Went to a Registered Dietician. WOW!

Options
1235»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    dietitians are like *kitten* they are everywhere.....

if you are not losing on 1800 I don't see how you will lose on 2100....
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You have Hypertension not Diabetes the diet she gave you sounds perfectly correct....your probably seeing her at the Diabetes care center because that's where your insurance provider goes through....sounds to me she is trying to get your heart healthy and your weigh under control one step at a time. I would stick with her plan and if you doubt it talk to her.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I was recently put on high blood pressure pills. I've been fighting borderline hypertension for the last 25 years. I can use to lose around 40-45 pounds and have been on and off MFP for the last 2 years. To make a long story short, I had my Dr. refer me to the Diabetes clinic at the local hospital to see a registered dietician. I'm a bit confused on what she told me to do. I had been on a modest high protein, vegetable, low carb eating plan for a while now. Not losing any weight and eating around 1800-2000 calories a day. That is what MFP has me at for my height and weight. (5'10" 238 pounds). For the most part I am keeping within the different categories, keeping sodium under 1200 a day and struggling to keep sugar around 40 which once again is what MFP has set.

The dietician told me to get 45% of my calories from carbs, 25% from protein and 30% from fat. This is based off 2100 calories per day. Does this sound right to the MFP community? That would allow me 2 oz of protein per meal if I were to eat 5 small meals a day. Honestly 2 oz is not really worth it. That's not even a forkful of chicken breast....crazy. The other thing that shocked me was this was coming from a diabetic clinic. My father has been a diabetic for over 40 years and they tell him to limit the carbs due to insulin resistance. Once again strange.

Can maybe some of you explain this to me so I can better understand something that I might have missed.
    Thank you for the advice.
    FATBOY235

Two ounces of protein is a LOT if you're making a stir fry, or sushi. :)
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have to chime in here since I am a Registered Dietitian. She gave you sound advice. 45% Carbs is very reasonable for a Diabetic. Not sure you are Diabetic though? The lowest I would rec. is 40% of your calories from Carbs. Why not increase your Protein amounts at lunch and Dinner to 3 oz each, a more standard size serving, have 2 oz at B-Fast and 1 oz each for your two snacks. Your calorie goal sounds perfect too. I came up with 2200 calories per day to lose 2 lb per week, so very close. If your not losing weight then try bumping down to 2000 calories per day after 2 weeks. Also be sure to get adequate fiber in your diet 25-30g per day and plenty of water. Good luck in meeting your health and weight loss goals!

In addition, 3 oz of protein is approx. the size of a deck of cards or the size of your fist. Even if one is not Diabetic, a Diabetic Meal Plan is a very healthy eating plan for many individuals who are trying to lose weight.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Do you believe a Registerd Health Professional or loads of random people on an internet forum who think they are experts ..................... Hmmm I know what one I'd go for

Dr. Oz?

LOL

Sorry, I couldnt help myself.

For what it's worth, I do agree with you.:flowerforyou:
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Just so happens Im going to the local bariatric center tomorrow to have my RMR checked. The price of the RMR test includes a consultation with the RD so maybe I will learn something pertinent to this thread.

One thing my GP always says and it makes sense; people arent precision machines and their systems are unique from one to the other, there are too many variables being influence by many dynamics- genetics, environment, diet, lifestyle, etc....there is no dipstick to indicate that 1 quart will correct the problem.

A lot of medicine is hunt and peck until something works. Took us 5 years plus a cardiologist & a lot of frustration before we found a med that worked to control my BP and we were about to give up.

There are some very good healthcare professionals and there are some bad ones (remember, 50% graduated in the bottom half of their class) So practice due diligence; but give the professional's advice a chance.
  • Eandretta96
    Options
    Lol at people believing someone with an MD is automatically correct about everything. Sometimes you just have to do your own research. Believe it or not, the biggest bullchit I've heard has been from doctors and nutritionists. Unless that doctor takes time out of his day to research and not just go by what they learned in medical school 1000 years ago, don't think what they say is carved in stone. Either way, people will always disagree with me.

Edit: I know this ^ doesn't exactly go with the OP but it's more for the people saying that "you shouldn't doubt the dietician."
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I have to chime in here since I am a Registered Dietitian. She gave you sound advice. 45% Carbs is very reasonable for a Diabetic. Not sure you are Diabetic though? The lowest I would rec. is 40% of your calories from Carbs. Why not increase your Protein amounts at lunch and Dinner to 3 oz each, a more standard size serving, have 2 oz at B-Fast and 1 oz each for your two snacks. Your calorie goal sounds perfect too. I came up with 2200 calories per day to lose 2 lb per week, so very close. If your not losing weight then try bumping down to 2000 calories per day after 2 weeks. Also be sure to get adequate fiber in your diet 25-30g per day and plenty of water. Good luck in meeting your health and weight loss goals!

In addition, 3 oz of protein is approx. the size of a deck of cards or the size of your fist. Even if one is not Diabetic, a Diabetic Meal Plan is a very healthy eating plan for many individuals who are trying to lose weight.

OK - I have a question ..if OP is not losing on 1800 how will she lose at a recommended increase to 2100 eating 300 more calories a day, 2100 calories a week. By my math, that is little over a half pound increase per week....
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

OK - I have a question ..if OP is not losing on 1800 how will she lose at a recommended increase to 2100 eating 300 more calories a day, 2100 calories a week. By my math, that is little over a half pound increase per week....

I'd be interested to hear people's answers to this, especially from the "calories are all that matter" crowd.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Still sat here with a big smile :-)
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I wonder where the OP went...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I wonder where the OP went...

OP came back on this page
    No diabetes yet, but have had borderling hypertension since I was 15 i'm now 42. Was put on high blood pressure meds about a month ago
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I was recently put on high blood pressure pills. I've been fighting borderline hypertension for the last 25 years. I can use to lose around 40-45 pounds and have been on and off MFP for the last 2 years. To make a long story short, I had my Dr. refer me to the Diabetes clinic at the local hospital to see a registered dietician. I'm a bit confused on what she told me to do. I had been on a modest high protein, vegetable, low carb eating plan for a while now. Not losing any weight and eating around 1800-2000 calories a day. That is what MFP has me at for my height and weight. (5'10" 238 pounds). For the most part I am keeping within the different categories, keeping sodium under 1200 a day and struggling to keep sugar around 40 which once again is what MFP has set.

The dietician told me to get 45% of my calories from carbs, 25% from protein and 30% from fat. This is based off 2100 calories per day. Does this sound right to the MFP community? That would allow me 2 oz of protein per meal if I were to eat 5 small meals a day. Honestly 2 oz is not really worth it. That's not even a forkful of chicken breast....crazy. The other thing that shocked me was this was coming from a diabetic clinic. My father has been a diabetic for over 40 years and they tell him to limit the carbs due to insulin resistance. Once again strange.

Can maybe some of you explain this to me so I can better understand something that I might have missed.
    Thank you for the advice.
    FATBOY235

those are pretty balanced macros, I eat 40% carb, 30% protein and 30% fat when tracking.

25% of calories from protein = 2100/4 = 525 cals/day from protein = 131g protein a day... that's a lot of protein. I don't know how you got from that to "not even a forkful of chicken breast" ....

I think you're confusing grams of protein with grams of food.

131g protein divided by 6 = 22g protein per meal. That's about 4 eggs; that's not a small serving of protein food. It doesn't mean 22g of food containing protein per meal... it means 22g of actual protein which would require quite a lot more than 22g of food to get. i.e. a lot more than "barely a forkful of chicken breast". That's more like the entire chicken breast (though obviously it depends on how big it is). Personally I aim for 130g protein a day and find it *really* difficult to eat enough protein, my protein often tops out in the low 100s. And I include high protein foods in every meal.

Also, you don't have to eat 6 meals a day if you don't want to.

It's important to distinguish between % of calories, and % of food weight or volume. If you eat 30% fat by food volume you'll be overeating by a lot. It's 30% of calories and as fat is more calorie dense than the other macros, the fat you eat is quite a bit less than 30% of the quantity of food you eat. Macronutrient ratios are percentages of calories.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Im curious why they refered you to a diabetic clinic, unless they are worried about you developing diabeties?

Hypertension can be a result from prediabeties (so can a few other problems). So you may not be full blown diabetic but you could be itching there.

Ask them if they are worried about you becoming diabetic?
  • ndj1979
    Options

hmmm the "dietician" never came back to answer..interesting...
  • nleighp
    nleighp Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Do you believe a Registerd Health Professional or loads of random people on an internet forum who think they are experts ..................... Hmmm I know what one I'd go for

This.