HELP! I'm stuck :(

Options
124»

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thanks, LivingtheLeandream... I think that might be what it is also, seeing as to how I have recently upped my exercise so much. That is what I am reading in several online articles.. I think you are right... :) How many weeks do you think this will last?

For me any time I change me workout routine I can hold on to water weight for 10 to 14 days. The other factor is hormones which also can throw a spanner in the works. You'll know for sure in another few weeks if you don't see a whoosh of water weight disappear by then it will be time to splash out on a set of food scales - best spent £10 ever imo
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

You have to be in a carb deficit if you want your body to start burning any fat.

I do know last week was a carb heavy week for me. (My Blood Glucose readings will attest to that.) Even though I maintained a calorie deficit, I gained 5 pounds. I certainly didn't consume 17500 more calories than I burned over the course of the week.

I'm guessing water, because I was consuming more carbohydrates. My blood glucose, prior to spring break, had been running below 110mg/dL. I was in the 120mg/dL after a weekend in San Antonio. It dropped on Tues-Thurs when I was back home and them back up when I spent a weekend in Memphis. Too many (spelled 3) beers on Beale Street Friday night, and similar on Saturday night.

Back to the gym and bike this week. Less beer and potatoes and more green veggies and workouts.

Half the 5 pounds is gone, likely due to getting rid of the extra glucose I packed into my system over the two weekends and more workouts.

Point being, it's not just calories, but how you get them that will affect your weight. Please note, I'm not saying anything about the fat in my body. I could have lost fat, but stored a pound or two of water as I added 1/4 pound of glucose to my system. The body is able to store about 500g (over 1 pound) of glucose in the form of glycogen in your muscles.

If you deplete that, if I understand correctly, you will also lose the associated 3-4g of water with every gram of glucose not stored.

This is why ketogenic diets can see sudden weight loss and drastic gains when going off the plan. Putting that sugar back in your body calls for the associated water and the weight associated with the combination.

OP says she eats basically the same thing every day. If she were to eat low carb for a week, sure, she might lose 3 lbs of water weight. But once she went back to eating the way she likes to, she'd just gain it back. So I'm not really sure how you think lowering carbs would help her?

And you don't have to be in a "carb deficit" to burn fat, you need to be in a "calorie deficit" to burn fat.

True, to a point. Your body will use available carbs first, then fat, then muscle. Unlocking the energy in each of those sources results in higher and higher CO because it takes more effort to produce the energy you need from fats and protein than it does from carbs. Small, but it is a difference.

Overall, yes, CI < CO results in weight loss.

Actually, I was asking if she made a change in the composition of her diet, consuming more carbs and thereby adding the associated water that comes from going from the lower carb diet to more carbs in her diet. Which is one possible explanation for an apparent weight gain.

I'm probably over thinking it.

As I said, in the long term CI < CO results in weight loss. In the short term, the composition of CI can make your weight fluctuate because you may hold more or less water.

I missed the part where she eats the same thing. If that's the case, then I don't know.

If something has changed.... then what, and what impact does it have?

• anniecate747
    anniecate747 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    everyone has been SO helpful! I agree that weighing food is important... Drea2011, I don't know about eating less... I think I am eating SO much less than I used to... I think tbright and hannah have a point about food choices being varied.. what are some of your favorite recipes? Also, I don't think I am "carb-heavy", and rarely drink beer, but really vodka or white/pinot gris wine if I drink... I have been off red meat since I was 13 (it hurts my stomach), and I'm 37 now... don't eat a lot of bread except the 2 pieces of wheat I have in the A.M. with my fat free yogurt... I'm going to open up my days so you can see... thanks for all the help yall!! <3
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    everyone has been SO helpful! I agree that weighing food is important... Drea2011, I don't know about eating less... I think I am eating SO much less than I used to... I think tbright and hannah have a point about food choices being varied.. what are some of your favorite recipes? Also, I don't think I am "carb-heavy", and rarely drink beer, but really vodka or white/pinot gris wine if I drink... I have been off red meat since I was 13 (it hurts my stomach), and I'm 37 now... don't eat a lot of bread except the 2 pieces of wheat I have in the A.M. with my fat free yogurt... I'm going to open up my days so you can see... thanks for all the help yall!! <3
    The food scale (and proper logging) will tell you for sure how much less (than your maintenance calories) you are eating. Your food diary can be used as a tool to get the most bang for your calorie buck, so that you're not feeling your're denying yourself.

The whole point of recommending variety, is that you're not going to be tied up to any specific recipes, you can eat what you want. It is not "your body [being] used to you eating the same foods everyday" ("woo" means "broscience").

Carb-heavy or not, it's not important in the long run. Calories is what's important in the long run.

Please stop thinking you have to "confess" what you're eating/assert what you're not eating, eating (and drinking) shouldn't be a moral issue, it's about calories and nutrition. And if you want feedback on your diet, open your food diary, instead.
  • Time2LoseTheWait
    Time2LoseTheWait Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Maybe you could add a few me friends for continued support and you would all benefit.
  • Kelleygirl79
    Kelleygirl79 Posts: 71 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    OP: Our stats are virtually identical (except I'm 56). I am 5'6" with a SW of 201. I lost weight to my goal range of 150-155 and have been in maintenance for 3 years. Due to excessive travel, excessive fabulous food and lowered motivation because of all the fun -- over the past 8 months I gained back up to 163. After I had a closet meltdown, I put my head down and got back to the basics -- Back to when I lost all my weight to begin with (it took 8 months). I'm not kidding when I say I had to get DEAD SERIOUS and determined to get this weight off.

FOOD: My losing calorie goal is 1400 (maintenance is around 1800). I weigh EVERYTHING. Every ingredient in the same omelet I've eaten for breakfast for the past 4 years. I prep my foods for lunch (ie: a quinoa salad that every ingredient has been weighed to the gram) so that lunch decision has already been made. I am weak and make poor food choices if I don't plan ahead. I weigh --to the gram -- my vegetables, meat, snacks. I have exactly ZERO willpower over portion control so weighing my food is key to my success.

EXERCISE: I don't belong to a gym (haven't for 15 years) but I'm highly motivated to workout at home. I'm not crazy about cardio (and own a great elliptical) but I'm am a believer in weights and I use my kettlebells almost every day. It only takes 30 minutes OR LESS. Kettlebells (heavy) have made me stronger and more toned than I've ever been in my life. I also cross-country hike a couple times a week and golf regularly. I rarely if ever eat back exercise calories. I pretty much pretend they aren't even there. I'm definitely not a workout fanatic but have found my best activity level.

SCALE: I loathe the scale. I've avoided it my whole life. But I realize it's a tool I need to embrace. I'm definitely a realist and don't let the fluctuations get me down. I waited too long to weigh and catch my 10 lb. gain but I'm proud I FINALLY DID IT and took control. I weigh a couple times a week. When I feel strong. LOL

But I have had fun too! I love food! and over the past couple of months had a couple of family parties that I ate whatever I wanted, a dessert here and there. But I have managed to lose 9 lbs.-- back into my maintenance weight range! And the biggest story [for me] is that I have finally learned after all these years of yo-yo how to manage my weight by staying active with CICO.

I know this is long but our stats are so close I just wanted to share what works for me and I hope you can find your perfect balance too! Use your food scale for success and NEVER GIVE UP!

qsub8h2x3ma4.jpg
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Philly927 wrote: »
    I am not an expert by any means but could part of the issue be that maybe your body has gotten used to the elliptical exercises and you need to switch it up/add more? Maybe the answer isn't less calories but try another workout routine. Keep your body guessing and those calories burning. Also, you have a lot to be happy about since 26 pounds lost is no joke. Be proud. You're doing great :)

Why would the body adapt to her workout. You would burn less calories than you started because of mass loss, but not exercise adaptation me thinks.
  • psychod787
    Options
    Thanks Philly and need2move... I just need some encouragement... I don't want to starve myself. I feel like I am already eating the right amount, and don't always even reach the 1300 calorie mark, especially since the elliptical adds at least 400 calories for 40 minutes, sometimes a bit more depending on how hard I go. Shulerjs, maybe you are right about my body getting used to the "new" me... I have just started doing more exercise. Is it possible that I am just gaining muscle mass??? So frustrated... :(

Also remember, those machines and mfp are just estimates. No way to tell what you really burn outside double water test or to a lesser extent a v02 test.
  • psychod787
    Options
    One last thing, are you resistance training? If not I might suggest it. Not a huge workout calorie burned, but when adjusted for volume lifted, can in crease metabolism by up to 150 cals a day.