Vegan, or vegetarian anyone?

Replies

• AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    I’m just curious, has being vegetarian/vegan made it difficult to build muscle? I’ve strongly considered giving it a try, but I worry about losing protein. Any advice is appreciated

I've actually gained muscle quicker since I went Vegetarian. It's kinda cool.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,363 MFP Moderator
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    I’m just curious, has being vegetarian/vegan made it difficult to build muscle? I’ve strongly considered giving it a try, but I worry about losing protein. Any advice is appreciated

I've actually gained muscle quicker since I went Vegetarian. It's kinda cool.

Out of curiosity, how are you determining that you are gaining muscle easier?
  • zetadoubleu
    zetadoubleu Posts: 1 Member
    I have been trying a vegan diet for about 7 weeks now. Struggling with protein because I'm also avoiding soy. I was thinking of trying a protein powder, does anyone have any tips for getting more protein in while still staying lower calorie??
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I have been trying a vegan diet for about 7 weeks now. Struggling with protein because I'm also avoiding soy. I was thinking of trying a protein powder, does anyone have any tips for getting more protein in while still staying lower calorie??

I found soy (specifically tofu) to be a great protein source while I was lower calorie, but if you can't have it I recommend trying seitan. It's very high in protein.

I'm assuming you're also eating beans?
  • HannahCameron1854
    HannahCameron1854 Posts: 18 Member
    Vegan!! Love animals ❤
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    I just came to post a discussion thread looking for fellow vegans and found this!

Feel free to add me, I'm looking for more vegan friends (I find it saddening to look at the diaries of carnists and see all the animal products they have).

I try to follow a whole foods plant based diet, with no added oil and low sugar and salt (working on this!) I get such a thrill from looking at my diary and seeing 0 cholesterol (I even changed my daily goal to 0).
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member

Good luck on 7 weeks in! Have you noticed any changes in your body since going vegan?

What is your protein goal? If you're eating a varied whole foods diet then protein shouldn't be a concern. My daily goal is only 10-15% of calories from protein.

I find beans to be a great source, and vegetables, nuts and seeds. I also make my own seitan which is the protein from wheat (you can buy it or make it yourself). Here is a seitan recipe I use but modify slightly: https://www.theedgyveg.com/2012/11/05/how-to-make-basic-seitan/
    Yes, vital wheat gluten might sound weird, as does nutritional yeast but they're both common in vegan cooking and delicious!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,610 Member
    EHisCDN wrote: »

Good luck on 7 weeks in! Have you noticed any changes in your body since going vegan?

What is your protein goal? If you're eating a varied whole foods diet then protein shouldn't be a concern. My daily goal is only 10-15% of calories from protein.

I find beans to be a great source, and vegetables, nuts and seeds. I also make my own seitan which is the protein from wheat (you can buy it or make it yourself). Here is a seitan recipe I use but modify slightly: https://www.theedgyveg.com/2012/11/05/how-to-make-basic-seitan/
    Yes, vital wheat gluten might sound weird, as does nutritional yeast but they're both common in vegan cooking and delicious!

Nutritional requirements for plant-based eaters are no different from those for omnivores, no matter how many fringe vegan advocacy sites claim otherwise.

(I'm a long-term vegetarian, not a "big meat" shill. But facts are facts, and health via nutrition is important.)
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Vegan here:D if anyone has trouble getting protein in their diet feel free to add me as I’m currently eating at 150g of protein a day and have been for a long time now.
  • jessicarose22492
    jessicarose22492 Posts: 59 Member
    I've been vegetarian for 10 years - transiting to vegan as we speak (i'm about 80% there).
  • lolakinks
    lolakinks Posts: 367 Member
    Vegetarian for 4.5 years.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,363 MFP Moderator
    EHisCDN wrote: »

Based on multiple meta analyses, a person should be aiming for 1.5 - 2.2g/kg during weight loss. A goal of 10-15% can be vastly deficient of that.
  • whhuynh90
    whhuynh90 Posts: 33 Member
    vegan since Sept 2017.
  • WonderVegan
    WonderVegan Posts: 3 Member
    I've been vegan for 3 years, and vegetarian 2 years before that. Add me. :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Vegan here
  • breemariee920
    breemariee920 Posts: 10 Member
    Vegan here
  • debrakay001
    debrakay001 Posts: 8 Member
    carriels7 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone is vegan or vegetarian. Would love to communicate

• MountainRnnr
    MountainRnnr Posts: 1 Member
    Vegetarian for 23 years.
  • carriels7
    carriels7 Posts: 39 Member
    WOW. So many vegans, vegetarians, and WFPB people!! I had just started the Whole Foods deal, then got diverted by colon operation, and now back in it. I mean the SAD diet probably caused my colon issues so on to health!!

Anyone having success losing weight with vegan or WFPB? There are many theories - Dr Furhman is more vegetables, little starch - Campbell &Esselton are whole grains but no oils - Dr Gregor is beans, whole grains and the healthy 12 foods the daily dozen. Which do you follow? I’m trying to avoid all processed foods and cut back on oils. SLOW weight loss and still in recovery mode so can’t tell if feeling better yet. Drs and nurses kept pushing Protein protein.

Dinner is difficult but got done ideas from people here. Keeping it simple.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,610 Member
    carriels7 wrote: »
    WOW. So many vegans, vegetarians, and WFPB people!! I had just started the Whole Foods deal, then got diverted by colon operation, and now back in it. I mean the SAD diet probably caused my colon issues so on to health!!

Anyone having success losing weight with vegan or WFPB? There are many theories - Dr Furhman is more vegetables, little starch - Campbell &Esselton are whole grains but no oils - Dr Gregor is beans, whole grains and the healthy 12 foods the daily dozen. Which do you follow? I’m trying to avoid all processed foods and cut back on oils. SLOW weight loss and still in recovery mode so can’t tell if feeling better yet. Drs and nurses kept pushing Protein protein.

Dinner is difficult but got done ideas from people here. Keeping it simple.

I pretty much did this one, though it lacks the cachet of those you mention:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

Worked fine to lose 50+ pounds in less than a year as a vegetarian, though. All my health stats (cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.) went from bad to solidly normal, joint pain reduced, and more.

While healing from surgery, or losing weight, among other things, the protein is a good idea.