are perfectly healthy. (Tocepherol, for example: Vitamin E) I think that's just silly. If you can eat it, it fits into your calories, and doesn't make you feel bad (bad as in unwell, not guilty) why not enjoy it?

I agree, except I don't think considering those foods (the ones you think are extreme to ban) as "processed foods" is extreme. It's the actual, correct meaning of "processed foods." That's precisely why it's wrong to claim that processed foods are all low nutrient or high cal or full of preservatives (although salt itself is a preservative and why canned foods tend to be high sodium) or the like.

I don't think the definition of processed foods is extreme. It's the thought of someone truly going through with not having anything processed in the sense that human hands have touched it that is extreme. Can you imagine anyone in this day and age not at least having a gallon of milk, frozen veggies, or olive oil in their home because they read somewhere that processed foods are bad for them? I do not know anyone specifically that has actually tried to do this, but I would be willing to bet that there is some one out there that has attempted to live this way. I do know people who I would be surprised to find a box of pasta, or a can of corn in their home though.

Yeah, we totally agree on this, and I think you are making sense.

One reason I'm adamant in arguing that processed foods are not inherently bad and can actually make weight loss easier, not harder, is that I tend to be an all or nothing person and went through a stage where I was starting to become that extreme person who did not eat processed foods (although of course I still did). I didn't know about the "clean" thing and called it eating only "natural" (which, granted, is equally silly), and I was really adverse to eating anything from a package, wouldn't used canned tomatoes (or anything canned), wouldn't eat pasta not made by myself (and liked the idea of getting a home grinder, although I never did that). But I got kind of neurotic. I also considered trying out a locavore thing as an extension of this, but luckily I realized that (a) that would mean no coffee, and (b) I live in Chicago, am I insane? what am I going to eat in February. Of course I toyed with planning ahead and canning and so on, but came to reason, even though it did seem fun as a challenge (and I might try it for a month in the summer or something, but NOT because it's healthier, that's not true).
    Hopefully I am making sense as I am not yet sufficiently caffeinated for the day. I suppose the point I am trying to make is that when most people say "Yep, I'm cutting out processed food from my diet! It's time for me to eat clean and healthy." they really mean they are cutting out the unhealthy highly refined, high calorie, low nutrient food from their diets. Because, to truly cut out anything and everything that is processed would be absurd.

Well, this is what frustrates me when people say that, since it's obviously not true. I don't eat much that those people probably consider unhealthy (other than for occasional treats or what not), but OF COURSE I eat processed foods and I see no reason why cutting out those foods -- plain greek yogurt, dried pasta, some condiments, olive oil and vinegars, smoked salmon, so on -- would be better for my health. To the contrary, I found loosening up on my weird obsession with never eating anything "processed" (which I didn't achieve even then) made everything easier, and so actually made it more sustainable to eat a healthy, calorie-appropriate diet. If I had to work super late and am exhausted, I can do one of those Indian options cwolfman mentioned or an Amy's meal or, sure, get a sandwich from Potbelly's when still at work (perfectly calorie-appropriate turkey on wheat) and not feel guilty or like I somehow "cheated" or whatever, and realize instead that what I ate is reasonably healthy and totally fine.

It's like the anti processed food thing involves this magical thinking that if you have some processed food it means you will automatically be unable to control your diet or be unhealthy or tainted (unclean!) or whatever that drives me crazy.
    Basically says to avoid high fat, high sugar, and/or high salt foods and to eat everything in moderation.

Heh! That's great.

I really think for the most part people who go on about "processed foods" make no real effort to avoid all processed foods but instead just try not to base their diet around low nutrient high cal ultra processed items, which maybe they were doing before, but certainly not everyone did, and which means that their super special "clean" diet ends up just being what everyone else basically recommends.

It just seems dishonest to me for someone to claim he or she is avoiding "processed" foods when in reality that person eats lots of processed foods, but clearly not everyone agrees.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    As long as it's clear a cookie made at home or even ice cream made at home from cream, vanilla and vanilla pods, and sugar (and maybe eggs) = processed (since anything you add sugar to = processed), and that by that definition homemade bread is also processed (since flour is normally not ground at home), then, sure, junk food is usually processed.

Has nothing to do with why it's "junk food," of course.