Cutting aggressively -- How low can I go without losing muscle?

Options

Replies

• mikenmar
    mikenmar Posts: 31 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    FWIW, I went from 265 to 168 in the space of a year, and I'm lifting heavier weights, with a greater frequency, than I did when I started. And it's not because I wasn't lifting as hard as I could when I started.

I'm not sure there's any way to explain that other than saying "I lost fat without losing muscle, and in fact I probably added muscle."

I realize that going from 168 to 150 is not nearly the same as going from 265 to 168, but my point is that I'm not sure your statement is necessarily true for everyone all the time.

I will add that I've been lifting weights on and off since I was 13, so there was definitely some muscle memory. Also, I think I use decent form and technique for an amateur.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    mikenmar wrote: »
    OK, let me try one more time: Forget what I said about abs, or having a chest that pops, or any of that.

I JUST WANT TO LOSE FAT WITHOUT LOSING MUSCLE.

That makes the answer much simpler.

It's not possible.

Not according to Lyle...

https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/size-of-deficit-and-muscle-catabolism-qa.html/

• mikenmar
    Options
    ^^ Whoops -- I screwed up the quoting on that. The part from "FWIW" on is me, not AnvilHead.
  • mikenmar
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks, I'm checking out the PSMF and Lyle McDonald references.

BTW, the initial shot I posted didn't really get my arms. Here's a couple side shots to demonstrate just how rapidly I'm approaching the state of skinny fat:

Do9RlxJ.jpg

ORTrpeu.jpg

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Nice guns. ;)
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I wouldn't say you look "skinny fat", maybe just a bit imbalanced where your fat stores are located (arms vs torso, no back/legs to go by). Probably not enough muscle to look "ripped/shredded" but good enough to be "lean" when you are dialed down in weight/bodyfat.

You definitely have some muscle, you might look higher BF with lots of body hair & due to your skin's elasticity (age)

<--I would consider myself "lean" not "shredded/ripped"...this is a very difficult look to attain & maintain without drugs of course. Lyle McDonald = good source for rapid fat loss/PSMF if you're experienced & strong willed enough (only for temporary use)
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    mikenmar wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm checking out the PSMF and Lyle McDonald references.

BTW, the initial shot I posted didn't really get my arms. Here's a couple side shots to demonstrate just how rapidly I'm approaching the state of skinny fat:

Do9RlxJ.jpg

ORTrpeu.jpg

Arms are on point. LOL to dust off an over used term... Core (abs obliques and back) is probably where you might want to add some focus?
  • mikenmar
    Options
    ^^^ Yes, thanks. And yes, I'm on it. For many years, I only worked out my chest and arms, basically, so they're a bit overdeveloped compared to the rest of my body. A year ago I couldn't a single pull-up; now I can do five on a bad day. Working on the abs too.

I used to have very strong legs too, when I was much younger. But when I got fat it caused my knees to become sore. I'm just now getting past that, so I will be taking up a more aggressive lower body routine soon as well.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Not exact since we're all built a bit differently, but:

jihgb7bj4xih.jpg

I don’t agree with these charts. Right now I’m ~ the 12 - 13 % bodyfat range but I’m still not seeing a six pack like in that photo.

These charts are just a guideline. How did you measure your bodyfat %? Also if you are very lean with lack of definition and abs, you could be lacking the muscle base to have them show.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    @gearfreegains Blame genetics.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Not exact since we're all built a bit differently, but:

jihgb7bj4xih.jpg

I don’t agree with these charts. Right now I’m ~ the 12 - 13 % bodyfat range but I’m still not seeing a six pack like in that photo.

These charts are just a guideline. How did you measure your bodyfat %? Also if you are very lean with lack of definition and abs, you could be lacking the muscle base to have them show.

Ya I guess these charts really are just a general idea and not exact. I’m sure different people will be able to see abs at different BF %’s. I’ve seen a guy at ~15 - 16 and had a flat stomach. At that range I’d look pudgy.

Yea a combination of genetics and muscle. If you have more muscle on your frame you will likely look leaner at a higher bodyfat.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    As we age the ability to gain muscle fast decreases markedly.
    As the amount of training we have under our belt increases the ability to gain muscle fast and easily rapidly decreases.
    As we get leaner the ability to sustain rapid rate of fat loss without risking muscle loss decreases.

You have done well so far, don't throw it away due to impatience.

This! ^^ I think you are crazy to want to cut so aggressively. Especially in light of the fact that you don't want to lose muscle. At 1500 cals per day, that is pretty much guaranteed.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    qofmiwok11 wrote: »
    I have been losing weight by fasting 24-36 hours at a time (occasionally longer, but not now that I have less body fat). During this time I have gained a fair amount of muscle. Fasters claim that it works differently than calorie restriction, and I have definitely found that to be the case.

Lol! Oh really? And just how did you gain this muscle while fasting? And how did you measure the muscle gains? This ought to be interesting. If you are right, there are medical researchers that would love to hear about this!!
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    qofmiwok11 wrote: »
    I have been losing weight by fasting 24-36 hours at a time (occasionally longer, but not now that I have less body fat). During this time I have gained a fair amount of muscle. Fasters claim that it works differently than calorie restriction, and I have definitely found that to be the case.

Lol! Oh really? And just how did you gain this muscle while fasting? And how did you measure the muscle gains? This ought to be interesting. If you are right, there are medical researchers that would love to hear about this!!

Well...it IS April Fool's day, after all. :D

I emphasize more on the word "Fool"