Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Calorie in calorie out method is outdated

Options

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    sokkache wrote: »
    I've seen some articles about how calories in and calories out isn't efficient in the long run. Some studies have shown that certain foods do metabolize faster and turn into energy faster than other. Any thoughts?

Yes, some foods do metabolize faster than others... no one disputes that. But that doesn't change the amount of calories/energy they contain, nor does it change/impact the idea of energy balance.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    When it comes down to it it probably isn't enough of a change to matter but I just think its interesting that different molecules do take different amounts of energy to break down and it makes complete sense.

Again, no one is arguing that. It's accounted for, and you're correct, it's not enough to matter.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    I'm not completely disagreeing I was just debating with a friend who asked: does it take longer to convert 500 calories of "unhealthy food" vs. 500 calories of "healthy" food. To be fair I was on the CICO side until we did extensive Google searches. And btw, the article does cite multiple peer reviewed studies.

Again, how long it takes has nothing to do with energy balance. Do you understand what CICO is/means?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    tntwise2 wrote: »
    Well . . . I heard that eating celery actually BURNS more calories because you have to either chew the strings or expend energy taking them off the stalk :o) Seriously, this went around back in my younger days

It belongs in the "negative calorie" food group. :s
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    @CSARdiver Awesome. <3
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    tntwise2 wrote: »
    Well . . . I heard that eating celery actually BURNS more calories because you have to either chew the strings or expend energy taking them off the stalk :o) Seriously, this went around back in my younger days

Unfortunately, some people still believe this. :disappointed:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I've seen some articles about how calories in and calories out isn't efficient in the long run. Some studies have shown that certain foods do metabolize faster and turn into energy faster than other. Any thoughts?

TEF is part of the CO in the equation. It doesn't negate the equation or make it obsolete.

Yes, it will be harder for my body to breakdown 300 calories of chicken breast than it will to breakdown 300 calories of cotton candy...but in the context of an otherwise healthful and balanced diet, none of this really matters.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,050 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think the point of the article is that just relying how many calories you eat to make weight loss easier can be a mistake for your weight and health depending on your circumstances.
    BOTTOM LINE:
    Saying that weight gain is caused by excess calories is true, but meaningless. It tells you nothing about the actual cause.

There is no one diet for all. Someone saying that they "lost weight while eating healthy/low carb/vegan/whatever so anyone can" is not always true. Denying that others can lose weight easier and faster if they take into account the foods they are eating, or even why they are eating, because it didn't work that way for them is pretty egocentric and not very helpful to the others.

For some people, what foods you eat will affect their weight whether it is from hormones, health insulin and BG levels, greater protein or fibre, or simply because they are more satiated. It isn't huge number differences, but it's there.

JMO YMMV

On a different note, I am seeing a LOT of articles along the same lines lately and MFP forums often responds that CICO is just an energy balance. I don't disagree, but I am starting to think that definition is outdated and NOT what the vast majority of the public, outside of MFP, thinks of it as.

Sort of like when my kids started calling good things sick. That word's definition has really grown. Perhaps it's time to consider CICO as coming with a broader definition?

In my view, one of the problems with this strategy in this case is that it's really tough to explain what's actually going on (the influence of energy balance) without using any of the terms that have now been redefined to mean something different. Can it be done? Yes. But it's more confusing.

The terminology (or at least the concept) being central to any sensible discussion is part of what makes "CICO" redefinition more challenging than redefinition of "sick" or "literally".

That's without even getting into considering whether "new CICO" has any kind of clearer definition than does (say) "clean eating".
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,050 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Thank you all for helping my curiosity. I posted this with a question. Any thoughts? And I guess apparently I didn't do my research so thanks I will read all the articles you have posted about this because I am just genuinely curious about the chemistry of it not the weight loss.

An excellent detector of woo is generalized, non-specific statements that on the surface appear to contradict, but simply do not stand up to investigative rigor.

TEF is real; however the actual difference does not exceed the error in instrumentation. Same with metabolic adaptation, microbiome variance, hormone variance, adaptive thermogenesis, etc.

To put this into real numbers the amount of variance would go something like this:

Calculated calorie content in an apple = 80 kcals

Patient A's caloric use = 78
    Patient B's caloric use = 80
    Patient C's caloric use = 81

Bear in mind the instrument error in the detection device is +/- 3%, so error range puts this to 78 - 82 kcals.

This is the variance that allegedly "invalidates" CICO.

Darn science guys wreck all our useful delusions. Hrmph.

;)
This discussion has been closed.