How can lose weight with having hypothyroidism?

Options
13»

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hi Mrs Richards,

If your doctor diagnosed hypothyroid did they also give you a prescription? And then you should have it checked on a regular basis.

I have that too, and really I found that the calorie deficit causes fat loss regardless. I thought taking the medicine was going to make it easier, but it didn't. I still had to do a sight calorie deficit consistently and it still worked.
  • NoExcusesFromNowOn
    NoExcusesFromNowOn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I can't edit my post but I gained about 10 back from buffets. Lost that now. Tracking the food I really believe is the key. I bought cheap clear 1 cup measuring cups at Walmart and eat yogurt and cottage cheese out of those. I have a tiny 2 tablespoon container I got on Amazon. I was waaaaaay underestimating the amount of peanut butter I was eating!!!
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am also hypothyroid and on levothyroxine for years. I have found losing weight to be slow and difficult. It can get very frustrating at times. But I MUST lose this weight for my health. We can't give up.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    2aycocks wrote: »
    I am also hypothyroid and on levothyroxine for years. I have found losing weight to be slow and difficult. It can get very frustrating at times. But I MUST lose this weight for my health. We can't give up.

when was the last time you had blood work done? for me, the sign that i need to have blood work done is that my weight starts creeping up. Also remember that TSH has a huge range - so while you might be in the normal range - it might not be your optimal range - so get a doctor who listens to you
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    No thyroid here for over 16 years and I have gone from 189 to 129.4 (so far). My best investment was a food scale. I sincerely recommend you buy one and track your intake, so you have a clearer picture of what is going on. Feel free to add me if you wish :) You can do this ... don't give up :)
  • nellypurcelly
    nellypurcelly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Are there any supplements to help with weight loss when you have hypo. Anybody had any luck

Selenium is recommended. I take 400 mcg per day. Selenium is also found in Brazil nuts, but it's hard to know exactly how much you're getting from them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,774 Member
    Options
    Are there any supplements to help with weight loss when you have hypo. Anybody had any luck

Selenium is recommended. I take 400 mcg per day. Selenium is also found in Brazil nuts, but it's hard to know exactly how much you're getting from them.

A handful of them daily can be enough to exceed the recommended upper limit, which is 400mcg from all sources for adults, BTW. Too much selenium can be dangerous.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Selenium-Consumer/
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    2aycocks wrote: »

when was the last time you had blood work done? for me, the sign that i need to have blood work done is that my weight starts creeping up. Also remember that TSH has a huge range - so while you might be in the normal range - it might not be your optimal range - so get a doctor who listens to you

Usually every 6 months. They had me taking too much at one point and I started having heart palpitations and other problems. I also have Lupus and take other medications. I feel like that all plays a part too. But I don't know.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    my daughter gets blood work for her thyroid medication levels every 3 months.