Doing too much at the gym?

Options
So I'm looking to gain weight and muscle. Im 7 stone 11 and looking to get the 9. I've always had a problem with gaining weight and increasing my calories... Busy lifestyle, family etc. But now I've been using the my fitness app I am getting a bit obsessed with my macros and ensuring I consume enough each day.. Already today I have consumed a healthy 1500 calories. However I am going to the gym 3 times a week and heavy lifting...but I'm finding the day after and 2nd day the DOMS are actually excruciating! Whilst I'm at the gym I don't feel too bad and not completely worn out, but the day after (like today) I can barely lift my little girl and all I want to do is sleep! I'm eating properly and taking nutrients..and feel so deflated that I am doing something wrong.
Can anyone give me a bit of advice please.

Thank you x

Replies

• andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    A few questions:
    What does your lifting program look like?
    And how long have you been doing it/what have you been doing before?
    Are you having strength progress in the gym?
    How many calories are you consuming daily and what are your macros like?
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Also: How much per night are you sleeping?
  • lyzastra
    lyzastra Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Between 5-7 hours. I know I'm probably going to be burnt at the stake for that. But with a little one it's hard to get a complete night's sleep. Could it be lack of recovery time I. E. Sleep?
  • lyzastra
    Options
    andreaen wrote: »
    A few questions:
    What does your lifting program look like?
    And how long have you been doing it/what have you been doing before?
    Are you having strength progress in the gym?
    How many calories are you consuming daily and what are your macros like?

Lifting 2 /3 times a week for 30-45 mins. Been a month since I started but I've done bodybuilding on and off for about 5 years.
    I am having strength process and I am trying to consume between 2000-2500 calls a day. 50% carbs, 25% fat and 25% protein. I've looked a tad macro calculators and that's what it's telling me to consume with my weight goal. X
  • Katiebear_81
    Options
    Personally, I don't get a lot of DOMS, but I do the intra-workout thing with BCAA's. I don't know if that contributes.

Not sure how old your kids are, but could you sneak in a nap? I feel awful when I'm lifting heavy and not sleeping enough.
  • lyzastra
    Options
    She's three so at an age where she isn't napping a lot through the day she's a great sleeper at night so I think earlier nights are a must if this is what I'm going to feel like with less sleep!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Are you following a specific lifting program? Or are you doing it on your own?
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for you personally but my workout recovery is absolute garbage when I don't get enough sleep. I have five kids, and my 11 month old and 4 year old like to tag team at night. I also have insomnia that wakes me up in the middle of the night. I definitely recommend getting to bed earlier if you can. It makes a big difference for me.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    How much water? And are you just doing whatever in the gym or an actual lifting program?
  • lyzastra
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Are you following a specific lifting program? Or are you doing it on your own?

Not a specific one, I'm going to the gym with my husband or on my own
  • lyzastra
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    How much water? And are you just doing whatever in the gym or an actual lifting program?

Lots and lots of water! I do legs one day, back and shoulders and abs other days. I am just getting back into it
  • lyzastra
    Options
    I can't speak for you personally but my workout recovery is absolute garbage when I don't get enough sleep. I have five kids, and my 11 month old and 4 year old like to tag team at night. I also have insomnia that wakes me up in the middle of the night. I definitely recommend getting to bed earlier if you can. It makes a big difference for me.

Thank you, I am also a sufferer of insomnia and find some nights I spend hours staring at the ceiling... I thought getting back in the gym would help that but I find it can get worse
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    lyzastra wrote: »

Thank you, I am also a sufferer of insomnia and find some nights I spend hours staring at the ceiling... I thought getting back in the gym would help that but I find it can get worse

Melatonin is a natural sleep aide and works really well for me. I take 10-15 mg a lot of nights.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I think you've already hit the nail on the head. SLEEP! You needs lots and lots of sleep with heavy lifting I've found. Although some of it is just getting back in the game as well. In another few weeks I'm sure you won't be as sore. Also, are you only hitting each muscle group once a week? You might need a bit more frequency to avoid getting as sore.
  • Katiebear_81
    Options
    I think that if you started working a specific lifting program, your muscles will start to "know" what to expect, and your DOMS will decrease (maybe? YMMV).

But yeah - sleep. Sleep as much as you can!
  • lyzastra
    Options
    I think that if you started working a specific lifting program, your muscles will start to "know" what to expect, and your DOMS will decrease (maybe? YMMV).

But yeah - sleep. Sleep as much as you can!

Sorry to sound ridiculous but what is YMMV?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I very rarely suggest any supplements as most are a waste of money. But I have actually found that a BCAA supplement (I prefer to drink it intra workout) does cut down a bit on the length of time I stay sore.

The only other supplement I can think of would be creatine.
  • Katiebear_81
    Options
    Your mileage may vary. So that was my experience once I switched to Strong Lifts (and now run a powerlifting program from my coach), but you may not have the same results as me. :)