Doing too much at the gym?

Options

Replies

• lyzastra
    lyzastra Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I very rarely suggest any supplements as most are a waste of money. But I have actually found that a BCAA supplement (I prefer to drink it intra workout) does cut down a bit on the length of time I stay sore.

The only other supplement I can think of would be creatine.

Already taking creatine. 3 before and 3 after workout
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    lyzastra wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I very rarely suggest any supplements as most are a waste of money. But I have actually found that a BCAA supplement (I prefer to drink it intra workout) does cut down a bit on the length of time I stay sore.

The only other supplement I can think of would be creatine.

Already taking creatine. 3 before and 3 after workout

Are you loading or at maintenance?
  • lyzastra
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    How much water? And are you just doing whatever in the gym or an actual lifting program?

Lots and lots of water! I do legs one day, back and shoulders and abs other days. I am just getting back into it

What about your anterior side? No wonder you're sore. You're just getting back onto it. Do us all a favour. Do a real program. Give that 2-3 months and then come back if you have questions

Wow...thankyou for making me feel so welcome to the forum.
  • lyzastra
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    So it could be that your body struggles to recovery with the loads that you are trying to do, or your program is inadequate. Why not get on a structured program to see if it's a programming issue. For me, I can't do 3x full body routines, because no matter how I time nutrients or consume quality calories, my body just doesn't allow. What I found to be better was to get on an upper/lower split.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thank you. I'll take a look.
  • lyzastra
    Options
    How much water? And are you just doing whatever in the gym or an actual lifting program?

Lots and lots of water! I do legs one day, back and shoulders and abs other days. I am just getting back into it

What about your anterior side? No wonder you're sore. You're just getting back onto it. Do us all a favour. Do a real program. Give that 2-3 months and then come back if you have questions

Wow...thankyou for making me feel so welcome to the forum.

Aha don't get all uptight. That's a real piece of advice. You shouldn't waste your time on some random thing you made. You wouldn't fix something you know nothing about. So why would you make a program with no knowledge of progression schemes and structure?

You are 100% welcome on these. But what I'm saying is put your time into something worthwhile that was made to reach a goal. Why do you Think so many people asked if you were on a real program?

My post was asking advice on why I could be feeling fatigued when I feel I am doing everything right when I've finished in the gym. I had a PT two years ago who put me on a program and after I would train I still felt as bad as I did when I wasn't on a program. If a program is something I need to go on to ensure I don't suffer DOMS as badly then that's what I'll do...thats why I am here. I'm not here to annoy anyone by asking stupid questions.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Some people are just more susceptible to DOMS. But I would still try a "tried and true" program for a few months and see if it eases or not. :)
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I get DOMS often. Some people get them more. For recovery adequate protein, at least eating maintenance, and sleep help me the most. Still have them at times but not as bad.

Now I do agree that a change in programming may help. I like others do not tolerate full body workouts well. I do love an upper/lower split. If your new to lifting I do recommend one of the beginner programs from the link above. They all work well and they are made with recovery in mind.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    One way following a program could help is that you would probably do the same exercises week after week. If you keep doing new exercises every workout that could absolutely cause more DOMS. Not saying you should only do the same few exercises every time, but keeping a handful of exercises that you do for the heaviest lifts can be a good idea. Also I find I get more sore if I do heavier reps or many sets per muscle group, so keeping it to at most 12 reps for 6-9 sets (3 sets per exercise for 3 exercises) could be worth trying to see if it works :)
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a program going. Strong lifts is a popular one.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    To cut down on soreness (without supplements) you might want to stick to a program like others have mentioned (main point really is sticking to exercises you perform regularly to gauge progress/progressive overload and adapt to soreness). Upping training frequency slowly will also help adapting to DOMS. Agreed with others about recovery/sleep optimization too
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    To cut down on soreness (without supplements) you might want to stick to a program like others have mentioned (main point really is sticking to exercises you perform regularly to gauge progress/progressive overload and adapt to soreness). Upping training frequency slowly will also help adapting to DOMS. Agreed with others about recovery/sleep optimization too

Eh another 1 for a structured program. I guess I'm not just some *kitten* hole throwing poor advice out there. What are the odds. It's almost like in my 3+ years of lifting I actually learned some valuable information.

Your body adapts to stimulus resulting in less soreness. If there's a constant change of stimulus how is it supposed to adapt?
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

This. I found that stretching and foam rolling after my workout helps, too, and I find that moving around - just walking - really helps. Seems like staying still really ups the DOMs ante for me.
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »

This. I found that stretching and foam rolling after my workout helps, too, and I find that moving around - just walking - really helps. Seems like staying still really ups the DOMs ante for me.

I will second that... I fell asleep for a nap on the couch while channel surfing and woke up with all the DOMS that I thought had finished the previous day. Perfectly fine in the morning and while I was out walking to do my errands, then I fell asleep for about an hour and woke up with stiff legs, traps, and lower back.
    It took walking to the gym and hitting an arm day for it all to loosen back up.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Get on a program. I've done trainers programs and unless they're a certified coach with lifters who compete, they're garbage. And most of what I see people do in the gym on their own, is garbage.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad. But there's a reason why people who are successful are successful. They run established programs.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »

I will second that... I fell asleep for a nap on the couch while channel surfing and woke up with all the DOMS that I thought had finished the previous day. Perfectly fine in the morning and while I was out walking to do my errands, then I fell asleep for about an hour and woke up with stiff legs, traps, and lower back.
    It took walking to the gym and hitting an arm day for it all to loosen back up.

Hah, leg day followed by laying on the couch the rest of the day is a sure fire way to not be able to walk the next day...always some light cardio after