The first time you realised you were actually over weight.

Options

Replies

• kcusnem
    kcusnem Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ever since I can remember. Maybe tumbling class when I was 4? Mom has always said I was 'big boned' and too big. She did ballet, go figure. My sis and I both had to excercise (run behind the car), eat less (but clean your plate!), eat grapefruit, do slimfast and take dexitrim all by the time we were 10. No wonder we both ended up near 300lbs as adults.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't even remember not being overweight... does that count?
  • desigirl23
    desigirl23 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was always on the fit side - at 5'7", I weighed 135 lbs or under most of my life. That was my weight when I got married 13 years ago. I used to wear a size 6.

Fast forward, last year, DH and I went to a wedding (his friend). One of his friends put a few photos from the wedding on facebook. I had worn a short black dress that I thought I looked really great in. I was tagged in those photos. I was horrified when I saw myself next to DH and his friends - they were all skinny, looking awesome - I looked like a beached whale. I removed the tags and assumed it was just bad camera angle ignoring the fact that I was wearing size 10 now.

Then a month ago, we went to a picnic - college reunion picnic for DH - again, saw a couple of photos. Most women were my age but I was the 2nd fattest woman there. I had to then throw out the "metabolism slows down with age" excuse I had been using for the past year or so. Weighed myself - was at 165 - full 30 lbs gained in 13 years. I weigh more than my 6 ft tall DH !!!

Have been on and off on MFP - but this time am on to stay. Have lost about 7 lbs since I started this round. Will continue till I reach my pre-wedding weight.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    For me two things happened within a month of each other:
    The "fat dress" I bought not 6 months before wouldn't zip up.
    I accidently put on a pair of my (really freaking fat) mother in law's pants by mistake one weekend when she was staying with us... And they fit! They were too big for her, so she gave them to me. That was soul crushing. Having to wear fat lady mom jeans because nothing else fit.
  • Anasye
    Anasye Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My mother first noticed me gaining weight in 4th grade and would always check my diet, telling my not to eat so much but I never saw myself as fat. I would say I have been 10 lbs overweight since 4th to 11th grade when I began to gain more weight. I went on a diet and yo-yoed, then I went to college and would work out during school but gain the weight back plus more over the summer. When my mother died my sophomore year I gained 20lbs not even in the span of a year I knew I needed to change.

I buckled down lost 6 lbs and then went back home to the islands for a family member's 50th birthday party. It was there on the beach that a drunken cousin of mine loudly told me that I was fat and getting fatter. That I needed to take up track or do something because I was going to end up fat like the rest of the women in our family. All this infront of strangers and family alike, and broke down in tears embarrased and I definitely knew I was fat then. When I got back to New York I fell of the wagon and gained 15lbs. It was only this May that I took up changing my lifestyle again and so far so good.
  • nomacizana
    Options
    Not being able to ties my own shoes laces because my stomach was in my way and literally blocking my air way did it for me. Being physically out of breathe and tired from tying a shoe lace.
  • IsisRosa
    IsisRosa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My first moment was a photograph of my mother-in-law, father-in-law and myself sitting on a couch. My mother-in-law is a thin woman but I looked like a giant compared to her. I even looked bigger than my father-in-law who is not a small man by any means. I was mortified, but consoled myself with the fact that I had just had a baby 6 months or so before. Fast forward a year and, while waiting at the doctors office, my son took a picture of me with my phone. I was obviously overweight. I started working out but stopped when my husband deployed. Well, a month ago, I was sitting on one of my metal patio chairs and felt the chair slowly moving to the ground. Yes, I broke a metal chair! I almost cried. My ‘baby’ is three years old now, so I can’t use that excuse anymore. From that day forward, I changed my diet and started working out. I haven’t lost pounds, but I have lost inches.

Reading this thread has me thinking back to all of the red flags that I ignored. The office chair that I broke because I put all of my weight on the arm of the chair. Having to by a new swimsuit in size 1X. During a casual conversation, my coworkers stating that I would be able to overpower a full grown man (Dang, am I THAT big?!?!) A photo that my daughter took where my face looks pudgy and bloated. Forming a second chin. A photo of me standing next to my husband and we are the same size. Oh the photos! Those are the worst!
  • brianx99
    brianx99 Posts: 30
    Options
    whenever my friend talks about someone that was fat, he'd use me as an example...like for instance he'd say "that guy was a little bigger than you" or "that guy was a little smaller than you." i would get pretty annoyed by that always using me as measuring stick for other obese/overweight people. I guess that fueled me to lose weight and not be that "big" guy anymore..i was about 220-230 pounds 5'10 then...he doesn't use me as a measuring stick anymore.

another one that helped me fuel my desire to lose weight was when we went to a theme park with a group of friends...took a bunch of pictures...good lord i must have been 225-230 at that time.

i love carrying my driver's license around because it helps encourage me to lose more weight...when I went to vegas I had to show my ID to sit and play at the black jack tables...all the dealers were shocked to see how much weight I loss and how much better and younger i looked.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    When I had to get a size 14 pant. I wasn't terribly overweight, but for me it was my heaviest. And it killed my self esteem like crazy. Then I started to notice how much larger I was than everyone else around me in photographs and how unhealthy I was.
  • adioschubs
    adioschubs Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    When I was ten years old and everybody weighed themselves at school one day. I was around 150 lbs and probably 5'1 at that point!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    When I had to go out and buy new XL and XXL clothes after I had gotten rid of most of them the LAST time I lost weight. NEVER AGAIN!!!!
  • horseswinelife
    horseswinelife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    There had always been a total disconnect between what I see in the mirror and what I think I look like (I think I am waaaaay "hotter" than I am).

Right???
    Me too! I look at pictures (even when I'm doing snapchat) and wonder WTH? How did this happen!?
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    hm.

When I was about 8-9 and family members would verbally abuse me about it, and then I learned a bunch of other things I also should not be happy with, after that
  • CassiHutchings
    CassiHutchings Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Umm...My second cousin asked me if I was pregnant while rubbing my belly. That kind of confirmed what I had been feeling. Then a few months later my boyfriend (now husband) proposed to me, and his grandpa snapped a picture that changed my life. LOL. I never thought I looked that bad in the mirror, but that picture brought it all home...
  • willwashkuhn
    Options
    Ugh. Not an awesome day.

I had just started my job and a coworker and I went next door to the gym because they were providing our employees with free body tests. After all of the caliper pinchings, my results came back. 31% body fat! I'm an athletic guy, and I thought that number was just not me. I mean, it's almost a third of me that's just useless fat!

I haven't gone back in for another body assessment, but I've lost some weight and put on some muscle, lost 3 inches from my waist and feel like I'm in much better shape. I'll have to set up the next appointment soon!
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I was a chubby kid. Not obese, but kids can be cruel. About 9 or 10 years old and I've had a love/hate relationship with food since. If I'm thin, I want to eat. Then when I eat, I feel guilty. When I gain weight, I feel like there's no point, so I keep eating. It's a vicious circle that never ends. Just once in my life, I'd like to really enjoy food but at almost 60 years old, that ain't gonna happen.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    With 3 stick-thin sisters, I felt overweight as young as 5 y.o.

I lost a bunch of weight when I was 14 y.o kept it off for 25 years.

Then after an accident, my activity level dropped sharply... as I put on weight I didn't feel any different... so I didn't worry.
    All the things I couldn't do any more I attributed to being over 40.

I was amazed at what losing 30 lbs gave me back in my life...

Having a hard time with maintenance, but still at it...
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    When I had to get a size 14 pant. I wasn't terribly overweight, but for me it was my heaviest. And it killed my self esteem like crazy. Then I started to notice how much larger I was than everyone else around me in photographs and how unhealthy I was.

Ah ha! thanks to Vanity Sizing size 14 was not a big deal for me, because back in 1977 when I weighed 125-130 lbs I wore a size 14... but the sizes kept creeping larger and large at the same rate that I kept creeping larger and larger.

I got down to a 2012 size 6, but had 1977 size 14s in my closet that still didn't fit.
  • TheRagnarok
    Options
    Walking in town and seeing a lady who is wearing something that really doesn't suit her frame, only to realise that it's your reflection in a shop window...

That, and not having any trousers left that fit, so all you can wear is your tunic dresses and leggings.
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I was a healthy and fit teenager, but gained a lot of weight between age 18-20. Somewhere in my early twenties, I went to a family birthday party. My uncle blurted out loud "Hey, your *kitten* is getter fatter every time I see you!". I felt so humiliated and devastated. After I got home I cried almost all night, then left the house at 6am in the morning to catch the first bus to go to my doctor. I was sent to a dietician (after having to wait several months to get an appointment), but unfortunately the being-told-what-you-can-eat method didn't work for me.

After that there have been several other defining moments. Seeing a picture of me at my 25th birthday, I was at my highest weight there. Seeing pictures of me standing next to normal sized people. Seeing a picture of me in my bikini was particularly horrifying. Of course I knew I was overweight. I actually kneeled down in the sand for that picture, because I didn't want my big legs to show full-length in the photo. But the actual picture was still shocking. I remember I had forgotten to take it out of the stack of holiday photos, when someone in my family flipped through them, saw it and actually gasped and blurted out "OMG" :sad: