Cutting aggressively -- How low can I go without losing muscle?

Options
13»

Replies

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    mikenmar wrote: »
    Everybody on this site always asks, "Why are you in such a hurry?"

LOL. I understand the gist of the response -- that trying to lose weight too fast by cutting too much could cause you to lose lean muscle. But really, isn't the answer to the question completely obvious?

We all want to feel and look our best. Of course I want to get there sooner rather than later. Wouldn't you?

Would you rather be ripped by next week, or do you want to wait until next year? It's like asking someone, "Would you rather have a million dollars now, or should I give it to you some time in 2021?" I don't know anyone who wouldn't much rather prefer the former.

So yeah, of course I want to get there soon. Now, I don't want to go so fast that it ends up being detrimental, but that's exactly why I posted this thread.

The consensus seems to be that 1500 cal/day is too low. OK, so what is a better number? I've done about 2000/day for an extended period of time (a month or more) without losing any strength, so it seems like I might be able to go lower than that, provided I get enough protein.

I did buy the Lyle McDonald book (Ultimate Diet 2.0). That is way more advanced than I can handle right now. He says it's really geared toward people who have already gotten down to 12-15% BF, so I'm not going to try it yet.

I figure I'm somewhere about 20% BF. I'll do a DEXA soon to get a better estimate. But for now let's go with that.

Ultimately I'd love to get down to 10% BF, but it seems like 15% is a more realistic intermediate goal. By my calculations, I need to get down to about 160 lbs to be at 15%. Does that sound right?

That's much lighter than I thought I'd be when I started on this journey a year ago. (Again, I weight 265 lbs then.) I am a pretty strong guy for someone who's heading towards skinny fat (LOL again). I can do 12 reps of 120 lb overhead barbell presses without breaking a sweat. Is that typical for a muscular 160 lb person?

Well if your goal is to lose weight fast without losing muscles, you can't do both with an agressive weight loss regardless of how much you eat in calories. If you lose over 2 pounds per week, you will lose a lot of muscles. There is no way around it, which is why we're all telling you it's not recommended. If you're goal is to lose weight asap without caring about muscle loss, it's a different story, but this is not the case.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Good video here from Martin

https://youtu.be/BhLIsFFsPAA
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    For me I am 5’7 183lbs and 14.3% bf. My goal like you is to drop down to 10%. I am cutting calories to about 1700 per day with a macro breakdown of 50/35/15 of protein/ starch carbs/fats. For me this is only sustainable for 8 weeks max. I also don’t include fiberous carbs in my total calories so in the evening I eat a good bit of green vegetables. I am also doing 20+ min of steady state cardio 5x per week. Starch carbs are before 3:00pm. This is my second year cutting like this and it require a lot of discipline and hard work but as it’s been said before everyone’s body reacts differently so what works for me may not work for everyone else and we are all starting at a different point as well. Good luck and keep up the good work
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I JUST WANT TO LOSE FAT WITHOUT LOSING MUSCLE.
    Obviously, the calories in calories out model isn't doing what you want it to do. I would suggest trying a different approach. First, I think you've heard this enough, but I do still agree - To preserve muscle, don't drop your protein intake and don't drop your calories too low.

carbs cause insulin rise, which tells your body to store fat, not burn it. you will be able to burn your own fat AFTER you have reduced your insulin levels. Two possible approaches, or try a combination of both:
    1. reduce the amount of carbs you are eating, particularly refined grains and sugars which cause the greatest rise in insulin levels. Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) or Keto says replace carbs with enough fat (no insulin response) that you don't feel hungry. Dietdoctor.com website has good info to get started.
    2. reduce the amount of time that you have higher insulin by eating only during a limited time period. Look up time-restricted eating, leangains, or intermittant fasting. I'm currently doing about 16 hours "fasting" and 8 hours feeding time each day.

Nope. Your understanding of lipolysis and the role and function of insulin is just plain wrong.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Obviously, the calories in calories out model isn't doing what you want it to do. I would suggest trying a different approach. First, I think you've heard this enough, but I do still agree - To preserve muscle, don't drop your protein intake and don't drop your calories too low.

carbs cause insulin rise, which tells your body to store fat, not burn it. you will be able to burn your own fat AFTER you have reduced your insulin levels. Two possible approaches, or try a combination of both:
    1. reduce the amount of carbs you are eating, particularly refined grains and sugars which cause the greatest rise in insulin levels. Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) or Keto says replace carbs with enough fat (no insulin response) that you don't feel hungry. Dietdoctor.com website has good info to get started.
    2. reduce the amount of time that you have higher insulin by eating only during a limited time period. Look up time-restricted eating, leangains, or intermittant fasting. I'm currently doing about 16 hours "fasting" and 8 hours feeding time each day.

Nope. Your understanding of lipolysis and the role and function of insulin is just plain wrong.

Not to mention the fact that insulin is also an anabolic hormone. Hint: Bodybuilders don't intentionally use exogenous insulin with the intention of increasing their fat stores. Perhaps this will help (again, actual science, not dietdoctor/Fung woo): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21864752
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Insulin apears to be more of an anti catabolic
    Hormone

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16705065/
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Ridiculous and I am not surprised you are promoting keto diet, it's a typical and false answer. I lost 25 lbs with eating over 200 grams of carbs per day and this with doing lifting alone (no cardio). Whatever diet you chose will be based on personal preference, no diet is superior and NO META-ANALYSIS proves what you say to be true. Ignoring carbs won't make you lose fat more efficiently calorie for calorie. This is the kind of information that keeps popping out way too often which provides newbies with bad information and are almost forced to adopt one diet.

I am glad a few has called this person out for this bad advice.
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Soooo....short answer to OP is if you try to loose fat fast, you will loose muscle. If you want to maintain muscle while loosing fat, that will take a longer time, require a calorie deficit (or maintenance depending on who you listen to) and adequate protein of about .8-1.1 (+/-) of protein per lean body weight (not overall body weight).

You could switch up and try a keto/low carb diet which is basically still regular food (meat, eggs, fish, leafy veg) just no complex carbs/potatoes, grains, corn, rice, bread. It's not voodoo or something magical. The concept being your body changing it's energy source from sugar incoming from food or stored as glycogen in your muscles to utilizing incoming fat, or stored fat which why SOME people see a fat loss on keto/low carb. Be advised it's not a diet for everyone. I've done this type of diet since 1999. Lost FAT and kept it off (went from 195 to 170 on average). But others have a hard time staying full and having engergy and if you don't get into Ketosis (the full fat adapted stage), you can feel like crap, low engergy, less focus.

Just an idea as an altnerative to what you are doing. Otherwise you can loose fat while maintaining, it just wont come as fast as you'd like.
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Oh, my previous post may suggest that a keto or low carb diet will allow you to burn fat fast without loosing muscle, but that’s not the case. The post above mine is actually pretty accurate, you’ll loose at the same rate. Changing to low You might see a faster weight (not necessarily body fat) dip as you won’t hold as much water. My suggestion on low carb is an alternate to other dietary choices. And for some (myself included) this type of diet is easier for me to stick to for long term. It is a preference based on each individual. Same as any other dietary or workout plan.