Ever Had A Stranger Insult Your Weightloss Success? (A bit of a rant)

Options
sonarbabe
sonarbabe Posts: 39 Member
Seems like a silly question, doesn't it? Unfortunately, I had the distinct displeasure of experiencing this for the first time. I'm a part-time cashier and one of my regulars came in today and decided it would be "okay" to spew some of the most insulting and hurtful verbal diarrhea I've ever heard. (Trust me. Being 60-75 lbs overweight most of my life, I've heard ALOT) The following is a pretty close account of what happened.

Him: Hey, girl. You've lost a lot of weight lately, huh?
Me: *starting to nod*
Him: You don't look good. Not at all. You're looking anorexic. How much have you lost?
Me: *shocked* Uh, 65 pounds...
Him: WHAT?! 65?? That's too much. You look unhealthy.
Me: *pissed* Um... Good morning?

I would love to say I'm exaggerating what he said, but I'm not. What gives this man the right to judge me? I don't know him and he certainly doesn't know me. If he did, he would know I've been made fun of my whole life for my weight. If he knew me, he would know that my self-esteem is shot or that I can't make myself believe loose skin isn't just fat.

Above all, if he knew me, then he would know I've worked my butt off for the last year to get to where I am. Or that my husband looks at me today the exact same way he did when we were teenagers.

But he doesn't know me and while I'm hurt and angry by his words, I used this negativity he dropped on me to push myself at the gym. My second trip after knee surgery, I walked 3 miles and it felt amazing! So, dear rude customer, you can take your unwanted--and unwarranted--comments and shove it.

Replies

• michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It happened to me last week. I think she was trying to complement me, because she saw me eating dessert and started telling me I needed to eat more. It didn't really feel like a complement, though.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I think I may have “wooed” a couple of people because of where the woo is on my phone. I suddenly realized that my thumb hovers over it while I’m scrolling. So perhaps other people are having the same problem... Anyway I’m sorry you had to put up with such rudeness, I think some people don’t have any filter.

I know me too! It's where my finger scrolls and if I could takesy backsy I would :#
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the rude person, Congratulations on your success keep doing what makes you happy. :);)
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    sorry about him. Sometimes people making positive changes, struggling and succeeding despite the odds brings up issues for other people. Kind of like a co-dependence if you can be co-dependent on someone you don't know! Don't let it bother you, it's about him, not you. You are doing great - keep going!
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Well done on the awesome loss! :#<3
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss! When people like him show up and make comments, instead of getting riled, just think that it's too bad he has a mental illness. Poor man.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    noumena_ wrote: »
    Gotta love it when someone "woos" everything but they have nothing helpful to add.

To be fair, for the first week I was on forums I thought woo was like "wooo/hooray/yay" <3

me too, I'm rather bummed that most people take it as an insult or a "this is trash"...
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Gotta love working retail, you get all these rude customers and all we can do is say, "thank you, have a nice day", when you really want to say is "go f*** yourself". I once had a customer tell me, he lost weight by some kind of replacement therapy, (I no longer remember what it was), and I could also, as he had his hand down his pants... I really want to say to him "are you calling me fat?". I didn't, I smiled and said oh good for you, and walked away.
  • sonarbabe
    sonarbabe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Gotta love working retail, you get all these rude customers and all we can do is say, "thank you, have a nice day", when you really want to say is "go f*** yourself". I once had a customer tell me, he lost weight by some kind of replacement therapy, (I no longer remember what it was), and I could also, as he had his hand down his pants... I really want to say to him "are you calling me fat?". I didn't, I smiled and said oh good for you, and walked away.

It was on the very tip of my tongue to say, "f*** you, dude." I have an amazing boss though and he said he wouldn't have reprimanded me if I had.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!