Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Calorie in calorie out method is outdated

Options

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    sokkache wrote: »
    Thank you all for helping my curiosity. I posted this with a question. Any thoughts? And I guess apparently I didn't do my research so thanks I will read all the articles you have posted about this because I am just genuinely curious about the chemistry of it not the weight loss.

An excellent detector of woo is generalized, non-specific statements that on the surface appear to contradict, but simply do not stand up to investigative rigor.

TEF is real; however the actual difference does not exceed the error in instrumentation. Same with metabolic adaptation, microbiome variance, hormone variance, adaptive thermogenesis, etc.

To put this into real numbers the amount of variance would go something like this:

Calculated calorie content in an apple = 80 kcals

Patient A's caloric use = 78
    Patient B's caloric use = 80
    Patient C's caloric use = 81

Bear in mind the instrument error in the detection device is +/- 3%, so error range puts this to 78 - 82 kcals.

This is the variance that allegedly "invalidates" CICO.

I thought TEF was more about the 80 cals in an apple requiring 20 cals to digest, and thus supplying a net of 60 cals of energy to the body (just using round numbers for conversation)... so when talking about difference in TEF, it's not person to person, it's comparing the TEF of that apple to the TEF of gummy bears or a ribeye.

So proponents of this would say something like, "eating xyz foods increases fat loss because those foods require more energy to digest than do abc foods".. completely ignoring the fact that, while factually true, the difference is still insignificant in the scope of an overall diet.

Am I mistaken?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Thank you all for helping my curiosity. I posted this with a question. Any thoughts? And I guess apparently I didn't do my research so thanks I will read all the articles you have posted about this because I am just genuinely curious about the chemistry of it not the weight loss.

An excellent detector of woo is generalized, non-specific statements that on the surface appear to contradict, but simply do not stand up to investigative rigor.

TEF is real; however the actual difference does not exceed the error in instrumentation. Same with metabolic adaptation, microbiome variance, hormone variance, adaptive thermogenesis, etc.

To put this into real numbers the amount of variance would go something like this:

Calculated calorie content in an apple = 80 kcals

Patient A's caloric use = 78
    Patient B's caloric use = 80
    Patient C's caloric use = 81

Bear in mind the instrument error in the detection device is +/- 3%, so error range puts this to 78 - 82 kcals.

This is the variance that allegedly "invalidates" CICO.

I thought TEF was more about the 80 cals in an apple requiring 20 cals to digest, and thus supplying a net of 60 cals of energy to the body (just using round numbers for conversation)... so when talking about difference in TEF, it's not person to person, it's comparing the TEF of that apple to the TEF of gummy bears or ribeye.

So proponents of this would say something like, "eating xyz foods increases fat loss because those foods require more energy to digest than do abc foods" completely ignoring the fact that, while factually true, the difference is still insignificant in the scope of an overall diet.

Am I mistaken?

Every discussion I've seen of TEF centers around macronutrients, not individual foods. The values I've commonly seen are ~20-30% for protein, ~5-6% for carbs and ~2-3% for fats, with the TEF of a mixed macronutrient meal being commonly accepted as 10% (source).

So with an apple being almost entirely carbohydrates, the TEF would be around 5-6%. Thus, using your example of an 80 calorie apple, it would supply a net of about 76 calories.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I went looking I was surprised to find that Whey Protein gets metabolised fast. Like really fast. Like faster than sugar. Does that make Whey Protein bad or just different?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    When I went looking I was surprised to find that Whey Protein gets metabolised fast. Like really fast. Like faster than sugar. Does that make Whey Protein bad or just different?
    "Bad" in what context?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It makes sense that a mother’s milk will be optimized for a baby’s growth and development. Calves grow a freaking two pounds a day.

For the longest time I was confused by the presence of protein in both whey and cheese. Wasn’t the whole process intended to separate the protein? But my aha moment was that the whey is fast acting and the casein longer acting. Makes sense to feed a growing calf a distributed load.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

CICO doesn't, to my knowledge, do anything to describe how quickly a food is broken down or absorbed. It describes weight loss or gain. That's it. Not health, energy, absorption rates, vitamin deficiencies, sleep patterns, strength gains, or anything else. Those are all governed by different equations. The existence of many different equations about health doesn't negate any particular equation. It just means we have to pick and choose which ones we prioritize. If weight management is a goal then it's best if CICO is one of them alongside any others.

^I don't know who woo'd this, but I'd like to know if I have something wrong.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

I think I mentioned that upthread. That's supposed to be a benefit of whey vs. other forms of protein, based on the (outdated) idea that it's important to feed your muscles protein really soon after a workout because the window where it allows for max muscle growth is closing fast. (Again, this is not actually true, it's bro science, but was believed to be a big deal and still is by some.)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Does it matter how fast the food converts to energy? If you eat 500 calories and don't expend 500 calories of energy, then you will still be at a net excess in calories. I have been doing this calorie watching thing now for a little over a year. (before this I never counted a calorie). I have been successful in losing weight (not just a couple of pounds - at 50 lost now). I have had weeks when I ate really healthy foods, lost weight and weeks when I ate really horrible unhealthy (if there really is such a thing), lost the same amount of weight. The key is I stay within my calorie limit for the week. So, damn it, I am going to have a bean & cheese taco for breakfast every so often. I will give up something else or just not eat when the bell dings and calorie limit has been reached.

:drinker:
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Does it matter how fast the food converts to energy? If you eat 500 calories and don't expend 500 calories of energy, then you will still be at a net excess in calories. I have been doing this calorie watching thing now for a little over a year. (before this I never counted a calorie). I have been successful in losing weight (not just a couple of pounds - at 50 lost now). I have had weeks when I ate really healthy foods, lost weight and weeks when I ate really horrible unhealthy (if there really is such a thing), lost the same amount of weight. The key is I stay within my calorie limit for the week. So, damn it, I am going to have a bean & cheese taco for breakfast every so often. I will give up something else or just not eat when the bell dings and calorie limit has been reached.

I'm not sure if you were asking the question, or just setting up your post... but to be clear for others who may still be reading...

No, no it doesn't. Faster cals may leave you hungry sooner, but that's about it. The calories are the calories, the energy is the energy.
This discussion has been closed.