Vegan, or vegetarian anyone?

Replies

• NerdyFlex
    NerdyFlex Posts: 1,672 Member
    edited April 2018
    I’m just curious, has being vegetarian/vegan made it difficult to build muscle? I’ve strongly considered giving it a try, but I worry about losing protein. Any advice is appreciated
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 521 Member
    Vegan-leaning vegetarian (occasional egg/dairy cheats) 28+years now.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,363 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2018
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    I’m just curious, has being vegetarian/vegan made it difficult to build muscle? I’ve strongly considered giving it a try, but I worry about losing protein. Any advice is appreciated

Its a bit harder and you need to be more particular. Most plant based proteins are low in leucine as compared to meats and dairy. In many cases, to get the equivalent leucine content of 30g of whey, you'd need 40 - 50g of plant based proteins. Soy has good leucine content and its near equivalent to whey. So if you don't mind a lot of soy, that would be your base source.

It certainly can be done, just like using bro-splits but its not as effective.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,610 Member
    Ovo-lacto vegetarian, but only for 43 years and a little - since summer 1974. We'll see whether it sticks, I guess. ;)
  • dawnfireice1
    dawnfireice1 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm making curry lentils with potatoes and peas over millet for dinner. Nom
  • vegannyc
    vegannyc Posts: 1 Member
    Vegan here

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Recovering pescatarian here :)

I'm trying to eat meat- I can manage bacon, sometimes chicken, and some pepperoni. I mostly eat fish and plant based foods.

• NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Vegetarian. However, I have started eating eggs for the protein.
  • saralynnmiller
    saralynnmiller Posts: 8 Member
    I would love to make new vegan friends! Feel free to add me!
  • thistangleofthorns
    thistangleofthorns Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2018
    100% Vegan, 6 years. Any other vegans should feel free to add me! :)
  • Hipp706
    Hipp706 Posts: 28 Member
    Vegan here
  • driven_fox
    driven_fox Posts: 2 Member
    I am also a vegan. I do have lots of energy and tend to gain muscle the same if I was to eat meat. You can get protein from tofu, beans, nuts, butters, lots of other plants sources. :)
  • ladypetrushka_
    ladypetrushka_ Posts: 8 Member
    Vegan here :) specifically whole foods, plant based. I do it for ethical reasons as well as health.
  • paulawriteslove
    paulawriteslove Posts: 195 Member
    Vegan :) Feel free to add me!!!
  • pb_judy2017
    pb_judy2017 Posts: 1 Member
    Vegan, following a WFPB diet.
  • sunnygirl87
    sunnygirl87 Posts: 40 Member
    Wfpb vegan☺️❤️

YEAH!!! ME TOO! I guess I am a complete convert? No added oil, salt, sugar. For the weight loss win!
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    edited May 2018
    raises hand! I just went vegetarian in January! It's been awesome so far. Love the way I am feeling, and my skin.... ah, it glows! Feel free to add me!! I would love other plant eaters in my friends list!