Just curious: what's your go-to choice when menus have nothing you'd want to eat?

Hi, all. I've been on maintenance for almost 3 years, using MFP for 6. We eat out a lot, and sometimes there is nothing on the menu that I would eat. (I've become a picky eater and am very health conscious ... almost vegetarian/vegan, but not quite.) I always check the menu online beforehand, so if there is NOTHING, I will pre-eat and then have a side salad. If there is a Caesar, I order it without croutons, some extra Parmesan, and dressing on the side, with broiled salmon shrimp on top. I am very satisfied with that. I have found similar things when it is a more ethnic restaurant. I don't feel at all deprived when the menu is one that doesn't work. Years ago, I would have been frustrated about this, but for a long time I have been pretty happy with my food choices, and the way I relate to food for the past bunch of years. But I was just curious as to what others do when they have this situation?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I'm not particularly picky. That said, any restaurant around here that my wife would let me take her to is one where I can find something suitable for my calorie budget. She nixes sushi.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I won't go to a restaurant or fast food place if they don't have anything I want, same if my family is with me.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Most places always seem to have a small sirloin or a chicken breast option and a veggie choice that isn't slathered in butters and sauces. Salads are always a mixed bag because they put too much crap on or the dressing choices are like a billion calories a tbsp.

I've ordered burgers and nixed the bun (meat and veggies!), ordered grilled shrimp from the appetizer menu, whatever. Most places I can find something. Even if I don't and have a 1,000 calorie quesadilla or something, not the end of the world. Have half and move on...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I have occasionally found myself in that situation, but not regularly. Sometimes on vacation where the local food doesn't fit my tastebuds, or at a party or similar. But not regularly. I cook and eat at home, for the most part. So I would ask why you're eating out so often. Are you bored? Pickyness is dynamic and complicated; often it comes from too little variety, sometimes from too many choices. Being health conscious doesn't rhyme with having a restricted/restrictive diet (imo).
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2018
    I’m not picky at all. I can usually always find something that I want. However since restaurants are so expensive we really only ever go to places that we really like. We don’t typically go to places like chili’s or on the border, we prefer local places as their food is better. We only go out 2-3 times a month.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    The only time I could see me having this issue is a sea food restaurant since I don't like sea food. I might just be eating side dishes or a salad if there were really no other options. I don't go to seafood restaurants though.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    My husband is pescetarian and if we're somewhere that doesn't offer much for him, he usually gets a grilled cheese and a salad, or mac n' cheese and another vegetable side that isn't cooked with any meat (i.e., bacon in green beans).

Where we live, there are many homestyle restaurants and BBQ places and breakfast is usually the best option for me and my husband because neither of us is interested in things like ribs or brisket. A veggie skillet & coffee for each of us with home fries for him & sausage for me, and we're happy.

I am not all that picky so I usually can find something anywhere. I super hate Sonic Drive-In and if I go there I get a corn dog and diet limeade. Fortunately that only happens like once every 3 years when I am with friends who have very young kids.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    This happens to me when I travel for work sometimes. We are required to choose certain restaurants to have meals reimbursed. I figure if nothing sounds great, it makes it easy for me to pick something that is at least going to be spot on for my macros. Restaurants where everything sounds amazing make it easy for me to overindulge :)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I probably wouldn't go to a restaurant that had nothing on the menu that I was interested in eating. I've never had this issue. I go to a restaurant specifically because I'm wanting this or that or the other.

This.....whats up Wolfman? Been taking your foodie advice. Blue apron is amazing btw 2 times a week!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I probably wouldn't go to a restaurant that had nothing on the menu that I was interested in eating. I've never had this issue. I go to a restaurant specifically because I'm wanting this or that or the other.

This. I'm not going to go out and spend money on something I don't want to eat.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    There are many "popular" chain and local (to me) restaurants that I won't even step in because I already know they don't have anything to offer that I'd want to order.

If I'm not familiar w/a restuarant that I just happen to find walking around, I'll review the menu if it's posted outside or ask to see the menu b4 being seated.

If there's nothing on the menu that I want to order, I'll just leave and try to find someplace else to eat.

BTW, my choice of where to eat is not just based on what is being served. The cost of the food, the interior decor/layout of the restaurant and the anticipated quality of the experienced based on all factors combined also come into play when I decide to eat out or not.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2018
    try2again wrote: »
    Why would anyone eat out & pay a premium price for something they don't want?
    Well I’m not the OP but we often meet my parents out at restaurants for dinner and my mom is super picky so I usually just eat wherever she wants to go. I don’t always *love* what I’m eating