• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    "nvmomketo wrote:
    I am guessing that there are some keto top athletes out there, but I have no idea who they could be since I don't watch sports.

For someone guessing and with no interest in sport you sure do promote your ideas about sport with remarkable frequency and enthusiasm!

I never said that I have no interest in sports (well in some sports I have little interest but that's normal).

I said that "I don't watch sports". I participate.
    Which sports are these that you are participating in?
    (Having a private profile means I can't see your exercise diary.)

I pretty sure you said previously you had to give up sports due to arthritis so that's a happy turnaround in health.

To put it more clearly, I participated in many sports and still do to a lesser degree depending on how much I want to pay for it over the next few days or weeks.

Now, I mainly walk, do lifting when my arthralgias in my shoulders and hands allow it, and play basketball with the teen boys team I coach (and to a shorter and lesser degree, soccer). There is no happy turn around. I was playing some basketball on Tuesday, I turned wrong and my worse osteoarthritic hip gave out so now I can feel my hip pain down my thigh when motionless and on Advil... It's the main reason that I have spent too much time on here over the last 36 hours. :weary:

In the past, I played basketball, volleyball, soccer, cross country, track&field and rowed on my university's team. In my spare time I ran a few races a year and hiked the Rockies in the summer. I last played on a team in about 2014. Now I just do some P90X and other BeachBody videos, but not as much as I'd like. There are two hip replacements and then knee replacements in my next few years. Thanks for asking. :smirk:
    Thanks for the clarification.

I'm feeling quite fortunate I've only got a single TKR and spinal fusion as possibles on my horizon.....
    Wish you well in managing your pain - I do have empathy for your situation as it's familiar to me too, it's not a lot of fun having to balance pain versus quality of life.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I understand that a lot of the initial weight loss is simply water weight. I dont think it is healthy to cut out fruit the way keto diets do. There are so many beneficial vitamins in fruit that make it worth eating to me. If you are a fat and meat lover and can give up carbs long term then it might work for you but if go back to carbs the weight will just come back.

I do keto and my favorite breakfast is an avocado and half a box of raspberries. You don't have to cut out fruit; you just have to look for ways to fit it in. I'm eating some blueberries right now, along with a soup that's at least 70% veggies by volume, even though the 30% makes up the vast majority of its calories. I've also had a couple of ounces each of pineapple and strawberries today. I eat leafy greens by the fistful. Do you really think I'm missing out on vitamins?

There are plenty of different ways to get your body into ketosis. You can eat nothing but steak and eggs all day; sure. But if, like me, you would typically devote a lot of calories to grains, starches, and sugar, you'd have plenty of calories to redistribute on a keto diet. Many of them will certainly go to fats, and some to protein; that still leaves quite a bit of room for low-calorie, high-fiber, vitamin-rich fruits and vegetables.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I did not like super low carb, personally. I think you might enjoy a diet with more flexibility a whole lot more and find it easier to stick with long term. Some of my friends love KETO, though...and totally swear by it.

You can lose your weight without it, though. It isn't something you particularly need.

The sports stuff is pretty interesting. I don't know any football players who did KETO...Judo and bjj people and boxers and track people. They all eat tons of carbs. The football guys at UNC were ridiculous...they would eat like piles of biscuits and huge plates of eggs and all kinds of nonsense...crazy. Those are big boys, though. Kind of an extreme example.

Maybe if they had done KETO they would play better UNC always blows at football :D

I know hockey players in my city eat a *kitten* ton of pasta.