When do you exercise - first thing in the morning or after work?

Options

Replies

• OceanAddict
    OceanAddict Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I really prefer evenings. The gym is less crowded after 8:30pm, and I don't feel rushed in my routine as I've got nothing urgent to do afterwards.
    That said, if my schedule allows, I do appreciate the boost in energy that a morning cardio workout can provide.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Combo. I work from home so I have some flexibility. I’m not a morning person but 2 days a week I walk the beach at 7:30am before the Florida heat gets to be too much for my dog. The other days I do HIIT/weight training at around 12-3 depending on my work schedule. Then I break my fast.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Both!

I have a 30 minute strength-flexibility-etc workout through Classical Stretch that isn't sweaty or loud. I do it at least 3x a week before work.

After work is when I am really better set up for cardio.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I work from home and mostly run for exercise, or I just count the steps I get on my treadmill desk while I'm working. But for a true "workout", I will run in the morning or the afternoon/evening, depending on my schedule and the weather, since I usually run outside. I don't belong to a gym, but I do have a running treadmill at home. I just much prefer running outside.

I would say plan to do it in the morning, but if it's just not working for you that day, make it such that you can still fit it in after work. I'm not sure how flexible you can be, though.
  • The_Canadian_Apex
    The_Canadian_Apex Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I recently changed things up. I do 30 minutes of elliptical in the morning before work. Then about 4 times a week I'll also add in weights in the evening.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning person for a couple of reasons.
    I prefer to work out on an empty stomach. Not sure why, but I always feel like I'm a little sluggish with my workouts if I have eaten before hand. Plus I use my breakfast as my motivation haha. Get through this workout and your food is waiting at home!
    I will talk myself out of working out at the end of the day. After work, kids, dinner, activities...I am done. The only thing I want to do is watch tv with a cup of tea.
    I have a bad back that is usually sore and tired at the end of the day. First thing in the morning is when I physically feel better.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I tend to drag my butt out of bed at the last possible moment to make it to work on time so there's no time for me to work out in the morning.

I have taken up cycling and ride 3-4 afternoons a week. The thing is I don't really think of it as 'exercise' though. When I hear the word exercise my brain associates that with 'Something I have to endure to get fitter'. Where as cycling is something I have really started to enjoy and the 'getting fitter' part is incidental.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I do my exercise at night. I work 2nd shift and I'm much more of a night person, so working out is SO much more enjoyable for me at 10pm vs 10am. I don't know how you morning people do it.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM now so I either work out in the am before the toddler wakes up, or during his nap time. If I don't get it done by nap time it doesn't happen.
    When I was working I'd take my runs after work, but I had to do it straight away... have my clothes ready and never sit down after walking in the door. Once I sit down, it's all over!
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I do it after work. I have a long commute, so I'm already up at 5:30 just to give me time to get ready. If I had to hit the gym, come home and shower, then get ready? I'd be having to wake up around 3am. The good thing is that I pass my gym on the way home, so I put my gym bag in the car, so I'll have no excuse.
  • paulbrttn
    paulbrttn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    At lunch. 100% not a morning person, tried it a few times and either sat there drinking coffee contemplating exercise until it was time to get ready for work or on the rare occasion I've dragged myself out I've hated every moment. Evenings were fine til it started to take too much time from the family. So now I start work half an hour earlier and take 90 minutes for lunch, more than enough time for me to get everything done.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I do both. It's more convenient for me to do the workouts I do at home (yoga for me) in the morning before my kids wake up.
    Running I do on the way home from work, and spin classes are afternoons and one on Saturday morning.
    The best time to workout is the time when u will actually do it.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    days i sleep in i dont workout. Im an antisocial loser and the people being in the gym using the mchines i wanna use throws me off and i hate it lol. So i wake up early get it out of the way and feel good its done for the day lol
  • kschildroth
    kschildroth Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I do both I guess. I'm more of a morning person. I lifting in the mornings before work and I do yoga a couple times a week at nights after I get off.
  • jasondwightpowell
    jasondwightpowell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym after work. Since I suffer from insomnia I don't like the mornings!!! However as soon as this weather decides to cooperate I will be running in the AM and lifting in the PM.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Cardio in the morning, weights in the late afternoon.
  • Fitwithsci
    Fitwithsci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like to get up early and get it down, although I have heard people are generally stronger later in the day. I'm not sure if the scientific literature backs this up or if its just a lot of peoples opinion.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Both, I can't wait to get back to 9Round. Weekends are long, because they are closed Saturday at noon & all day Sunday.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    after work, I tried in the morning, and I just can not get into it then.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Both usually during the work week. Light cardio/aerobics/intervals first thing in the morning. In the evenings I do strength-training, bodyweight stuff etc.

I trained myself to do early morning workouts when I first started exercising just to get out the way. I found too many excuses when I tried to wait later in the day.

Then it because a habit. Now I look forward to my morning workouts.