My best friend is on another fad diet. I give up.

Options
25lbsorbust
25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Guys, I swear I have tried EVERYTHING to get her to see the CICO light. I gave her a food scale, I showed her the weight I was losing, I told her how easy it was, how you can eat whatever as long as you're under/at your calorie limit for the day. She literally told me that she didn't like counting calories because "[her] food has too many calories in it, and [she] runs out really fast." She didn't see the irony.

She told me yesterday she's doing Dr. Oz's "Pegan" diet now. No weighing, no calorie counting, no definition (that I can find) of what a 'serving' of some of the foods constitutes. I asked her what Dr. Oz meant by a 'cheat day' once a week, or what constituted 'one alcoholic drink'. Mixed drink or single shot? She didn't know. It reminds me of Weight Watchers in all the wrong ways.

Have any of you had any friends taking this route? How did things eventually turn out? Did they ever change? Did the fad diet maybe magically work for them? Should I just let go and let god?

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    It's a bummer, but all you can really do is hope they see the light eventually on their own. Fad diets are like crack to the human brain. Just like "Get Rich Quick" schemes. If she fails enough times, hopefully she'll give calorie counting another shot. But trying to get her there yourself is an exercise in futility.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    FWIW, the Pegan Diet was NOT created by Dr. Oz.

It was a term fashioned by Dr. Mark Hyman who touts this diet in his book: "Food: what the heck should I eat?"

I watched his infomercial on PBS and took notes on it. It's basically a modified paleo, heart healthy diet (that I generally follow) w/a few recommendations that certain people on MFP would woo.

Will be happy to post my notes on it, if anyone is interested.

I believe Dr Oz is currently promoting his "own" version of this diet (if the magazine cover I saw yesterday is any indication).
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hadn't heard of the "Pegan" diet so I looked it up and it looks like a Mediterranean diet with trendy terms slapped on it. Might want to let her know that there are hundreds of free Mediterranean diet plans online if she's planning to blow money on Dr. Oz materials (I assume he's selling a book), otherwise not much to be done.