Irrational Fears

Options
SabotageinStilettos
SabotageinStilettos Posts: 4,833 Member
Pretty self explanatory, what are your irrational fears?

I have always being afraid to lick an envelope for fear that somehow I would papercut my eye ball. Until self adhesive envelopes became a thing, I would only ever tape an envelope closed.

Replies

• 123tacos
    123tacos Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I also cannot bare to watch anyone just linger at the top of any staircase. One slight misstep and bam, you’re going to die.

I have a fear of stairs too...but it came about late one night walking down the steps with my new born...slipped, hit the stairs so hard my baby popped out of my arms...ive panic attacks around stairs ever since then lol...
  • princess7955
    princess7955 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I can't watch anyone use a knife. Especially chopping or slicing (eg. limes, etc). Even highly trained chefs!
    I also can't watch anyone use a slicer to slice meat. The deli is a scary place for me!

I also have an irrational fear of people in my family having some undiagnosed condition. Sometimes the "what if's" are scarier than real life.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I have a fear of making telephone calls. I need to talk myself into it for about an hour and mentally prepare myself. Receiving calls is fine, no problem. But making the call is a nightmare. I break into a sweat, my heart races, I pace up and down and get out of breath. Odd

I do the very same thing but sometimes, even if the phone is in my hand, I won’t answer a call knowing damn well I’m going to have to return it and that gives me even more anxiety about it.

I'd rather just send a text saying sorry I missed your call (and hope it wasn't important enough that they phone back)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    spiders <shudder>
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    tamlou89 wrote: »
    I won't go in the sea because of fish lol

I won’t set foot in any water that I can see through

Oh same...I will only swim in pools, period. Snake fear strikes again I guess.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Spiders

And every time I put Dora in reverse I am scared to death that I will see someone standing in my back up camera screen, with a knife and a mask waiting to kill me. Every damn time.
  • Krysi150
    Krysi150 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Spiders. It has gotten worse as I get older. I no longer scream I freeze. Can't move, can barely breathe. Was locked out of my house for more than an hour b/c a spider was on the door handle. I jumped out of a moving car last year b/c a spider was on the dash. I was driving. I know it irrational but it is what it is!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Flying Spiders.
  • RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    Options
    Birds. I had one attack my head once. Scariest thing ever. I can still remember what the claws felt like on my scalp.