Women, would you take this offensively?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I think it would have been more polite of him to offer to help without the condescension, but I wouldn't find it offensive if someone stated that I can't lift something that I can't lift. That's just a true statement. I would have said something like, "I can't lift this much yet, but I have to start somewhere." I guess I'm fortunate in that people at my gym either just ignore me or say encouraging things.
  • fitinthirteen
    Options
    First, I totally agree- I am intimidated by the weight room and the guys in there! BUT- I also know that my insecurity will make me read things the wrong way, and help is help. As we become more confident in doing something new, we show everyone- including ourselves- that we CAN do it! I won't let my insecurity- or intimidation from someone else- stop me from learning something new! That's what this is about, self tranformation!! Lift those weights- and next time you'll know how to add the pounds on the bar:-)
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I personally would have been SO relieved that someone came to my aid. I would not have taken offense to that. The weights intimidate me because I don't know how to use those machines. If someone wanted to help me out at the gym, I would be grateful. While all the other people just sat there watching you struggle, at least one person offered to help.
  • Tahitidreamz
    Options
    Women in general are sensitive beings men are direct. They don't think about how to be sensitive until after the fact. However why are you ashamed about being a woman? If you can't do something it doesn't make you weak. We all lack in areas but it is our mindset that determines our capabilities. Sweets just put on your big girl panties and be elated you didn't have a strain . I would have played it off and asked for a number. Haha but I'm single. Lol
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I would be more likely to get annoyed by some strong looking guys watching me struggle with a weight.

But then, I would just ask. Same when I need to get the TRX suspension kit back onto the rack when someones taken it off. I am too short to get it back over the top bar, so I ask someone who's tall.
  • Gettinfit242
    Gettinfit242 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling about not quite sure what to do in there... but truthfully most guys will help you out, and i agree men are just blunt, they arent like us and dont think about feelings or how we might take something..i think he was being nice and helping! Id much rather some dude tell me what im doing or not doing right in the weigh room than to laugh at me cause im clueless. and you will find that most men will gladly help you out at the gym, they really do like when a chick tries to keep fit and takes care of herself!
  • Gettinfit242
    Gettinfit242 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    HAHA i asked this big dude the other day WTH i was doing wrong with one machine for legs... he came right over and showed me, giggled a little and told me i if needed any help to let him know! LOL id rather someone show me the right way or help me, than to waste my time doing something wrong that wont be effective! im ok with them getting a chuckle at my expense! HAHA